PDA

View Full Version : 450 Marlin

dk17hmr
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
My shoulder is hurting and my head is pounding from the muzzleblast of 15 rounds, why the heck did I buy this thing...... Last fall I bought a NEF Ultra Hunter in 450 Marlin at a local pawn shop for a pretty good price for a new rifle with a scope. I have had 20 rounds of test ammo loaded for this thing since early December, finally today I dug the little rifle out of my safe and tested those rounds.

When I got it I bought a box of Hornady 325gr Lever Evelution ammo and the first groups from the rifle were right around a 1.25" for 5 shots at 100 yards with cheap Bushnell 4x, I have since upgraded to a 2-7x33 Nikon Shotgun scope. This Nikon has about a 4" eye relief which is much better for this rifle.

Anyways like I was saying my shoulder is hurting and my head is pounding, why the heck did I buy this thing Michigan whitetail are only about 150 pounds and the black bear dont ussally get bigger than 300 pounds. Then I see my 2.5" 10 shot group at 100 yards and the other 5 shot group a bit bigger than 1.5", using a 325gr Hammer and H322 powder. Who cares about recoil and muzzleblast when I have a gun that WILL kill anything I ever intent to hunt.

Anyone else shoot a NEF/H&R 450 Marlin?

brad925
02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I have the exact same gun and love it. Hurts off the bench if your not sitting straight up though. Off hand is the best. Shot my Mule buck and damn near decapatated it ...LOL. It also did a dandy job on my moose. You could see the steam coming out of the holes on both sides. I put a bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 on it with the mildots and zeroed it at 2" high at 100yds. I could use the mildots out to 475yds.

dk17hmr
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I like it other than the recoil off the bench. I have a Laminate thumbhole stock on it with a thick recoil pad, same stock they use on there Ultra Slug guns, and that really helps.

I pulled the 500 S&W Handi Rifle out today also and shot 20 rounds through it off hand at 25 yards, clover leaf groups at that range. I would rather shoot the 500 S&W with 440gr at 1850fps than the 450 Marlin with 325gr at 2000FPS. Either way I dont think there is much around that I couldnt kill with either of those rifles.