PDA

View Full Version : .44 Mag powder

JudgeBAC
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
In my search for the "perfect" mid range loads for the .44 magnum, I ran across the following article. Sorry for reproducing the entire article but the man said reproducing is permitted provided it is in its entirety and attribution is given.

My questions concern this authors belief that fast powders for slower loads are not as desirable as a full density load with a slower powder.

I would love to hear some discussion on this issue.

Observations from 30 Years of Loading the .44 Magnum
By John Ross

Copyright 2007 by John Ross. Electronic reproduction of this article freely permitted provided it is reproduced in its entirety with attribution given.

I have been doing a tremendous amount of load development with the new .500 S&W Magnum. One shooting enthusiast named Casey on a gun board asked me to back up and offer any insight I might have on the .44, as he did not see a .500 in his future. He wanted to know if there was anything to add to the information found in the typical loading manual, or the gun magazine that referred to "time tested Keith loads." He wanted to know about best and worst powders, bullets, alloys, etc. Here is what I told him:

Casey, you are right, you can do a lot better than just repeating the mantra of "22 2400 250 Keith."

Here are some observations that I've had while working with the .44. Many are applicable to other calibers.

Worst powders: I don't like light charges of fast powders in any cartridge. In general, I like using the slowest powder that will give the desired velocity. You cannot get a dangerous overload with this practice. Leading is less likely, for reasons I'll explain later.

The single best powder for full .44 loads is WW296/H110 or other surplus equivalent. This ball powder was designed for the .30 Carbine and magnum handgunners have adopted it with good reason. Of the over 100,000 .44 Mag loads I have fired, over 80% of them have been 25 H110/296 and a 250 Keith, the Hensley & Gibbs #503. This bullet goes out to the front of a S&W cylinder. 25 grains of this powder might be too hot for a "Keith Style" bullet with a shorter nose and more shank in the case, or a jacketed slug. My load goes 38,500 CUP in the Super Vel pressure gun.

While the Keith bullet is accurate, it is not the MOST accurate .44 cast bullet style. I use it because it is accurate and I have 8-cavity H&G gang molds for it. H&G went out of business before I got heavily into mold design. If I were going to shoot a cast bullet in the .44 for absolute best accuracy, I would make it a design with a bore riding nose section, an ogival or truncated cone nose, and multiple thin grease grooves. (We have better lube than we did 70 years ago.) I'd put the crimp groove where it would give an overall length as long as possible for the gun I was loading for (.44 mags are not all the same cylinder length.) The JD Jones SSK designs are good examples of the kind of bullet I'm describing. They shoot about 25% tighter on average than Keiths in my guns, about 3 to 4 MOA vs 4 to 5.

You do not need gas checks in the .44 (or any other revolver) unless you are trying to correct a condition and you aren't willing to actually address the root cause of the problem.

Leading is most often caused by gas cutting. Gas cutting happens when your bullet is smaller than your chamber throat (front of the cylinder or the throat section in a rifle.) When the round is fired, hot gas gets around the bullet as it exits the case and enters the throat and bore, ruining the desired gas seal and causing leading, especially at the back of the barrel. Sometimes, leading will be made WORSE by going to a harder bullet (since it won't deform at all) and may be actually be IMPROVED by a softer alloy that "slugs up" and seals off the gas. I don't shoot the super-hard alloys in revolvers; most revolver loads don't generate enough pressure to slug up the bullet.

However, IF you like faster powders, you may get leading and think you need a harder alloy, which may or may not cure the problem. This often happens with loads like 10 grains Unique for 1000 FPS. It can lead badly, because (I believe) of the fast pressure spike of the expanding gas ball in the half-filled case hitting the base of the bullet. Before changing the alloy, change the powder. Try 25-28 grains WC680 for 1150-1250. This much slower powder fills the case entirely and the pressure builds more slowly. Leading will disappear, unless something is REALLY wrong.

I never tried H335, BLC-2, etc, in the .44 because I prefer full loads in that caliber. In the 500, you get almost 1400 FPS with a case full of these rifle powders and a 450 grain bullet. Although this is 400 FPS below maximum, a 450 @ 1360 (or even less) still might be all you want.

I recall a Du Pont manual from around 1975 (8 1/2 x 11, 20 pages, paper, brown cover, tan pages, mostly shotshell data) that listed loads for ALL their IMR powders in various metallic cartridges, like 4350 and 4831 in the .44 Magnum. Peak pressure with a full case was something like 14,000 CUP IIRC. This was VERY interesting.

If you want a 900 FPS .44 load (I don't) and have a chronograph, try loads at 100+% loading density using WC680 and slower powders, like Accurate 2015, H322, and H335. Pick dense powders like the ones above. If the load is uniform and of the velocity you want, try it on paper. Uniform loads tend to be accurate ones.

BTW bevel-base cast bullet designs are much-loved by commercial outfits for the ease with which they go through automated lubricators, and reloaders like the ease with which they enter case necks, but they make gas cutting WORSE for obvious reasons. I avoid them.

Find a machinist with a set of plug gages or better yet buy a complete set .251"-.500" (250 gages) for $85 or so from a machine tool supplier. Buy a micrometer while you're at it.

Measure your chamber throats. They probably go at least .431" and maybe .432". You need bullets that are no more than 1/2 thousandth smaller than your chamber throat. Ideally you want a bullet sized such that you can push it through your tightest throat with moderate finger pressure.

With some guns and certain loads you can shoot pure lead unlubricated bullets without leading IF they are the right size.

If you shoot commercially cast bullets you're limited to your choices. Try to find a supplier that can provide you with .431" (or whatever) sized bullets in a non-bevel-based style.

Failing that, buy some NECO P-wads. These are .065" PVC discs you put in the case before you insert the bullet. Buy them for about $7 a thousand. I make my own with a .432" hand punch and sheet PVC for $2/thousand. P-wads form a gas seal and are effective to some extent at reducing gas cutting with undersized bullets. So are slower powders, as mentioned above.

I measured the throats of two 329s and a .428" gage was the largest that would enter. Same with a PC 629 7 1/2" slabside, the one with Mag-na-ports (I think it's called the "Magnum Hunter".) ALL my old Model 29 throats go .431"-.432". The new guns are tighter.

Heavy loads with the ball powders need high neck tension and heavy crimp. Polish down the expander plug until it does not expand the neck AT ALL after sizing. Adjust it so that the case mouth is belled just enough to start the bullet in the case and no more. This keeps the brass from being overworked. Use a heavy crimp. You may need to try different make crimp dies to find a good one. I use Star dies, so that doesn't help you. My loads in the .44 NEVER pull, not even 320s @ 1225 in a 329.

There are only two problems with H110/296, neither of which I have experienced:

1. Less-than-full charges may leave a bullet in the barrel. Don't load too low, like 19 grains. If you want less velocity, use a full charge of a slower powder, like WC680 (Accurate 1680.)

2. Erratic results in VERY cold weather. If you regularly shoot in such conditions (I don't), Blue Dot is the powder you want, from what I've read of others' experiments.

Hope this helps.

John Ross 9/10/2003

mike in co
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
well just goes to show ya...
i have never owned or bought h110, my 296 is inheirted.

i shoot aa9 or mil surplus wc 820( lots vary)

from 240 thru 300 grain...all did well with these powders....

mike in co

targetshootr
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I probably missed it but I didn't see anything about the cost per round. Since I like to shoot A LOT, Universal does fine for most of it.

Idaho
02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
In my search for the "perfect" mid range loads for the .44 magnum, I ran across the following article. Sorry for reproducing the entire article but the man said reproducing is permitted provided it is in its entirety and attribution is given.

My questions concern this authors belief that fast powders for slower loads are not as desirable as a full density load with a slower powder.

I would love to hear some discussion on this issue.

