PDA

View Full Version : Martini..what to look for

218bee
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, another fairly general question if ys don't mind. In a previous post I stated I saw two almost complete rifles for sale both in 40/60 Maynard. One was a Roller and one a Martini. I really wish I would have looked them over better. They are around 100mi one way from me and haven't been out that way since but have been thinking about trying to get back out there and giving them a better look see. I know nothing about the Martini's. What can ya tell me to look for if I see them again (if its still there). Is there a good or bad action? Would there be numbers or markings I should be aware of.? What are the actions worth? If I did pick one up, I would be shooting Black in it. I guess cases can be formed from 303Brit. Don't know about loading/forming dies though. Anyway I've been thinking about this one and it may be a good one, it may also be gone...don't know. If I remember right the gut wanted $1100. for it..I know it had a new barrel on it and maybe a new stock..

The Double D
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
First saying you saw a Martini is like saying you saw a Winchester. There are lots of Winchesters and there are lots of Martini's. You need a lot more description than that.

You must use extreme caution when buying a large Martini as many, many of these guns have been brought back from Afghanistan by unsuspecting GI's and are counterfiets and fakes. On the other hand some very rare and significant Martini's have also been brought back. There are some really good ones out there.

In the big Martini's there are British military patterns and Commercial patterns. There are two Basic military patterns; the Slope back and the hump back. For a basic guide on the military patterns go to www.martinihenry.com.

You could find a completely clean action and it could be a perfectly legitimate commercial Martini or a scrubbed Military.

Most Commercial Martini's are slope back.

There is also the Greener Pattern which is a humpback and usually has a safety.

Additionally there are Francotte patterns---yes there are large and small action Francottes.

There are any number of European made Martini's with slight variations of the normal pattern.

$1100 seems a bit high especially for a matteblue, oil finish plain stocked rifle on a military action.

But a nicely executed stock and rust blue barrel & action or maybe even color cased action could easily be worth that. A true commercial sporter action rifle redone in this caliber could well be worth this and maybe even more.

If you can take pictures of the rifle and share them we can probably figure out what the gun is.

I have to tell you since the first time you mention this rifle it has intrigued me. The 400/303 or 40/60 Maynard sounds like it might be an interesting cartridge.

xtimberman
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
.40-60 Maynard 1882? of .40-60 Maynard 1873? big difference between the two rims. Besides that, the rims on .303 cases are thinner than the rims on either of the Maynard cases - might create a headspace gap.?? Strange choice of cartridge......

xtm

The Double D
02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
XTM mostly likely the Steve Garby 40-60 Maynard...based on rifle and previous discussion.

Buckshot
02-26-2009, 02:45 AM
...............If they BOTH had $1100 price tag's on them and one is gone, it'd be the RB. The Martini would still be there. Not that it's bad, but it's just not allowed in most of the BPC silhuette games. While the Martini started out in the United States, it took it's final form and won it's fame and fortune in Europe. To many it's a foreigner unlike the Rem RB or a Sharps, to name the 2 most recognizable types.

It may have been built on a Greener action, as at one time the loose actions were available in VG-Exc condition for $85 complete. A lot of those were bought and put away, plus bought and had rifles built on them. I'm one as I bought 3 actions from Navy Arms and built a fast twist .444 Marlin with one.

................Buckshot

northmn
02-26-2009, 08:04 AM
I had a 45-70 once that was put on a Martini action. The original gun had been a military convert into a shotgun. One of the things I remember about it was that I sold it due to a horrendous trigger pull. Made an interesting gun though.

Northmn

ddeaton
02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I have one of these I got in a trade, never looked at it since then. I guess I need to get it out and see what model it is and then go look for a mold. I will look at it tonight. I just put it in the safe and never intended on shooting it.