PDA

View Full Version : 30 Super carry

badwolf
08-25-2024, 07:32 PM
Picked up a S&W shield plus 30 super carry pistol. Night sights optic ready for 299 with a 50 dollar rebate. Thinking of reloading for it, looks like it's 32 cal. Anyone go down this path? I didn't see brass on starlines website.

shooting on a shoestring
08-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Yep.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?442870-30-Super-Carry-with-Hand-Loaded-Cast-Boolits

shooting on a shoestring
08-25-2024, 07:58 PM
The only way to get brass is from factory loads.
It’s pretty easy and fun to empty out the factory loads and generate some once fired brass.
I love the little hot rod 32.

Was really hoping another pistol manufacturer would jump in with some more choices of platforms. But…probably not going to happen. I’ve use the Shield EZ pistols. I like them for the slightly longer barrel and they’re hammer fired. I haven’t tried the Shield Plus. Keep us posted on how you get along with it.

JeffG
08-31-2024, 09:51 PM
I've been loading for it since December and was able to do some gel testing of the rounds as well. I'm using a compressed charge of Longshot, 6.5 grains behind a Hornady 100 grain XTP, loaded to OAL = 1.09. These have been good for 1311 FPS average. These were shot from a Shield Plus into gel and expanded to .476. Its a hot little round.

badwolf
09-01-2024, 08:14 AM
Wow that's hot. Only complaint the mags are a bear to load. Picked up a mag loader on ebay that helps alot.

kungfustyle
09-01-2024, 08:19 AM
Wow that's hot. Only complaint the mags are a bear to load. Picked up a mag loader on ebay that helps alot.

Yep, tough little suckers.

shooting on a shoestring
09-02-2024, 09:40 AM
I’m a big fan of the Sheild EZ magazine. Very easy to load. The spring tabs let me slide the follower down so I can literally drop the cartridges into the magazine on top of the follower. Well at least for most of the rounds. The last couple might need a little help from my thumb to get them under the feed lips.

shooting on a shoestring
09-02-2024, 09:51 AM
It amazes me that 30 Super carry can accelerate a 100 gr XTP from zero to 1311 fps with only about 2.5” of bullet travel in the Sheild Plus. That’s some crazy acceleration! But that’s the beauty of a 50,000 psi pistol cartridge!

shdwlkr
09-02-2024, 11:17 AM
just curious why 30 super and not 38 super other than bullet diameter

shooting on a shoestring
09-02-2024, 03:38 PM
Shdwlker, fair question.
I have both 30 Super Carry and 38 Super pistols.

The 38 Super has a SAAMI max average pressure of 36,500 psi.
The 30 Super Carry has a SAAMI max average pressure of 50,000 psi.

The 30 Super carry is actually a 32 caliber pistol cartridge and the 38 Super is a 35 caliber pistol cartridge.
As such the bullet weights run about 85 to 117 grains in the 30 Super Carry and about 115 to 158 grains in the 38 Super.

That huge amount of pressure the 30 Super Carry has lets it perform way better than expected. It can get ballistics about like 9mm but do it using 32 caliber. Only advantage to that other than the cool factor is you can load more 32 caliber cartridges than 9mm in the same magazine space.

30 Super Carry is a modern cartridge utilizing modern technology to manufacture pistols that can stand modern pressures up to 50,000 psi. That used to be rifle pressure. That kind of pressure is awesome!

But the 38 Super is not to be sneezed at. It can run real close to 357 magnum pressure/velocity/power.
Between the two cartridges, 38 Super is the most powerful. But it requires a larger pistol.

Abert Rim
09-05-2024, 09:32 AM
Those Shields at $299 are a crazy good buy. I enjoyed playing with the caliber in an EZ. Shooting on a Shoestring's thread is full of great information.

shdwlkr
09-05-2024, 10:05 AM
thank you for the information and it helps a lot in understanding the difference between the 30 super carry and the 38 super

Divil
09-17-2024, 09:46 PM
I wish the .30 Super was chambered in a pistol that I would be interested in owning. Maybe in 2025…

Delkal
09-17-2024, 10:56 PM
I wish the .30 Super was chambered in a pistol that I would be interested in owning. Maybe in 2025…

I doubt you will be able to find the ammo at the end of 2005. When S&W starts closing out the only two pistols chambered for it less than 2 years after the introduction it is obvious that things are not good. Normally I would just say stock up on a few thousand brass but that won't even work. I have never seen brass for sale so you will have to buy new ammo first. And why did they pick .312 instead of a readily available .308 bullets. This round was pure marketing hype from the beginning.

I have been seeing good specials on ammo though. So even though it is are still not as cheap as 9mm buy a few cases.

