PDA

View Full Version : almost free wheel weights

oldtoolsniper
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I posted this in response to making sinkers but it's more along the line of getting your wheel weights for next to nothing after you get the molds.

I cast my own. I use do it molds. I do split shot and jig heads for the most part. Here is the secret to getting wheel weights.. Cast the jig heads in popular sizes for your area and when you pick-up your wheel weights drop a hundred off for the tire guys who fish. 1000 hooks run about 28 bucks and you will be number one in line for those wheel weights. For even more bang for the buck get the powder coating dip color and dip the jigs after heating in different colors and they will call you to come and get the wheel weights. If I offered them 2 or three bucks for a pail of wheel weights they would be offended, If I give them 2 or three bucks worth of jig heads for a pail of wheel weights they think I am the greatest guy ever and they common sense tells them no wheel weights no jig heads. Who do you think gets the wheel weights?

The bright green head on the mold was done with a lighter in mere seconds in the powder coat dip. If you paint them it takes forever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/jigheads001.jpg

Dean D.
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Great idea! I'm sure those guys at the tire shop enjoy seeing you drive up!

Gunslinger
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Okay... now I just gotta figure out how to get the local tire guys interested in fishing.... where to get chap fishing rods, he he :-D

mpmarty
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Old Sniper that is a fabulous idea. I've been paying $50 a five gallon bucket for WW. Now I'm gonna ask who at the tire store shoots and offer them sized lubed bullets for their favorite caliber in exchange for WW. Wow! What an idea. thanks.

oldtoolsniper
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Oregon.. Think salmon those jigs work with marabou feathers tied to them when the salmon are running. Fish them with a fly rod like a bead head nymph only less work to tie. I used to tie them on the tailgate of my pick-up with a cheap vice and a pile of different colors of marabou until we hit the right colors. The right colors of marabou slapped on some jig heads are priceless when the Salmon are running.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
sounds reasonable, I bought 2300lbs yesterday for 25-cents a pound. The guy says he will have that much every two months, and we have a handshake deal for the rest of this year/

Rich
smelter man!

Down South
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
sounds reasonable, I bought 2300lbs yesterday for 25-cents a pound. The guy says he will have that much every two months, and we have a handshake deal for the rest of this year/

Rich
smelter man!

2300 lbs every two months is a lot of lead. I've been collecting for over a year and I may, just may have 2300 lbs stashed back. But on the other hand I get my WW free.

357maximum
02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Just be sure so clean the eyelet out if you are oven curing the powder paint after application......that is some tuff stuff after a cure in the oven.....you can smoosh the jighead flat and the paint will almost refuse to crack....if you leave it in the eye then cure.....u b scrwd

oldtoolsniper
02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
ya wern't supposed ta look that close

357maximum
02-25-2009, 11:57 PM
ya wern't supposed ta look that close

I have spent many hours fixing that one ooopsie.....now I chip it off before I cure it..makes life much more pleasant....that pro-tech stuff is tougher than woodpecker lips.

I like your system, but I have taken it a bit further...I have a few pards that come to me to get jigheads...they bring a bucket or two of ww with them and we swap....I spend no gas money that way...and they do 90% of the lifting.:twisted:

I "let" the same fellas come out every fall and fill my boolit traps with them big ol 12 gauge soft slugs...ain't I a nice feller[smilie=1::twisted: