PDA

View Full Version : Finally I got to shoot my Birthday Present today

Boerrancher
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
For my Birthday I picked up a NIB pre-safety Rossi Mod 92 Rossi in a 45LC. I already had one but saw this one at a gunshop and it followed me home last week, but because the wife and I were going out of town for the weekend I didn't get to shoot it. Yesterday I was busy catching up on all the farm chores that didn't get done over the weekend. Today I went up to the old abandon mine on my place and set up a target at 50 yards, and took a rest off of my 4 wheeler seat. I was shooting the load that I shoot out of my other Mod 92. 10 grs of Unique behind a 255 gr RF boolit. I could not believe how well it shot. I fired 10 rounds from the rest, and had I have not strung them up and and down, by not paying attn to my breathing I think I would have had nearly a one ragged hole group. I think it is going to shoot better than the one that I already had.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

runfiverun
02-24-2009, 11:15 PM
joe:
shhhhh...
i am still trying to get these.
the new ones are pretty good too.

cajun shooter
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Joe, Just closed a deal on my second pre-safety 45 Colt also. I traded my old Marlin 357 1894 for it. My first Navy model 45 Colt will shoot the x-ring out with 2F and the 250 grain Big Lubes. This one is a 1/2 oct 1/2 round 24in bbl model. Can't wait to see how it shoots. Talked to Steve Young AKA Nate Kiowa Jones about it before hand and he tells me that most all the pre-safety models are good rifles. If you don't have the DVD that Steve sells for $29.95 then you should consider buying it. It not only gives you the complete tear down but he shows you how to make it run slick without any problems. I'm very happy that I bought mine. Best of luck and continued success with the 92's. Later David

Boerrancher
02-25-2009, 11:28 AM
The only problem that I had with the new 92 was the sights. The front blade is not as thick and the notch in the rear is not very wide, and my slowly aging eyes cause things to get fuzzy. I am thinking about putting a Marbles tang on it. I have the new Mid-Way catalogue and the original Marbles tang is $120, the marbles Improved tang is $60. What I want to know is why the improved sight is half the price? In past experiences with something that is improved over an older product the improvement means that it is a cheap ********* Both sights have windage and elevation adjustments interchangeable apertures, and the improved model you can buy replacement posts for different distances. The only thing I can figure is the original model is described as being made out of machined steel, and the improved model doesn't state what material it is constructed out of. My guess is an aluminum alloy, which would make it cheaper because aluminum is easier to machine. If any of you can add some insight into this please let me know. I want a tang sight, but I don't want to spend any more money that I have to. If the Improved Sight is a good one I will buy it, if it is not, I will bite the bullet and buy the original.

Joe

runfiverun
02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
jou look 4 threads up from this one.

helice
02-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Boer Ranch Joe,
So glad you are happy with the new Rossi. So glad its a shooter too. What do you want for your old one???? Just kidding! Send us some pictures of how the kids are shooting. & keep writin', I'm learnin' Helice

cajun shooter
02-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Joe, I think you looked at the prices wrong. The Marbles tang site for that rifle is $125 retail and sells for around $85. The next model with the different posts is around $145 retail. The front site needs to be changed out and the stock bbl site needs to be removed. The slot can be filled with a old site blank or the one sold by Williams. Later David

Boerrancher
02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
David,

Yep, you are correct sir, the way midway has it broken down in their catalogue is kind of screwy. You have to buy each part separately. I guess I am going to have to check out Brownell's and Mid South as well as Graf's and see who has the better buy. I can pick it up at midway or Graf's and not pay shipping, but have to pay taxes. Where ever I find the best total price is where I will go. Thanks for the above info and making me take a second look.

Joe

Marine Sgt 2111
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Joe, Graf's has a hidden charge of $5.00 for using the internet sight to order...

TGM
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
The Marbles improved tand sight is sold as a base and then which ever height posts you want, Buffalo Arms catalogs it the same as Midway. And with you guys talking about the Rossi 45LC caused me to go buy a Navy Arms version I saw at a local gun shop yesterday. It is a short rifle with cashardned reciever in like new condition. Love those 92 clones.

TGM