PDA

View Full Version : Actual weights?

dk17hmr
02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Given the fact that cases dont always weigh the same even from the same manufacturer how do you keep the weight of your swaged bullets close to the same?

elk hunter
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
In my case most, but not all, of the bullets I make from fired cases are for big bore cartridges i.e. .375 and larger and most are used only for practice as commercial bullets for the larger calibers are expensive, some costing several dollars each. The .416 bullets I make from 30-30 brass actually weigh between 405 and 420 grains. I could control the weight better by weighing each case and the two cast 38 wad cutters that I use for the core, or by using extruded lead wire for cores, but I haven't as they shoot well enough for what I use them for. A solid hit on the 14" square metal plate target at 200 yards is very satisfying and repeatable. Jackets drawn from tubing with cores made from extruded lead wire can make very accurate and deadly hunting bullets. Numerous elk have fallen to my tubing jacketed 368 grain 45-70 bullets over the years.

Bottom line, bullets made by an individual by what ever process, casting or swaging, are fun, expand your mind and test your skills.

Ballard
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I have used J-4, Sierra, Gardiner, and .22rf jackets. I weigh 10, take an avg. and squirt cores to a weight that, along with the avg wt. of the jackets, gives me the weight I want.

BT Sniper
02-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I weigh each case with elctronic scale and sort by the grain. Do the same for the cores but sort them by the .5 grain. Sort them into seperate containers and have been able to maintain about 1 grain consitancy between all the bullets. This is with 40 S&W cases for jackets and a 252 grain final weight bullet. Sounds like alot of work but with an electronic scale it will go pretty fast. Have seen the cases vary by as much as 10 grains but 90% of them fall within 4 grains of each other. My cores cast from a mold have been within about 2 grains of each other. This could equal atleast a 6 grain difference if I didn't sort them.
Probably not really needed for the shooting I do but I have been shipping bullets out to others and want them as close as possible.
Would not even think of weight sorting without an elctronic scale. I have time but not that much time.

Elk Hunter, if I ever make the drive down there I'll look you up. From your posts sounds like you have alot of fun making and shooting bullets. I have spent alot of time chasing elk in eastern Or. I make it challenging and use a bow. Not alot of success but alot of fun indeed. I can see in the neer future a large game animal falling to a hand made bullet of my own design. What a rewarding feeling that must be.

Good shooting guys,