PDA

View Full Version : My best friend asked me ...

Wayne Smith
08-18-2024, 01:30 PM
and asked me if I would ask here. He has an old Ruger .44 Magnum carbine - yes, from the 60's I believe.

He stated that the stock is dried out and cracking, and he wanted to know if a 'plastic' stock could be printed. I did mention to him that I doubted that anyone had written a program for a gun that old, but I would ask.

So, shall I tell him to forget it?

M-Tecs
08-18-2024, 01:44 PM
Wood stocks are not very common due to low volumes. Best of luck finding something other than wood. If you can find some that does wood laminate that might be your only other option.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/why-will-no-one-produce-a-synthetic-stock-for-the-44-carbine.397145/

country gent
08-18-2024, 04:15 PM
It could be printed with the right material but finding a printer big enough and the program to make it with the needed ribbing ( solid it would weigh close to 10 lbs). Fiber glass stocks are a thin shell and foam filled for strength.

What might be interesting is to use the old stock for a form, coat with release agent heavy then matting and fiberglass to form 2 half shells omitting the action and barrel inlays. Glue the 2 halves together and fill with foam and inlet. 3-4 layers should give the strength for the shells and some room for sanding.

KenH
08-19-2024, 04:53 PM
I spent several minutes searching for a replacement stock - boy those can be EXPENSIVE!! You might try this site: https://macongunstocks.com/catalog-pricing-n-z

JimB..
08-19-2024, 05:02 PM
I’d think easier to repair the wood stock than to print one in plastic.

recumbent
08-19-2024, 05:15 PM
Boyd's gunstocks are wood and not real expensive.

DaleT
08-19-2024, 05:17 PM
Buy a blank and make your own ? Go slow and when you get close to final dimension put the power tools away and grab a rasp :)

elmacgyver0
08-19-2024, 06:00 PM
Buy a blank and make your own ? Go slow and when you get close to final dimension put the power tools away and grab a rasp :)

Exactly

hoodat
08-19-2024, 06:46 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen an old, cracked, or broken stock that couldn't be fixed. A good, nicely done repair isn't unattractive. jd

pjh421
08-19-2024, 08:04 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen an old, cracked, or broken stock that couldn't be fixed. A good, nicely done repair isn't unattractive. jd

Adds character for sure.