Observations from 30 Years of Loading the .44 Magnum
By John Ross

Copyright 2007 by John Ross. Electronic reproduction of this article freely permitted provided it is reproduced in its entirety with attribution given.

I have been doing a tremendous amount of load development with the new .500 S&W Magnum. One shooting enthusiast named Casey on a gun board asked me to back up and offer any insight I might have on the .44, as he did not see a .500 in his future. He wanted to know if there was anything to add to the information found in the typical loading manual, or the gun magazine that referred to "time tested Keith loads." He wanted to know about best and worst powders, bullets, alloys, etc. Here is what I told him:

Casey, you are right, you can do a lot better than just repeating the mantra of "22 2400 250 Keith."

Here are some observations that I've had while working with the .44. Many are applicable to other calibers.

Worst powders: I don't like light charges of fast powders in any cartridge. In general, I like using the slowest powder that will give the desired velocity. You cannot get a dangerous overload with this practice. Leading is less likely, for reasons I'll explain later.

The single best powder for full .44 loads is WW296/H110 or other surplus equivalent. This ball powder was designed for the .30 Carbine and magnum handgunners have adopted it with good reason. Of the over 100,000 .44 Mag loads I have fired, over 80% of them have been 25 H110/296 and a 250 Keith, the Hensley & Gibbs #503. This bullet goes out to the front of a S&W cylinder. 25 grains of this powder might be too hot for a "Keith Style" bullet with a shorter nose and more shank in the case, or a jacketed slug. My load goes 38,500 CUP in the Super Vel pressure gun.

While the Keith bullet is accurate, it is not the MOST accurate .44 cast bullet style. I use it because it is accurate and I have 8-cavity H&G gang molds for it. H&G went out of business before I got heavily into mold design. If I were going to shoot a cast bullet in the .44 for absolute best accuracy, I would make it a design with a bore riding nose section, an ogival or truncated cone nose, and multiple thin grease grooves. (We have better lube than we did 70 years ago.) I'd put the crimp groove where it would give an overall length as long as possible for the gun I was loading for (.44 mags are not all the same cylinder length.) The JD Jones SSK designs are good examples of the kind of bullet I'm describing. They shoot about 25% tighter on average than Keiths in my guns, about 3 to 4 MOA vs 4 to 5.

You do not need gas checks in the .44 (or any other revolver) unless you are trying to correct a condition and you aren't willing to actually address the root cause of the problem.

Leading is most often caused by gas cutting. Gas cutting happens when your bullet is smaller than your chamber throat (front of the cylinder or the throat section in a rifle.) When the round is fired, hot gas gets around the bullet as it exits the case and enters the throat and bore, ruining the desired gas seal and causing leading, especially at the back of the barrel. Sometimes, leading will be made WORSE by going to a harder bullet (since it won't deform at all) and may be actually be IMPROVED by a softer alloy that "slugs up" and seals off the gas. I don't shoot the super-hard alloys in revolvers; most revolver loads don't generate enough pressure to slug up the bullet.

However, IF you like faster powders, you may get leading and think you need a harder alloy, which may or may not cure the problem. This often happens with loads like 10 grains Unique for 1000 FPS. It can lead badly, because (I believe) of the fast pressure spike of the expanding gas ball in the half-filled case hitting the base of the bullet. Before changing the alloy, change the powder. Try 25-28 grains WC680 for 1150-1250. This much slower powder fills the case entirely and the pressure builds more slowly. Leading will disappear, unless something is REALLY wrong.

I never tried H335, BLC-2, etc, in the .44 because I prefer full loads in that caliber. In the 500, you get almost 1400 FPS with a case full of these rifle powders and a 450 grain bullet. Although this is 400 FPS below maximum, a 450 @ 1360 (or even less) still might be all you want.

I recall a Du Pont manual from around 1975 (8 1/2 x 11, 20 pages, paper, brown cover, tan pages, mostly shotshell data) that listed loads for ALL their IMR powders in various metallic cartridges, like 4350 and 4831 in the .44 Magnum. Peak pressure with a full case was something like 14,000 CUP IIRC. This was VERY interesting.

