PDA

View Full Version : Need help with problematic S&W revolver

high standard 40
08-22-2024, 10:39 AM
I am in need of some guidance from an S&W revolver guru. A friend brought me a revolver in need of some help. This is the second such S&W from my friend. The first one, a 686, looked like it had spent a week or two at the bottom of a sandy creek. I succeeded in getting that one back in running condition but this second S&W has me scratching my head. The current problem child is a model 15-3 in nickle finish and it was almost in as bad a shape as the previous 686. I disassembled and cleaned it as best as I could and reassembled it, oiling it as required, and with the sideplate off it operated as it should. I put the sideplate on and it will not advance the cylinder. With the sideplate on the single action and double action trigger pull works just fine but the cylinder won't advance. It's as though the hand is binding somehow. I did notice a very shallow dent in the sideplate close to where the recess is cut into the sideplate that the hand is supposed to fit into. I checked the sideplate to be sure it was flat and not warped. I carefully did my best remove the dent. Nothing has resolved this issue so far. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

schutzen-jager
08-22-2024, 11:38 AM
jmho dykem, Prussian blue on side plate, hand + other moving action parts, + contact surfaces - install plate + try cycling - remove plate + look for any binding or non contacting connections -

Rapier
08-23-2024, 09:52 AM
I is difficult not seeing the 15, to diagnose a problem. Besides the obvious bent plate or wrong assembly, you might try this:

A very common problem with 15s and 19s is the ejector rod gets bent by hitting it with the heel of the hand, on an angle, when ejecting brass. The bent ejector rod causes the cylinder face to drag on the back of the barrel. If the rod is bent badly, the cylinder will, lock up.

You can check for a bent ejector rod quickly by opening the cylinder, put the bottom of the gun butt flat on a lined piece of paper, on a flat surface, ejector rod in line or parall to a line on the paper, and then turn the cylinder above the paper by the fingers of the off hand watch the rod to see if the rod stays straight on the line on the paper. If the rod wobbles as it turns...you need a new ejector rod. And a Smith ejector rod is threaded in reverse.

high standard 40
08-23-2024, 11:44 AM
Using the advice given I could find no evidence of binding. As I examined this issue closer, I discovered a new symptom. With the gun fully assembled and the gun held level, the cylinder will not turn when the trigger is pulled. If I point the gun vertically the cylinder won't turn when the trigger is pulled. But if the gun is pointed at the floor it will work as it should. I now think I have isolated the problem. I'll try to post pictures to illustrate.

deltaenterprizes
08-23-2024, 12:48 PM
There is a fine spring that puts pressure on the hand to make it engage the ratchet on the cylinder, check that!
Also check the clearance of the slot in the frame where the hand goes.

high standard 40
08-23-2024, 09:07 PM
There is a fine spring that puts pressure on the hand to make it engage the ratchet on the cylinder, check that!
Also check the clearance of the slot in the frame where the hand goes.

I've checked every parts diagram I can find for the model 15-3 and I don't see a spring that directly affects the hand. Examining the gun itself I can't see where one would fit either. Am I missing something? The relief cut in the sideplate encloses the hand and guides it. I'm of the opinion that this gun may need a new trigger and hand fitted. I must admit that I am not a gunsmith but to me there has to currently be too much slop in the fit of the hand.

G W Wade
08-23-2024, 09:23 PM
The hand does not go into recut inside side plate. The hand connects to the trigger and fits in a slot in the frame behind the safety bar that you have been calling the "hand". It goes thru the slot engaging the back of the cylinder. GW

high standard 40
08-24-2024, 08:38 AM
The hand does not go into recut inside side plate. The hand connects to the trigger and fits in a slot in the frame behind the safety bar that you have been calling the "hand". It goes thru the slot engaging the back of the cylinder. GW

I am aware of that. The recess machined into the sideplate merely gives clearance for the hand to operate and in this case the hand is properly in the slot you mentioned, yet the issue I originally stated still exists. The safety bar is a different piece all together.

G W Wade
08-24-2024, 09:48 AM
My apoligies if I misunderstood your description If memory serves me right the hand spring is just a small wire. GW

high standard 40
08-24-2024, 11:59 AM
SUCCESS. Well thanks are in order for the advice and wisdom shared with me that helped me get this fine old wheelgun up and running. As I stated earlier, I make no claims to being an experienced gunsmith. G W Wade got me headed in the right direction and a youtube video showed me the way to fix it. Again, many thanks.

Pirate69
08-24-2024, 04:47 PM
Please share the solution.

high standard 40
08-24-2024, 05:15 PM
Please share the solution.

Inside a recess in the trigger is a small spring, and a leg of that spring needs to rest against one of the pins on the hand. The video link below shows a trigger different than the one I was working on but the concept is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iqAS9NWJY

G W Wade
08-24-2024, 06:29 PM
Congrats on your task. Plus now you have the power to share the knowledge. My google fuu is sorely lacking and mine is all on paper and in my head, so not able to pin or post. GW

deltaenterprizes
08-25-2024, 09:54 PM
Inside a recess in the trigger is a small spring, and a leg of that spring needs to rest against one of the pins on the hand. The video link below shows a trigger different than the one I was working on but the concept is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iqAS9NWJY

That is what I was trying to tell you!

high standard 40
08-26-2024, 07:34 AM
That is what I was trying to tell you!

Indeed you did. I then looked at parts diagrams and couldn't find where the spring was located. I finally found a youtube video that pointed out the location of the spring. As I said before, I am not a gunsmith. The inner workings of S&W revolvers is uncharted territory for me. Thanks to everyone for offering advice.

schutzen-jager
08-26-2024, 09:37 AM
iirc- some of the earlier models had a flat spring attached to lower part of hand to perform same function -

deltaenterprizes
08-26-2024, 08:39 PM
iirc- some of the earlier models had a flat spring attached to lower part of hand to perform same function -

You are correct sir!