PDA

View Full Version : Case separation in 7.62x25 CZ-52

Bert2368
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Took a CZ-52 to the range with a new batch of (surplus) ammo. Everything was going well for the first couple of magazines, then on the 3rd magazine, the gun fired and the next round would not fully chamber.

Took the gun apart, and the last round that fired completely separated at the front of the bottleneck, leaving a ring of brass right at the back of the throat. The next round that didn't fully chamber very slightly rolled the stuck piece of case neck brass inward, the slight lip is not enough to catch and pull out with any tool at my disposal.

I have heard of using a properly sized tap to engage a separated case and pull it out, but I'm a bit nervous to get a tap that close to the rifling- plus I don't have an appropriate one on hand.

Any suggestions?

richbug
02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Don't put a tap anywhere near your barrel unless you want to replace it. Try using a 38 caliber cleaning brush.

R.C. Hatter
02-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Use Kroil generously to lube the chamber between the stuck case & chamber wall. Make sure Kroil penetrates that area. Then use a much oversize bore brush to push the stuck brass out. If that doesn't work, use a dental pick first on one side, then the other, to pull the brass out, a bit at a time, being careful you don't scratch the chamber wall.

largom
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Soak the partial stuck case first with Kroil or other penetrating oil, let stand for several minutes then use a tight bore brush as suggested.
Larry

Thin Man
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Bert,
If the oversize cleaning brush does not work for you, remember that a good tool already exists for your project. It is the US military ruptured case removal tool for the 30'06 and/or 308 rifle cartridges. Just operate it by hand and it should cause no damage to your chamber. Good luck.
Thin Man

Willbird
02-26-2009, 03:00 PM
You might also try a TIGHT patch from the muzzle end.

They do make broken case removers, they were issued with many machine guns, but probably not for 7.62x25....they have fingers which collapse until they get thru the neck then they open back up and pull on the case mouth, they often have an extractor groove on the back to allow using the guns own mechanism to pull the case out.

Bill

jdgabbard
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
You could also try chamber casting the barrel. If the lip is enough it might let it grab hold enough to tap it out. But then again it might solder it to the barrel.... Tough decision. I would see if I could get my hands on a removal tool...

I would definately check headspace afterwards though. The CZ-52 doesn't typically have problems with ammo rupturing. Your ammo didn't come in a PINK box did it??? If it did it is whats called PROOF ammo. Stay away from that stuff. If your rupturing cases something is wrong. I've never had problems with that. Most if not all 7.62x25 ammo I've ever laid eyes on hasn't been older then mid '70s...

Bert2368
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
The ammo is Eastern block surplus, white box, cyrilic writing, we've burned several boxes of it with no problem in this and other CZ 52's. Main problem we've noted before is two foot long muzzle flashes when it's fired. If you think of it as special effects products rather than ammo, it's kind of cool.

I got the piece of brass out... The brushes and patches recomended above didn't do it.

I finally went through the junk tool drawer untill I found a small Chinese flat screwdriver that had stripped the first time it was used. Tested it, found that the barrel scratched the tool instead of the other way around! Ground it to a narrow point, took a small plastic hammer to tap it between the piece of brass and the chamber wall in 3 places, collapsing the ring of brass and making a place to get a dowel against the brass, hand pressure on a dowel down the barrel finaly removed it. Chamber and barrel still looking as good as when I got the pistol.

Wouldn't have had the courage to do that with an expensive gun-

The piece of brass has rifling marks on the front 1/8" or so. I think the case may have been over length? The rest of that ammo is going to need a careful looking over.

jdgabbard
02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah, the 7.62x25 is a mighty round, as well as a loud bark and it breaths fire too. Glad you have the problem fixed. Like I mentioned before, watch out for the pink box stuff... Bad news...

richbug
02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
The piece of brass has rifling marks on the front 1/8" or so. I think the case may have been over length? The rest of that ammo is going to need a careful looking over.

More likely the neck of the case took a ride with the bullet, and swaged the rifling onto itself when it stopped. I had it happen in a S&W 44 mag once, the front 1/2 of the case got stock in the forcing cone. Made it a real bear to get out since the case swelled to fill the forcing cone.

Bert2368
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
richbug-

Yes, that's a good guess as to how it ended up like that. Case mouth was definitely a good ways ahead of where it would have been for the shell to fire if case length was correct, and if it were that much overlength it wouldn't have locked up and fired. Thanks!

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
what he said. Ive used one for the cetme a few times and they work great and are only 10 bucks or so. Good to have in the tool box at the range.
Bert,
If the oversize cleaning brush does not work for you, remember that a good tool already exists for your project. It is the US military ruptured case removal tool for the 30'06 and/or 308 rifle cartridges. Just operate it by hand and it should cause no damage to your chamber. Good luck.
Thin Man

Willbird
02-28-2009, 09:19 AM
what he said. Ive used one for the cetme a few times and they work great and are only 10 bucks or so. Good to have in the tool box at the range.

Will that fit in a 7.62x25 chamber ? :-)