PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 woes

Lead melter
02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Does anyone make a seating die with a throat alarge enough to allow the use of .379-.380" boolits? My Lee die gives me fits as it constantly seats the boolit deeper in the neck as I try to crimp.
What about the RCBS Cowboy dies?
Can the throat on a Lee die be opened enough for use with this diameter and still be used to crimp?
Someone, anyone?

oneokie
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I use RCBS 38-55 dies, (made in the 60's) and RCBS 375 Win dies and have no problems with .381" boolits.

The Cowboy dies are supposed to be more generous in interior dimensions.

FromTheWoods
02-26-2009, 02:55 AM
RCBS Cowboys here also.

August
02-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Everything smoothed out in my 38-55 world when I purchased RCBS Cowboy Dies!!!

McLintock
02-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I load .380 and .381 bullets in my smokeless loads and the Cowboy Dies work good, but Hornady's also work fine.
McLintock

R. Dupraz
02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Lead melter:

I must be missing something here, because the diameter of the die has nothing to do with depth of seating, it's the seating stem that controls the seating depth of the bullet.

I also load for a 38-55 using .380" cast bullets. My dies are the RCBS "cowboy set but they don't work any different. Just back off the seating stem untill the bullet is seated where you want it.

Or, try this.....

1. Run an empty case up into the seating die, backing the die out, untill the case can be fully inserted in the die without hitting the crimping flange. Lock the die down for now.

2. Back the seating stem off all the way ( screw it all the way up). Then put a bullet in the case mouth and run the case all the way up into the die. Screw the seating stem down al little at a time untill the case mouth and crimping groove are exactly where you want them. Then back the seating stem out all the way again.

3. Leave the round where it is and screw the die down untill you can get the degree of crimp you want. Lock it there. Leave the round where it is.

4. Now, Screw the seating stem down so that it touches the seated bullet and there you have it.

RD

eka
02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
RD, the problem with some of these larger diameter boolits is that the die body interior diameter is too small and the boolit starts being seated before it gets to the seating stem. Not the case with all dies, but the Cowboy dies have plenty of room for the large boolit so nothing pushes it into the case but the stem.

Keith

451whitworth
02-27-2009, 08:14 PM
i have Lyman dies i have work fine for seating my .381" bullets. the problem i had was the case expander/bell was set up for .375" bullets. i had to make a bigger one on the lathe to keep from deforming the brass during seating.

R. Dupraz
02-28-2009, 07:14 AM
eka :

Thanks, guess I did learn someting today, Now you've got my curiosity up. I load for a couple of 38-55's. One a Marlin Cowboy which the chamber neck has been opened up a little (common fix for these). The RCBS Cowby dies are used for the Marlin. And A CPA-Stevens SS. A Lyman set is used for this one.

The cast bullets for the Marlin run .380-.381 in order to make things fit. Then the fired case is sized just enough to hold the these bullets, no more. Because of this oversize condition , the rounds are squeezed down a little when pushed up into the seater. I know this because I have pulled a few seated bullets and measured them. But this "squeeze in no way pushes the bullet down past the crimping goove.

Regards
Rd

missionary5155
02-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Good morning
We have to remember dies are made to the Standard" and + - . Then rifles are made + - . Then cases are nade + - .... So by the time we ahve all the componets all those + - īs are against us.
ITaken a seating die and opening up that "Throat" is as easy a s opening a mold. One "fat" bullet cast with a long wood screw in the base and some Valve Gringing compound will releve that "tighness" in about 30 minutes. Ole used seating dies are found for a couple bucks. This is a very simple solution.
God Bless you

runfiverun
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
i went with the 38-55 win ballard die set it has enough room for the 380-1 sized boolitss.
i use them for the longer brass and larger boolits in my 375 win/marlin lever.

KirkD
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I use Lee dies and seat boolits that are up to .381" in diameter without any problem EXCEPT I do not crimp them in the die. Instead, I use a Lee Factory crimp die. No problems that way.