PDA

View Full Version : MEC Powder Bushing question;

keithfan
09-06-2024, 09:39 AM
I was recently gifted a nice, old MEC Grabber 12 gauge press. I`ve been handloading rifle and handgun ammo for 50 years, but have never messed with loading shotgun ammo, so this is quite a learning experience. It came with a 1 1/8 oz shot bar with a #33 bushing. According to the MEC chart, it should throw a 22.5 gr charge of Unique (which I have plenty of). It actually throws a 17.5 gr charge. Quite a difference, so I`m a little confused. Any idea what bushing to get to throw a 19-19.5 gr charge? I also have a couple lbs of 700X I could also use. But do I "trust" the chart to get a #28 or 29 bushing for a 17 gr load? Is there a certain percentage formula to use or go by to figure out what bushings to buy? I really don`t want to buy a bucket of bushings just for a couple of loads. Thanks!

avogunner
09-06-2024, 09:52 AM
Great question Keith. I too have never found these (or any other OEM) bushings throwing the weight of powder the charts say. It’ll serve you well to have a variety of bushings to use as your powder supply may change. For 12ga, I suggest starting with 30, 31, and 32.
Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dverna
09-06-2024, 11:32 AM
If in doubt, buy a couple of sizes smaller and open them up. Easy to do. The large ones can be altered too by building them up. You can use HVAC tape or epoxy and drill/sand as needed.

I would look for sales and buy them for a couple of dollars each.

CastingFool
09-06-2024, 03:22 PM
MEC published a chart showing the amount of powder dispensed by each bushing, by powder listed.

poppy42
09-06-2024, 04:22 PM
The first suggestion I’ll make to you is go out and buy yourself a Lyman shotshell loading manual! They haven’t updated it in a few years so what might be missing some of the newest latest and greatest powders but it will give you all the basics for shotshell reloading! Which by the way is considerably different than metallic Reloading! They’re basically is no such thing as working up a load! You pick a recipe out of a manual and stick with it! Especially when you’re starting out! Varying weights or switching primers or changing wads out can have devastating affects! You gotta remember a shotgun is rated to something like a 11,500 psi. Which is less than your average 38 special load. (. At least if I did my math properly shotguns are measured in psi, 38 special is usually cup) but you get the idea. I’ve never verified this myself but supposedly just switching from one primer to another can increase your pressure 1500 psi in some instances. Now unfortunately not all the primers are available so there is definitely some switching around but you have to use specific primers to switch with. You know like federal primaries are hotter than Winchester and I’m just giving you examples.

Now as far as your bushings, good luck! Bushings no matter what you’re loading bar measuring volume metric measures. Well that’s great but we develop loads using grains which is a measure of weight. I’ve never seen a powder bushing of any type actually drop what they’re supposed to drop. Everyone I’ve ever used drops light! That’s metallic cartridge shotshell whatever. And if you look at the fine print in a bushing chart from Mac it said bushings are meant to be a guide all charges should be verified with a scale. Generally what you have to do or what I do is if the charge says use bushing 31 I go up a minimum of two so that would be a 33 measure it and adjust accordingly. If your bushing is too large you can Beagle it I’ve done it with a little aluminum duct tape. That’s something I would do on a regular basis it’s a pain but I have done it. If you’re bushings to smell the only thing you can do is drill it out or go buy another bushing. Now I will tell you if you go on eBay there are guys selling 3-D printed bushings. Which work very well in most cases just check the guys celebrating because the ones that I’ve been doing it for a while really make some nice bushings. The thing is you can get a whole separate from them or at least 16 of them for the same price it would cost you to buy four from Mec. Anyway that’s all I got to say have fun be safe

Hamish
09-06-2024, 04:51 PM
When all I used to load was 9/8 oz over 700X with the recommended bar years and years ago it was good enough, although every so often there was a powder spill which was ok as I loaded in the barn.

Now I find it much easier to charge the hull off the press with a powder measure. It’s much cleaner, more precise, and doesn’t seem to slow me down much. And, I don’t have to go looking for the right bushingfor the bar between 12,16,20, and .410.

Barry54
09-06-2024, 05:00 PM
If you just measured the first drop without cycling the press it will throw light. When I try a new bushing or powder I cycle the handle five times before weighing a drop from my 600 JR.

