PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex in 375 JDJ

JohnH
01-29-2006, 12:51 AM
They say there's more than one way to skin a cat, and after trying every useable powder I have on hand I decided at the end of my session today to try a dose of Pyrodex. Taking a wild stab in the dark based on various things I've read over time, I filled a case to the just abouve the neck/shoulder juncture, weighed that, (41.5 grains) poured it into a volumetric measure (55 grains) then loaded and fired 5 such rounds.

I didn't clean the barrel or make any other changes, and was rewarded with 4 shots in one hole and a single flyer. Pretty good I thought, better than anything else Iv'e tried so far. So I'm going to try some more of this next chance of shooting I get, rain is moving in, Sunday is a wash.

A couple of questions,

Is FWFL ok to use for this or should I make up a lube better suited to black and it's substitutes?

Is there any more to cleaning cases fired with Pyrodex than simply washing with hot soapy water, then rinsing and leaving to stand on the case mouth to dry?

Buckshot
01-29-2006, 04:31 AM
..................JohnH, ah yes just having a good time :-)! I reloaded a buddies 30-06 with a few full of BP for a shooting deal we were having when I lived in the sticks. The look on his face after the first round was totally worth it!

"Is there any more to cleaning cases fired with Pyrodex than simply washing with hot soapy water, then rinsing and leaving to stand on the case mouth to dry?"

Some folks put them on a cookie sheet then in the oven overnight, where the pilot light supplies enough heat to dry them inside. Then into the case tumbler.

...............Buckshot

StarMetal
01-29-2006, 11:58 AM
If you think the Pyrodex was good try their Triple 777, for one thing it cleans alot easier then the Pyrodex and it's packs alot more power.

Joe

bruce drake
10-10-2006, 12:28 PM
So just what cartridges are good with Pyrodex? I've got a few pounds left over from my Muzzleloader days and I'm thinking of loading for a Mosin, an Enfield and one or two Arisakas.

Is it ok to use in bottleneck cases or strictly a straight-case proposition?

Bruce

NickSS
10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
The best accuracy I ever got with substutute black powder was with Pyrodex RL in a 45-70 with a 405 gr Lyman boolit. Five shots into 3/4 inch at 100 yards with my Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express. The rifle is now a 45-90 but still shoots well. This was no fluke group as I shot several and they averaged right around 3/4 inch. The load was 65 gr by Volume with an 030 vegitable fiber wad and a Winchester LRP in Winchester brass.

Buckshot
10-11-2006, 02:56 AM
So just what cartridges are good with Pyrodex? I've got a few pounds left over from my Muzzleloader days and I'm thinking of loading for a Mosin, an Enfield and one or two Arisakas.

Is it ok to use in bottleneck cases or strictly a straight-case proposition?

Bruce

............I don't know for long term how any of'em would be. Sure wouldn't take long to load a few and make a report of their utility :-)? I'd sure be interested in hearing!

.................Buckshot

44man
10-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Lots of fun shooting them like that. I would get a different lube for it though. Lar45 makes a fantastic BP lube and I would get some. Treat Pyrodex the same as regular black and make sure you wash the cases and gun with water, not Hoppe's. Pyrodex is even more corrosive then black powder. If you try 777, stay with a BP lube for it too.
Compress Pyrodex a little for best results but do not compress 777, it hates it! Load 777 so the boolit just touches it snug.
Use a drop tube or vibrate the cases to get more in.