PDA

View Full Version : hand casting with magma molds

billyb
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
There have several post's lately about handcasting with the magma molds. I use four of the magma mols in 45 auto, the RN and the SWC. You need to modify RCBS or lee mold handles to use with the magma molds. I used lee handles beeing cheaper than the RCBS. I cut the lee handles off at the mounting holes. Then cut a notch in the right side of the handle to clear the sprue bolt. I then put the mold blocks in place and center punched the handles for mounting pins I used 1/8 x 3/4 inch pins from ace hardware and set screws. If you do not have the little arm sticking over the sprue plate bolt the right side of the mold will flop around. Once I had the handles drilled i mounted the mold blocks and checked to see if the mold closed properly. Had to tweak them a little go get the mold to close properly. Hope this helps. Bill

runfiverun
02-27-2009, 01:00 AM
or you could buy a set of handles from them for about 35.00
if you ain't the handy type.
do you still use their sprue cutters or change them out for traditional ones??

mooman76
02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I did one. Not sure if it was a Magma or not but it was a RCBS that I got cheap on an auction, I figure because it was for a machine. I barrowed the parts off another RCBS and they fit. Only thing was if I remember correctly was one of the holes, the hole that the screw for the sprew plate wasn't threaded but it didn't matter much because it had a side locking screw to hold it in place. I've been meaning to order the parts to make it permanent but haven't done it yet. I was hoping they had a kit like Lyman but Haven't see anything.