If you want a 900 FPS .44 load (I don't) and have a chronograph, try loads at 100+% loading density using WC680 and slower powders, like Accurate 2015, H322, and H335. Pick dense powders like the ones above. If the load is uniform and of the velocity you want, try it on paper. Uniform loads tend to be accurate ones.

BTW bevel-base cast bullet designs are much-loved by commercial outfits for the ease with which they go through automated lubricators, and reloaders like the ease with which they enter case necks, but they make gas cutting WORSE for obvious reasons. I avoid them.

Find a machinist with a set of plug gages or better yet buy a complete set .251"-.500" (250 gages) for $85 or so from a machine tool supplier. Buy a micrometer while you're at it.

Measure your chamber throats. They probably go at least .431" and maybe .432". You need bullets that are no more than 1/2 thousandth smaller than your chamber throat. Ideally you want a bullet sized such that you can push it through your tightest throat with moderate finger pressure.

With some guns and certain loads you can shoot pure lead unlubricated bullets without leading IF they are the right size.

If you shoot commercially cast bullets you're limited to your choices. Try to find a supplier that can provide you with .431" (or whatever) sized bullets in a non-bevel-based style.

Failing that, buy some NECO P-wads. These are .065" PVC discs you put in the case before you insert the bullet. Buy them for about $7 a thousand. I make my own with a .432" hand punch and sheet PVC for $2/thousand. P-wads form a gas seal and are effective to some extent at reducing gas cutting with undersized bullets. So are slower powders, as mentioned above.

I measured the throats of two 329s and a .428" gage was the largest that would enter. Same with a PC 629 7 1/2" slabside, the one with Mag-na-ports (I think it's called the "Magnum Hunter".) ALL my old Model 29 throats go .431"-.432". The new guns are tighter.

Heavy loads with the ball powders need high neck tension and heavy crimp. Polish down the expander plug until it does not expand the neck AT ALL after sizing. Adjust it so that the case mouth is belled just enough to start the bullet in the case and no more. This keeps the brass from being overworked. Use a heavy crimp. You may need to try different make crimp dies to find a good one. I use Star dies, so that doesn't help you. My loads in the .44 NEVER pull, not even 320s @ 1225 in a 329.

There are only two problems with H110/296, neither of which I have experienced:

1. Less-than-full charges may leave a bullet in the barrel. Don't load too low, like 19 grains. If you want less velocity, use a full charge of a slower powder, like WC680 (Accurate 1680.)

2. Erratic results in VERY cold weather. If you regularly shoot in such conditions (I don't), Blue Dot is the powder you want, from what I've read of others' experiments.

Hope this helps.

John Ross 9/10/2003

IMHO H110 is the best {all around} powder for the heavy dudes

runfiverun
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
i have some data for rifle powders in the 44 too.
i still use 2400. it is hard to beat.
i don't care what ross says even though i read his articles.
the g/c isn't necessary but since i use the lyman version of the keith in my 24' bbl'd lever action,and 445 supermag revolver i use the g/c version.
i do have other 44 molds but they aren't as accurate or carry as much lube.
i'll stick to what works for me.
there are other powders that will work,but 2400 is the easiest for me to get my 45 colt likes it as well as some of my rifle cartridges.
the super mag likes aa-1680 but that is hard for me to get, so it is reserved for the 445 and 375.
other powders will work fine, but why knock yourself out trying to reinvent the wheel?

26Charlie
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
If you try to get slower velocity by using cases full of slower powder (see the 900 fps recommendation above) you get a lot of unburned powder crudding up the gun and a lot of muzzle flash. Also since you are using three times the weight of powder you would use with UNIQuE or something, it is three times the cost. At some point with a weaker crimp or a split mouth case you will get a partial ignition and a bullet stuck in the bore.
If you want to shoot these on an indoor range they won't welcome you back either, from the smoke, flash, stink, and powder all over the place.
Just get a Lyman manual and use it for reduced loads. You can have a lot of fun at fifty feet indoors with a 200 gr. bullet and 5 gr. Red Dot in the .44 Magnum.

