PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder removal?

rockrat
02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Have a Smith 625 I need to remove the cylinder. Does the ejector rod have left hand or right hand threads? Thanks

redneckdan
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Left hand. Put six empty cases in the cylinder and then use a tap wrench to unscrew the rod. Cases will prevent the star from shearing the guide pins and the tap wrench will not bugger up the end of the ejector rod.

Pepe Ray
02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I hate to be presumptuous.
Do you mean that you must remove the cylinder from the crane? Or just from the frame?
One is simpler than the other.
Pepe Ray

9.3X62AL
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Unless the 625 has some new attachment regimen, there is no need to dismount the ejector rod to simply remove the cylinder from the frame. Unscrew the crane retention screw (lowest/right screw, across from crane pivot), remove crane/cylinder assembly forward from the frame, and the cylinder and ejector rod will seperate from the crane easily.

rockrat
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Plan on replacing the cylinder. I have another from another 625 and going to see if it will work. Much better dimensionally on the cylinder throats.

Three44s
02-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Try the book that Beartooth bullets sells:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Look and click on the left side bar on "book" ......

A definite "best buy"!!!

Three 44s

AZ-Stew
02-26-2009, 12:14 AM
The length of the replacement cylinder may not be correct for your gun. I have two M-48 .22 Magnums. I had the S&W West Coast Service Center fit a .22LR cylinder to one of them. When I put it in the other gun, the cylinder will not close. The distance from the surface that seats against the recoil shield to the forward end where the cylinder seats against the rear of the crane is too great.

If the same dimension is too short on your replacement cylinder, you'll get excessive "end shake", which, anong other things, won't contribute to accuracy.

Regards,

Stew