Soundguy
09-17-2024, 11:01 PM
I load for it as well. the only downside is that it is a cartridge that just doesn't lend well to using cast projectiles. I did lots of testing. it's versatile with anything jacketed..and very usable with good plated bullets..but cast..not so great..at least depending on the gun. In my EZ..to get the action to always function without a doubt plus some leeway..I was loading at 66-70% of optimal power... and the trade off was I was getting too fast or too much pressure for normal alloy..had to go gas checked Lyman #2 to not lead..and I was still handicapping the round. it really excellent using jacketed bullets..I went with hornady xtp. that and 444 marlin and occasionally 5.7 are about the only jacketed I shoot or load nowadays. I run lead everywhere else.

Bmi48219
09-18-2024, 01:10 AM
….. When S&W starts closing out the only two pistols chambered for it less than 2 years after the introduction it is obvious that things are not good. Normally I would just say stock up on a few thousand brass but that won't even work. I have never seen brass for sale so you will have to buy new ammo first..

Might involve some work but could 30 carbine brass be turned down and trimmed to fit? Base dimension aren’t that far apart.

shooting on a shoestring
09-18-2024, 07:15 AM
Soundguy, I’m surprised at your experience. Mine has been great with cast. Only jacketed was a box or so early on. All else I’ve been shooting is cast. Just ran about 200 rounds yesterday. Been doing that almost weekly.

My favorite boolit and practically all I shoot is Accurate 31-117E cast 96% lead 2% tin 2% antimony, air cooled, sized 0.316”. I use 0.316” because my throat and chamber are cut large. Normal load is 5.5 grains of a mail surp powder that’s close to AA#5. Makes about 1200 fps.

Ive also used Accurate 31-090B and an NOE 105 grain RNFP. But only shot them to work up loads. I’m in love with the big meplat so only shoot 31-117E.

K43
09-18-2024, 07:24 AM
So, what does it do that 7.62 Tokerev doesn't besides be in a new pistol?

shooting on a shoestring
09-18-2024, 07:24 AM
I’m a big fan of the 30 Super Carry cartridge. And I too have wished for a better pistol than the S&W reciprocators. Love to see it in Sig P365, Springfield Hi-Power clone SA-35, Springfield EMP 4” or even a swap cylinder Single Seven 327 & 30 Super Carry.

But I don’t think that’ll happen. Just not financially feasible as long as 9mm is on the scene. There’s just not a reason for the masses who buy ammunition to choose 30 Super Carry over 9mm.

shooting on a shoestring
09-18-2024, 07:29 AM
K43, 30 Super Carry does overlap greatly in ballistics with the Tok cartridge. But, 30 SC does it with less powder capacity, less case volume, smaller case diameter and makes up for it with higher pressure. So, you get the same ballistics from a smaller cartridge. That means more 30 SC cartridges in the same magazine space. Also 30 SC can be put into smaller pistols.

Landric
09-18-2024, 08:10 AM
I very much want to like this cartridge because I am a big .32 fan. However, the lack of availability of brass, the limited selection of pistols, and the use case for the cartridge limit my interest.

My basic carry guns are small revolvers (LCRs in .327 Federal, .38 Special, and 9mm & J-frames in .32 H&R Magnum and .38 Special) and Glock 48s. I have Glock 19s and 49s that I carry every once in a while if I feel like something bigger. I think for carry, a Glock 48 (Glock 50?) in .30 SC would be great. Maybe 12 rounds in the factory mag and enough barrel to get good velocity, while still being small and light. That might well get me into the cartridge if the ammo/brass situation was better.

For other uses, it isn't practical for me. Most of the "gun games" have a caliber lower limit that is somewhere around 9mm/.356. The advantage of greater capacity in the same size pistol is lost if the cartridge isn't allowed. I run into that same problem with my .32 caliber revolvers.

I've never gotten to shoot a .30 SC. If it is anything like the difference between .327 Federal and .32 H&R Magnum though, I can understand the lack of popularity. It is billed as near 9mm performance with less recoil and more capacity. That is basically how .327 is billed over .357 Magnum. However, the .327 is still a beast in small revolvers. The full power 115 grain Gold Dot load (not sure if they still make that load) in a LCR is every bit as unpleasant as a full power .357 Magnum load out of a .357 LCR. The .30 SC shouldn't have that problem, even if it recoils as much as a 9mm, that really isn't that much. However, more expensive ammunition, similar recoil, probably as much or more blast (~15000 PSI higher pressure), etc. What does one really get for that, 2 or 3 more rounds in a magazine?

So, I get why it isn't popular. I still want to like it. However, it is really starting to make .327 Federal look successful, and I don't have to chase my brass for that.