I once decided to rattle a guy in a 50 yd. centerfire match on an outdoor range, where the shooters were using .38's and .45 autos. I shot the match with my Ruger .41 Mag Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel and full-house loads of 19 gr. H-110 and 210 gr. SWC bullets. Timed and rapid fire were literally a blast, and that guy never shot next to me again, which was my plan. Of course I can't remember now what his transgression was.

454PB
02-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Bluedot. Works in .357, .44 magnum, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull.

Maven
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Unique and Blue Dot!

Firebricker
02-25-2009, 10:49 AM
+ 1 on unique

Larry Gibson
02-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Ross gives some interesting opinions. I do not agree with numerous of his opinions. The reasons have already been covered by the other posters ahead of me.

Larry Gibson

JesterGrin_1
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I am a big fan of W-296 and H-110 as some guns like one but not the other. But as of late that might have changed as I have read since they are made by the same company now they are equivalent. But then again some books will show a .5Gr variance between the two in loads. But for all intensive purposes I will load to the same GR amount. But will always work up loads from the bottom up to find the best accuracy of a given firearm. Speed is not everything :)

As for reduced loads I think the author of this information also took into great consideration of safety. As I am sure this author knows you can have good accuracy from faster powders. I use 5.5Gr of TightGroup in .44 mag with a 240Gr SWC. But as I said to this end with such a small amount of powder it is easy to double or triple charge a case or more that can lead to a safety situation of a shooter and or bystanders as well.

I also feel he was correct about leading with fast powders but only when you try and start pushing said faster powders more than what they are really designed for. Just my findings with TightGroup. The manual for the .44 Mag says I can go from 4.7Gr of TightGroup up to 10.OGr but when I started going above 7.OGr if I remember right I started to get bad leading. When I got up to about 9.OGr I had sticky cases in my Marlin 1894 SS in .44 Mag. So please be careful with fast powders and work up slow as the pressure can build up fast with increased powder charges.

I did find the info he gave on such powders as H-322 and IMR-4350 very interesting and would like to find load info for these powders?

As for Gas Checks I like them but I tend to use W-296 and H-110 so I push them a bit lol. And yes I also feel it is the lazy way out to get good shooting BOOLITS. Some like PB Boolits as yes it is cheaper to make them over GC ones and for general plinking I feel a PB Boolit is great. As this is something each reloader must decide for himself on what he wants his firearm to do.

Well I will get off the soap box as my $O.10 has run out lol.

AlaskaMike
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority--I agree with the vast majority of what Ross wrote. About the only thing I actually disagree with him on is using Blue Dot in very cold weather. In my experience Blue Dot gets very squirrelly and erratic at higher pressures and cold temps in the .44 mag. Most of the other points he makes are well known (size bullets according to the throats; bevel bases aren't as good as plain bases; gas checks are a band-aid fix for some other problem in revolvers, etc.)

To address JudgeBAC's question, Ross doesn't seem to discourage the use of faster powders, he just appears to prefer case-filling loads. That's probably more a matter of opinion and it's hard to knock Ross for it. Personally I have no problems at all with light charges of faster powders. In fact, one of my favorite .44 mag loads is the RCBS .44-250-K over 7.5 grains of 231. As long as you realize that there is a risk of double charging if you're careless, it's no big deal. I established early on that I will always eyeball the charge in each and every case before I seat the bullet. With 231 and other powders I personally use, a double charge jumps up and screams, "here I am!" as long as I do my part and look for it.

Mike

Shuz
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority--I agree with the vast majority of what Ross wrote. About the only thing I actually disagree with him on is using Blue Dot in very cold weather. In my experience Blue Dot gets very squirrelly and erratic at higher pressures and cold temps in the .44 mag. Most of the other points he makes are well known (size bullets according to the throats; bevel bases aren't as good as plain bases; gas checks are a band-aid fix for some other problem in revolvers, etc.)

