PDA

View Full Version : Pewter question..

FN in MT
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Found some pewter vases and intend to use the TIN content for casting. On the bottom there is the marking "94%". I'm assuming that means 94% Pewter?? or could that be 94% TIN??

No matter what they are, they weigh roughly 5#'s so for FREE thats some cheap tin.

FN in MT

fourarmed
02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Should mean 94% tin. The remainder is a mixture of copper, antimony, and lead.

waksupi
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I was talking to a pewtersmith at our shooting club meeting last night about this. He says most of the new commercial pewter has zinc in it, so be careful until you melt it down ,and see how it acts.

rickomatic
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I've had good luck with any "pewter" I've found that was actually marked pewter on the bottom. I've yet to see any where there were %'s marked on them. I only put an ounce or so into a 10# pot of WW and it seems to work fine. I need to find a fishing sinker mold to recast my pewter into. Even the 1/2 # Lee ingots are pretty hard to cut up.

fourarmed
02-26-2009, 12:44 PM
rickomatic, I love your avatar. Two of the greatest characters in film, and the greatest film ever made.

zardoz
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
+1 on the avatar...

"Childrens ice cream, Mandrake!"

FN in MT
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Strangelove is one of my favorites as well. So many great characters!

General Ripper is my favorite though. Especially like when he pulls the .30 Browning out of his golf club bag!! Priceless.

FN in MT

rickomatic
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
We must remember to protect our precious bodily fluids..........

I have recently found out that Peter Sellers was a real SOB in real life. But I still love his films, especially Dr. Strangelove.

fourarmed
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM
"One GI .45 automatic, two boxes of shells, one issue prophylactics, one issue nylon stockings..."

FN in MT
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
"Shoot! A fella could have a pretty good time in Veags with all that stuff"!

Maj Kong USAF Deceased

Bret4207
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I was about about to post the same thing about the avatar! "Ever been tortured Mandrake?..." Great movie, but it's all lost on today's generation that gets a blank look when you say "Rooskies" or mention the Soviets.

Personally I think George C. Scott did a far better job in "Dr. Stranglove" than Patton.

As for Sellers real life personality he'll join a lot of other actors who weren't so nice in real life. In fact, it's hard to find too many that are anywhere near nice in real life when you get poking around.

cajun shooter
02-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I bought my wife around $2000 worth of Armetale pewter 3 years back. I picked up some nice pieces for her on flea-bay over a 6 month period. After reading this section I went and looked and it's the modern version that has 10 different metals in it. You can even cook on top of the stove with it. I did one deal where I received about 20 plates with half of them tarnished and the other half good. I Was looking at them and she said why are you looking at my pewter? I said that some guys were making bullets out of it and she said "OH No Not My Pewter" I laughed and told her that the Armetale had the wrong make up and she "Thank God For That"

FN in MT
02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
As for Sellers real life personality he'll join a lot of other actors who weren't so nice in real life. In fact, it's hard to find too many that are anywhere near nice in real life when you get poking around.

Back in the mid 1980's they filmed the "Canadian Border shootout " scene from "The Untouchables" about five miles from my home. I was the MT State Trooper for the area as well. So with the road closings, sightseer's, etc I was at the site quite a lot.

Sean Connery is about as BIG as they get and he was a total Gentlemen. Always had time to sign autographs, talk with fans, or pose for photos. I was a big 007 fan as a kid so meeting Connery was a big deal. We had several conversations around the set from everything from flyfishing to fast cars and Walther PPK's. Hell of a guy.

Many years ago I helped with a Benefit for a College and Bob Hope was the Master of Ceremonies. Another absolute Gentlemen.

FN in MT

454PB
02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
You also were not far from the river scenes in "Thunderbolt And Lightfoot" then. As I recall, it was right around the "scenic overlook".

That shack that was shot up in "The Untouchables" stood there for a very long time before it was removed.

I used to play a lot of music at The Missouri Inn.