K43
09-18-2024, 08:39 AM
K43, 30 Super Carry does overlap greatly in ballistics with the Tok cartridge. But, 30 SC does it with less powder capacity, less case volume, smaller case diameter and makes up for it with higher pressure. So, you get the same ballistics from a smaller cartridge. That means more 30 SC cartridges in the same magazine space. Also 30 SC can be put into smaller pistols.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Smaller pistol, more efficient. Not on my radar, but cool.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-18-2024, 09:54 AM
I recall that the 'reason' for the .30 Super was to add a few rounds to the capacity of the mini 9's with the same performance? Availability and cost of ammo probably override that extra shot or two. I would guess muzzle blast might be unpleasant. I was not interested. Still using an XDs .45 or a S&W Shield 9mm but I am home when the street lights come on. Rattlers are my big threat.

shooting on a shoestring
09-18-2024, 10:19 AM
The 9mm was a modern high pressure cartridge in 1902. Even with its military contracts right off the bat it took a few decades to migrate across the pond to America.

The 30 Super Carry was a more modern more high pressure cartridge in 2022.
Better steels in guns coupled with better powders lets the 30 SC run 50,000 psi (rifle pressure) in a modern dinky plastic pistol. No military contracts (yet), so no one is surprised it’s not setting sales records.

But since the 30 SC genie is out of the bottle, I don’t think it’ll ever completely disappear. Like the Tok cartridge, or 30 Luger or 32 acp, there’ll be a following. It won’t be on the shelves of BassPro, but it’ll have a cult status.

Soundguy
09-18-2024, 11:12 AM
Soundguy, I’m surprised at your experience. Mine has been great with cast. Only jacketed was a box or so early on. All else I’ve been shooting is cast. Just ran about 200 rounds yesterday. Been doing that almost weekly.

My favorite boolit and practically all I shoot is Accurate 31-117E cast 96% lead 2% tin 2% antimony, air cooled, sized 0.316”. I use 0.316” because my throat and chamber are cut large. Normal load is 5.5 grains of a mail surp powder that’s close to AA#5. Makes about 1200 fps.

Ive also used Accurate 31-090B and an NOE 105 grain RNFP. But only shot them to work up loads. I’m in love with the big meplat so only shoot 31-117E.

I didn't say that I couldn't get it to run..I did. it runs fine..it just is a handicap to this type of round..obviously higher pressures and speeds can be reached with jacketed rounds..and get better performance. For some guns you can get optimal performance with hard cast..even better performance than jacketed. I can make better cast 357 results in ballistic gel than I can get with any commercial jacketed when looking at wound cavity..mushroom diameter and weight retention..but with 30sc.. it's hard to match ultimate jacketed performance with lead.

Soundguy
09-18-2024, 11:14 AM
I recall that the 'reason' for the .30 Super was to add a few rounds to the capacity of the mini 9's with the same performance? Availability and cost of ammo probably override that extra shot or two. I would guess muzzle blast might be unpleasant. I was not interested. Still using an XDs .45 or a S&W Shield 9mm but I am home when the street lights come on. Rattlers are my big threat.

yep//10rnd m,ags becme 13..etc.

I really think it's the pressure that makes this a less than stellar lead round..I mean it works..but this is one of those that jacketed simply works better.

shooting on a shoestring
09-18-2024, 06:35 PM
Ahhh.
Ok.
I get what you’re saying now. And I agree, for the most part.
Yep trying harness all 50,000 psi with cast boolits is a hard thing to do…

I have caught serval of my boolits in lines of water jugs. The 31-117E is a bore rider before firing. But those that I have caught showed the bore riding portion with full length, full depth rifling grooves. That means at firing, that high psi did a heck of an upset or obturation. I’ll guess the reason that boolit and alloy doesn’t strip the riflings is that it does turn into a full wadcutter and grips the riflings with its full length before it hardly moves. It also seals the bore well with that full boolit length bearing surface it achieves.

ohen cepel
09-18-2024, 07:01 PM
If someone had made a platform to optimize it then I think it would have had a chance. With only one S&W option and a $3k+ Nighthawk option that makes it a tough sale (sorry if I missed others).

I am a huge 32mag/327 fan so not opposed to a 32 caliber round.

jrayborn
09-19-2024, 10:21 AM
Ya, I for one love the cartridge but dislike the platforms available to it. Seems to me it really didn't stand a chance.

Soundguy
09-19-2024, 11:11 AM
Ahhh.
Ok.
I get what you’re saying now. And I agree, for the most part.
Yep trying harness all 50,000 psi with cast boolits is a hard thing to do…

I have caught serval of my boolits in lines of water jugs. The 31-117E is a bore rider before firing. But those that I have caught showed the bore riding portion with full length, full depth rifling grooves. That means at firing, that high psi did a heck of an upset or obturation. I’ll guess the reason that boolit and alloy doesn’t strip the riflings is that it does turn into a full wadcutter and grips the riflings with its full length before it hardly moves. It also seals the bore well with that full boolit length bearing surface it achieves.

yup..I agree. it runs good with lots of bearing surface..and yup..50k is just a lot for lead.