To address JudgeBAC's question, Ross doesn't seem to discourage the use of faster powders, he just appears to prefer case-filling loads. That's probably more a matter of opinion and it's hard to knock Ross for it. Personally I have no problems at all with light charges of faster powders. In fact, one of my favorite .44 mag loads is the RCBS .44-250-K over 7.5 grains of 231. As long as you realize that there is a risk of double charging if you're careless, it's no big deal. I established early on that I will always eyeball the charge in each and every case before I seat the bullet. With 231 and other powders I personally use, a double charge jumps up and screams, "here I am!" as long as I do my part and look for it.

Mike
Well said Mike!
I'd like to add,that another good powder for medium loads in the .44 mag is Green Dot. I use 7.5g with a 252g 429421, and 8.6g with a 230g 429421HP. I don't worry about double charges as I do all my .44 mag loading on a Dillon Square Deal B.

cbrick
02-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I think some of the posters here missed the point of the article which to me was accuracy with heavier bullets without leading. He described to a "T" what I have been saying for years. The slowest powder that will give you the desired velocity, bullet fit is critical, a mild snug fit in the throats and the throats at or only "slightly" larger than measured groove diameter (never smaller than groove Dia), too hard is detrimental and will cause leading (accuracy loss also).

Gas checks aren't needed for most typical revolver loads "IF" the bullet fits properly, your revolver's dimensions are correct and you’re not using a heavy dose of fast powder. I recently had the gas check shank removed from three different moulds including the RCBS 44 Cal 300 Gr SWC.

If your only criteria is "how cheap can I do it", a couple grains of unique is probably just right for you. I load for what the cartridge is intended for and not for what will be the cheapest per trigger pull. For me that's mostly long range cast bullet handgun accuracy and for that the article says exactly what a tremendous amount of testing has taught me.

There is a lot of valid info in John Ross’s article for those willing to look for it and learn from it, thanks for posting it JudgeBAC.

Rick

GP100man
02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
HERCO or 800X is what i use for mid range stuffin 44 240 & heavier & for the super heavies IMR4227.
for raw horse power its hard to beat the ball powders though!!!

GP100man

targetshootr
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
I never understood the need for gaschecks in pistol calibers either so on that point he confirmed my suspicions. As far as powder choice, if it was good enough for Elmer Keith, it's plenty good enough for a casual shooter like me.

9.3X62AL
02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Not much disagreement with Mr. Ross' text. He has shot a whole lot more 44 Magnum than I have, for darn sure.

I've come to like Herco for mid-range Magnum revolver/cast boolit loads, 2400 for high-potential cast boolit loads, and WW-296 for j-word full-snort Magnums. I have gas check boolit designs for the 357, 44, and 45 Colt--and while they may or may not be superfluous they shoot VERY well with loads they favor.

EDK
02-26-2009, 08:12 PM
TITEGROUP and WINCHESTER 231 (HP-38) work well for me. UNIQUE and HERCO are good for mid-range and some higher, but haven't used them much lately.

2400, 4227 and AA 5744 are my choices for higher end and in pistol cartridge rifles like my treasured 357 and 44 Cowboys.

I don't use many gas checks in the mid range pistol loads. They are nice, but the price has gotten ridiculous. I can pass on them, but you have to have primers and powder!

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

mtgrs737
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I use a lot of Unique and some WW296 and H-110. I don't care for the high end loads much anymore.

mold maker
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I found WW296 and nothing since.

Snapping Twig
02-27-2009, 02:36 AM
I actually have that brown paper Dupont manual showing IMR loads for pistol. I kept it because it was so unusual. Got it in an Estate deal in the mid 80's.

Big fan of W296 and standard primers. 22g under a Lyman 429244 (265g WW)

900fps loads for me are 7g W231 in a magnum case under the Lyman 429421. I recently switched lube to White Label BAC and the smoke is WAY down.