I think of it as
1) pre crimp
2) crimp

Then your next hull to load
3) de prime/size
4) reprime
5) handle down and power drop.

Then weigh that charge.

Half Dog
09-06-2024, 06:11 PM
I had to buy the bucket of bushings. I didn’t need them at first but I have used several different bushings throughout the years.

Minerat
09-06-2024, 07:45 PM
I gave up on bushings and have 2 of these that I use on my 12, 16, 20 and 410 Mec 600JR and 3 grabbers, interchanging between them as needed. You get fairly consistent powder weights and shot charges once adjusted.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013189381/?pid=746153

You can get a really fancy black one at BP for twice as much.

Barry54
09-06-2024, 09:22 PM
I gave up on bushings and have 2 of these that I use on my 12, 16, 20 and 410 Mec 600JR and 3 grabbers, interchanging between them as needed. You get fairly consistent powder weights and shot charges once adjusted.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013189381/?pid=746153

You can get a really fancy black one at BP for twice as much.

Too bad those have been discontinued for years now. The adjustable ones at BPI sell out on a regular basis.

Shanghai Jack
09-06-2024, 09:38 PM
Too bad those have been discontinued for years now. The adjustable ones at BPI sell out on a regular basis.

While you're waiting for BPI to restock there are people on ebay 3d printing bushings for cheap = buy a set to get you through the wait.

toallmy
09-07-2024, 09:33 AM
If you are setting up for one particular load , consider just enlarging the powder bushing you have , or try a few loads as is .

Minerat
09-07-2024, 01:43 PM

Probably my fault they got discontinues. Sorry guys. That happens to me all the time. Find a good thing and it gets dropped. Honestly I did not see the discontinued label.

Maybe find one on the auction sites?

Budzilla 19
09-07-2024, 05:31 PM
This is from 45+ years of reloading shotshells! We did the real weights compared to the chart so I hope this helps.
Send me your address by pm and I’ll send you a #29,30,31&32 powder bushings! Free of charge.
I had someone help me when we first got started and I have accumulated some multiples of bushings.
The ‘Zilla.

keithfan
09-07-2024, 05:58 PM
Thanks for advice everybody! I really appreciate it. I did purchase the "new" Lyman Shotshell Manual. The MEC chart in it is the same old one I copied from somewhere. The Grabber came to me with shot and powder in the bottles, and other supplies. Don`t know how old the powder was but it looked ok. Of course I had to start playing with it since I had never even touched one before. I managed to load 25 rds (came with Peters hulls, and Remington RXP wads). Only spilled shot and powder a few times. ha Checked with a buddy and he said the charge (17.5 grs) sounds about right. Said to be careful. Well I fired a rd, it went boom, and I didn`t. Shot felt pretty mild. Later on figured out it was Unique. I think book load said 19-20 grs for a light trap load. Gotta say that the Grabber is a pretty cool tool. Budzilla-email headed your way.

Adam Helmer
09-07-2024, 07:01 PM
keithfan,

I use a MEC and Lee shotgun reloader with bushings. I use the bushing guide as a starting point that I verify with a powder scale. Good advice was to fill the powder hopper and cycle the Bar a half dozen times to settle the powder, then toss a charge and weigh it. I hope this helps.

Adam

Budzilla 19
09-07-2024, 07:11 PM
Ha, if ya think that Grabber is a cool tool, wait till ya see the 9000G in action!

Harter66
09-08-2024, 05:54 PM
Buy the adjustable bar . Yes it's $40+ but you won't have to change bushings and check , repeat, hone/fill repeat and you'll have the right chamber for every powder and charge weight as well as shot adjustment from 1/2 to 2-1/2 oz . It has inserts for steel and all shot available also .

Yep you might just have one single load you stick with for decades or you might load for target and heavy field from dove to swans then decide you want RB , slugs , and/or buck switching from Red Dot to 4227 or Steel . Nevermind a little BP and/or stacked wad columns.

NyFirefighter357
09-08-2024, 06:34 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/355792544891?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&com_cvv=8fb3d522dc163aeadb66e08cd7450cbbdddc64c6cf 2e8891f6d48747c6d56d2c

243winxb
09-08-2024, 08:37 PM
Cycle the press as if loading shells. Then check powder drop weight. The shaking & vibration will settle the powder in the bushing.