PDA

View Full Version : New Vaquero Montado 45 Colt

Idaho
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been looking for a shoulder rig for my Wife's new love~

She would like this as her CCW weapon {mine too}
I love this {can't remember what she named it} also! If only money grew on tree's we would have his & hers. We would like to find a way for her to conceal this during the warmer months? We found some nice holsters from these folk's http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/bwcc_saa.html any ideas??

What would be a good "safe" but max load in this New lighter frame Ruger?

Dale53
02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Just use the standard loads for .45 Colt as listed in the Lyman Cast Bullet book or Lyman loading manual. In fact, most all of the loading manuals show standard loads and "Ruger" loads. DO NOT USE "RUGER" LOADS IN THIS REVOLVER.

Frankly, the standard .45 Colt loads will do you fine. I am partial to the Lyman 452424 bullet for serious loads. However, full loads with a 255 gr bullet can be heavy in a Colt size revolver. Some prefer a 200 gr bullet for a more comfortable load. There are a number of fine 200 gr bullet designs.

The 255 gr bullet will probably shoot to the sights. The 200 gr may or may not. Only testing in YOUR revolver will tell you. I have just started working with a 200 gr bullet in my Ruger Bisley Vaquero so have little personal data for you at this time (and it may or may not be applicable to you in that smaller revolver).

The Montado is a cute little feller...:drinks:

Dale53

August
02-25-2009, 03:58 AM
SAMMI standard loads are safe in the new vaqueros.

Look at Kirkpatrick's for a good leather rig.

kooz
02-25-2009, 08:16 AM
What would be a good "safe" but max load in this New lighter frame Ruger?[/QUOTE]

Well, you'll get all kinds of opinions from this question, here's mine for what it's worth. The New Vaquero's are not as strong as the company's larger frame guns and should not be used with "ruger only" data however they are not fragile guns and do not need to be held back to the SAAMI spec 14k loads that are recomended for Colts and replicas. The new Vaqueros will digest a steady diet of up to 24K loads without issue. If you do some searching you can find an article in Handloader magazine done by Brian Pearce that covers the New Vaqueros and their safe limits. I have a couple of them and have fed them thousands of rounds in this pressure range without issue. Again, they are a smaller frame gun, but they are still stronger than a replica or Colt. Good luck.

Idaho
02-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I think the 45 Colt has found another fan...

This little 45 is a pretty little thing and after my Wife places some baby blue grips on it ..I'll need to get my own> Off with another leg

While looking for a pistol for my Wife the local Gun shops were selling basically pellet guns for CCW reasons.. We noticed a few 300 lb men with ultra light 22's and I would ask my wife what would hurt worse~ His forty pound fist or that pee shooter> Doesn't make sense!

Or better yet folk's would buy any thing that held 500 rounds...Watching them shoot I know why