Size to .429 since forever and haven't had a leading problem yet.

S.R.Custom
02-27-2009, 04:18 AM
...I've come to like Herco for mid-range Magnum revolver/cast boolit loads, 2400 for high-potential cast boolit loads, and WW-296 for j-word full-snort Magnums.

And that would be the truth that sets people free. ;)

44man
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I think some of the posters here missed the point of the article which to me was accuracy with heavier bullets without leading. He described to a "T" what I have been saying for years. The slowest powder that will give you the desired velocity, bullet fit is critical, a mild snug fit in the throats and the throats at or only "slightly" larger than measured groove diameter (never smaller than groove Dia), too hard is detrimental and will cause leading (accuracy loss also).

Gas checks aren't needed for most typical revolver loads "IF" the bullet fits properly, your revolver's dimensions are correct and you’re not using a heavy dose of fast powder. I recently had the gas check shank removed from three different moulds including the RCBS 44 Cal 300 Gr SWC.

If your only criteria is "how cheap can I do it", a couple grains of unique is probably just right for you. I load for what the cartridge is intended for and not for what will be the cheapest per trigger pull. For me that's mostly long range cast bullet handgun accuracy and for that the article says exactly what a tremendous amount of testing has taught me.

There is a lot of valid info in John Ross’s article for those willing to look for it and learn from it, thanks for posting it JudgeBAC.

Rick
I agree, I rarely shoot light loads but if I do, I use 7 gr of Unique or 231 with the RCBS semi wadcutter. Good enough for plinking cans to 50 yd's. Most of my shooting is long range or hunting and I don't care about a little more powder.
What scares me more then anything is watching my lead supply dwindle. I REALLY need to make a boolit trap. I was hoping all the lead on my range would grow lead trees. Searching for a lead magnet too. :Fire:

felix
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, 44man, if you lived around here your time could be used bringing our revolters up to snuff with never a worry about lead. ... felix

cajun shooter
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
44 man, They had a door to door salesman come through here about a week ago and sold me about a dozen small lead trees. I have been taking great care with them and the sales man told me that I should start being able to harvest sometime in October. I will keep you informed and if things work out maybe you would like to invest in my new found enterprise. Later David

Thumbcocker
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Cajun shooter; sounds like the guy who sold me the magic beans.

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I use alot of wc820/aa9. Not because its cheaper then 110 but because its more versitile and has actually given me my most accurate loads. Second place to those would be 2400. I used to use alot of 110 but you need to run it full tilt to get accuracy and although aa9 is a bit tough to light off 110 is worse in cold weather and i live where its COLD! Ill always have a keg of 110/296 around for testing but anymore a keg last me for years.

big dale
03-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I started using 9 grains of herco with a 250 grain boolit about four kegs of powder ago. Figure it is around 900 fps or so.

I figure by the time I use up another 4 kegs that the trigger on that Old Model Super Blackhawk will be polished.

Give it a try, you might like it.

Big Dale

zxcvbob
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I really like Herco for hot-but-not-ridiculous .45 Colt loads in a Blackhawk. 11.0 grains gives about 1100 fps, at a maximum pressure less than 21000 psi. (The same data will be about 5000 psi higher in a .44 Magnum; still a good plinking load with some oomph to it.) I haven't loaded it down as far as 9 grains. :) It starts getting interesting around 12.0.

Red Dot is a good powder for big cases. Accurate, cheap to shoot, and maybe a little leading but not much. About 7 or 8 grains with a 240 grain cast bullet should be nice is a .44 Mag. (you can go up to 8.8 grains, but the recoil will get pretty nasty as you approach the upper limit without a proportional increase in muzzle velocity)

targetshootr
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
In the Depression, Elmer Keith used shotgun powder in his 44 spl because he couldn't afford anything else. Lucky for him Ross wasn't around to lecture him about it.

:Fire: