PDA

View Full Version : Small Pistol Primers in the 45 ACP?

jaycocreek
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I bought 1,000 Speer 45ACP once fired brass and come to find out they take the small pistol primer not the large pistol primer.Would you use the standard small pistol primer or the magnum with Winchester 231?

How does the hottness of a small regular pistol primer and a small magnum pistol primer compare to a regular large pistol primer?

Thanks

Jayco

felix
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Standard, with zero doubt. ... felix

jaycocreek
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I am interested if anyone knows the burning rate(Hotness) of the small pistol primer/small Magnum pistol primer compared to the large pistol primer..All primers are not the same whether Magnum or not in hotness.In actual pressure test with RX-7 in the 45-70 and Starline cases there is absolutely no pressure change at all changing from the CCI-200 to the CCI#34(Mag Primer).

It seems it is a given to loose 30-50 fps switching to a small pistol primer over the standard large pistol primer in the 45acp with the same charge of powder.Would the Mag primer equal things out both in velocity and pressure or would it be overkill?

Jayco

scrapcan
02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
look up primer brissance test. I cannot remember where I read it so you may have to do a net search. But it could be on this site also. Hmmm I just cannot remember.

jaycocreek
02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I guess I should have mentioned I am currently using Winchester-231 in my 45 acp which to my understanding is a ball powder like W-760 some of us use in rifles which is also recommended by some to use Mag Primers with Ball Powders.

Because the normal(If there is such a word) 45 acp case comes with a primer pocket for a large pistol primer, most of us,especially me,wonder how to get the same velocity with the same pressure as posted data for a large rifle primer with a small in the 45acp.

The hard way(for me who is lazy:-D) is to work up the load following the chronograph's velocity compared to published data as a pressure tool for us poor guys that can't afford the real deal.

I appreciate the answers..Thank you..

Jayco

35remington
02-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Jayco, apples and oranges. W231 is a ball powder, true, but it has more in common with other fast pistol powders of the easily ignited flake variety than rifle ball powders, which are heavily deterred in some instances, which is why a magnum primer is sometimes recommended. It really (W231) ain't a bit like W-760 - they just happen to both be ball powders. Ball powders can be very easily ignited when speaking of fast pistol ball powders, which W231 is.

Stick with standard primers when using W231.

".....especially me, wonder how to get the same velocity with the same pressure as posted data for a large rifle primer with a small in the 45acp."

You mean the same velocity/pressure as posted data for a large pistol primer with a small pistol primer in the 45 ACP, right? No rifle primers!

The 45 ACP powder column is short, easily ignited, and relatively close to the primer even given powder position variances. Powder charges are not that large, and certainly 357 powder charges may be very similar in weight using fast powders, and they do fine with standard small pistol. Sweating over primers is probably needless worrying. Get your standard small pistol, load up your W231, bang away and have fun.

It's likely you won't notice a whole lot of difference.

Don McDowell
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Loggerdude, just go with the small pistol primers and don't sweat the small stuff.
They'll ignite all the 231 a 45 acp can handle with ease.

zxcvbob
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Just separate the LP brass from the SP brass. If you have enough SP brass to reload, there's no problem. It's only bad when a few small primer cases get mixed in with your larges and you don't find out until your primer goes Crunch! (or maybe Bang!) at the loading station.

It probably doesn't make any difference whether you use SP, SPM, or SR primers in a .45ACP. If you are loading either minimum or maximum loads, you might have to adjust the powder a little.

jaycocreek
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Loggerdude.:-D:-D:-DSounds like my Canadian Lawyer friend from the North giving me heck.

Thanks guys.I admit I am a novice when it comes to the 45acp.I have loaded 500 rounds or so without a glitch for the wifes and sons Ruger and Taurus 45s and only recently bought a Springfield 1911 for myself.

I could kick myself in the rear for not reading the fine print on the brass I just bought and wondered why it was in stock while other name brands were not.Another lesson learned just like hunting.Once you think you have it all down you get slammed with a new situation you have never faced before.

Thank you for the replies as I agree after sleeping on it and settling down.

Jayco

mike in co
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I am interested if anyone knows the burning rate(Hotness) of the small pistol primer/small Magnum pistol primer compared to the large pistol primer..All primers are not the same whether Magnum or not in hotness.In actual pressure test with RX-7 in the 45-70 and Starline cases there is absolutely no pressure change at all changing from the CCI-200 to the CCI#34(Mag Primer).

It seems it is a given to loose 30-50 fps switching to a small pistol primer over the standard large pistol primer in the 45acp with the same charge of powder.Would the Mag primer equal things out both in velocity and pressure or would it be overkill?

Jayco

cci34 is NOT A MAG PRIMER. it is a milspec wantabe primer...which means a heavier cup to minimize floating firing pins from setting them off.

jaycocreek
02-26-2009, 12:06 PM
CCI#34 Pimer

FEATURES & BENEFITS:

* Mil-spec sensitivity
* Initiator mix optimized for ball/spherical propellants
* Available in large (No.34) and small (No. 41) rifle
* Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers