PDA

View Full Version : Found this in some scrap lead??

Steve E
02-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Not sure what this is but thinking it may be some kind of lead seal that went on the end of a wire loop that went through some kind of hasp. It is about as big around as a quarter and about 3/8th of an inch thick and it looks like it has some old wire sticking out of one end(barely visible on the right side in pic). It was picked up on old Ft. Ord and put in a box of scrap lead.
Anybody have any ideas?

Rooster
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Could it be a lead seal like those used on ammo crates/boxes?

44mag1
02-25-2009, 12:26 AM
lead seal for the electric meter, youd better put it back before the meter reader sees its missing.

Steve E
02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Forgot to mention it scratches like lead and you can shave off pieces like lead but it floats in molten lead and wasn't melting up to about 800*. All that had me puzzled too about what it is made off.

44mag1,
Doesn't matter anyway about the meter reader as he is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one.

Steve E...........

Jaybird62
02-25-2009, 01:14 AM
It's a seal of some kind... zinc perhaps??

carpetman
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
seal of some kind---then again maybe a walrus

357maximum
02-25-2009, 03:01 AM
http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=77

I have used a ton of them...well maybe not a ton but alot of them....rivers+these sinkers+some cubed and cured chicken liver= kittycatfish

That thing could be made of anything...I use my trash alloys that I have scrounged for them....inluding some zinc and aluminum contaminated junk boolit alloys.

Bent Ramrod
02-25-2009, 03:09 AM
They used to use them on containers at work. Everybody had their own pliers with their own number on the jaws that would indent the lead disc. It had two holes to run the wire through and they would clamp it with their pliers and you would know who resealed the container last. Great while it lasted, as I had the used ones collected for "recycle." Then the Safety people started flipping out about the deadly dangers of Lead in the Workplace and they went to a little aluminum collar that doesn't indent the number, plus forms filled out in quintuplicate to replace it.

Steve E
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
It does have a number 2 stamped into each side. I scratched it with my finger nail and then cut a sliver off with my knife and said 'lead' so it went into the pot after skimming off the ww clips and stirring the pot it popped to the top and floated like a cork. I turned the pot up and it didn't melt at a little above 800*. Like I said it scratches and cuts like lead but as the little boy said, "It ain't".

Steve E...........

oldtoolsniper
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
It's a security seal from an ammo can. When you draw a broken lot from a military ammunition supply point (ASP) they seal the cans with those. I have the pliers and the seals around here somewhere. Mine crimp a bursting bomb or the US ordnance seal on them. The number most likely designates who certified the can contents. Part of the investigation of an ammunition mishap is where and who the ammunition came from, melting would not help the investigation and that is most likely the reason it's not allowing you to destroy the evidence so to speak.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-25-2009, 02:19 PM
carpetman is right. It is a seal.

I researched through my books of seal identifications and found one just like it that also has the notation that it *does not melt at a little above 800 f.

It was supposedly used to seal US Treasury bullion vaults and represent citizen trust in gubmint in the olden days of fiscal responsibility, when no more than 23% of your gross income could go toward your mortgage, jobs existed where you worked hard, children were polite and studious and you complimented the parents on them, and affirmative action, acorn, and related chicanery/criminality by public officials had not yet been invented.

BvT