PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Square Deal

WickedGoodOutdoors
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I may pick up a Dillon Square Deal with .44 mag dies.

Any comments? God Bad, Indifferent?

What would a good used one be worth?

Is it faily easy to change dies for differnt calibers?

anyone have any caliber conversion kits that dont need or use?

Dan Cash
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I may pick up a Dillon Square Deal with .44 mag dies.

Any comments? God Bad, Indifferent?
The Square Deal is an excellent press for its intended purpose,

What would a good used one be worth?
Probably 200 up.

Is it faily easy to change dies for differnt calibers?
The SD requires propriatary dies and, to me, is aggrivating to change calibers. It really shines as a dedicated caliber reloader but is not as versitile as the 550B

anyone have any caliber conversion kits that dont need or use? Reply is contained within your quote.
Dan

jameslovesjammie
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
They are an awesome little press! The only downside to them is that they use Dillon's own proprietary dies instead of 7/8x14 dies. If you already have die sets, you can't use them in the SDB. This does make caliber conversions more expensive.

As far as price, Dillon just raised their prices again, so the used market is probably higher now than it was a year ago, too.

jhrosier
02-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I have one with three caliber conversions.
It's a good press for dedicated use and a PITA to change calibers.
If I was doing it again, I would go with the 650.

Jack

mike in co
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
so unless you plan on loading 44 and just 44........there is your answer.

now if you have a single caliber you load a lot for, buy it cheap, set it up and let it rock and roll.
try selling the cal conv that came with it.

but they are not flexible like a 550 or a 650......

i have friends with 3-4 of them. just one caliber. all in a row on a bench.

mike in co

C A Plater
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
The SDB shines in making ammo at a rate equal to much more expensive machines. It is best as a single caliber set up but I have changed from .45 to 10mm and back again. More involved setup but real word rates of 300 rounds per hour make up for the tedium. It makes it practical for me to do 500-1000 round batches in a reasonable amount of time.

HeavyMetal
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
It also won't do rifle rounds, so versatility is limited to pistol stuff.

If you can get it for the right price snap it up! As far as I'm concerned 75% of new price is my limit unless it is new in the box set up the way I want!

Thats just how I buy things but it has always been a good "rule of thumb" subject to change depending on condition of the product and the "tude" of the seller!

Larry Gibson
02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I have one and load 9mm, 38/.357, .41, .44 Spec/.44 Mag, .45 Acp and .45 Colt on mine.

No it is not versatile, you can't use other dies and it is not an easy press to "work up loads" with. It is not a press to get if you don't already have a press that takes regular dies unless you just want to load one load basically.

I do not find changing calibers to be a problem or a PITA. Once the dies are set for a specific bullet and load changing the die plate is quite simple. If you also have a dedicated powder thrower set for a specific powder and charge it is even easier. Changing from large to small or vice versa isn't difficult either. I suggest it if you have a "standard" load you mostly shoot for any of the normal pistol cartridges. The different shell plates I have are set up for those most often used loads. Specialty loads and top end magnum loads are still loaded using the single stage press and regular dies.

Yes it is a marvelous little progressive loader. Once you have the load you can really crank out quality ammo. It is nice to sit down with a cold cola, turn on some smooth soft jazz and crank out 1000 rounds in a little over 2 hours.

Larry Gibson

imashooter2
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
The difference in change over time between the 550 and the SDB is the 4 Allen bolts that hold on the SDB tool head as compared to the 550's 2 pins.

I have both presses and if I could only keep one it would be the SDB.

Springfield
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I now have 2 550's. I have twice bought SD's and twice sold them again. They just don't feel as nice to use as a 550, mostly because they are smaller and more difficult for me to get in where I need to be. And I found I HATED the auto feature. Too many years with a 550 maybe, but there it is. If you only are loading the one caliber and you are getting the press for less than 250 than go for it.

Ken 45LC
02-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Actually I just bought one from a friend at work. Got it fairly reasonable, and it came with the 44 mag set up. It's been sitting for some time because my friend had to sell his 44 because of back trouble some time ago. I just looked at the dies and toolhead, they look used but good. Since I was only going to use it to load 40, the 44 is of no use to me. I already ordered the conversion and toolhead for 40, and I think it was around $110. I'd sell the 44 conversion and toolhead for about $70 shipped.

If it wasn't for my friend selling his, I probably wouldn't have bought one because of how much the used ones are going for. And I couldn't justify paying that much for a press I was only going to load one caliber with. Haven't used it to see if I like it better than my 550, only time will tell.

Ken

August
02-25-2009, 03:57 AM
If you shoot competitively and need a lot of ammo FOR ONE CALIBER, the SDB cannot be beaten.

mike in co
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
If you shoot competitively and need a lot of ammo FOR ONE CALIBER, the SDB cannot be beaten.

well its not true......what is true is if you add "for the money" to the statement.

the 550 and 650 will easily out perform the count per hour....but at a price.

Lloyd Smale
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
ive got 5 of them set up in different calibers and love them. I see no big deal in swaping calibers on them but then im lazy. there no harder to swap then a 550 or any other progressive. Caliber converting is slightly more expensive with one though. I see no problem using them to work up loads either. I do it all the time. they are a good little press and will darned near keep up with a 650 with a case feeder if you get a good rythmm going. They will absolutely leave my 550 in the dust for production.

sargenv
02-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I know a few competitive IPSC shooters who only load on an SDB. People say they aren't as good as a 550 and they might be somewhat right, but I've known too many people who have had a double charge in their guns and they all loaded on a 550. Having the auto index feature means that you have to work at throwing a double charge. It's just too easy to throw a double on a 550 if you get distracted.

Springfield
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I have been loading on my 550 for 18 years and never had a double charge. I did have a couple of empty cases that I almost missed as the SD advanced the cases when I didn't want it to when I did things like put in a 44-40 case instead of a 45 Colt case. I personally found it to be a large PIA when there was any sort of error like that. If you only load one case with no chance of mixing up cases they work fine. For me, I didn't like them. I also use bulky powders in smokeless and BP for my personal ammo so I CAN'T double charge. I do that on purpose. Plus I do somne rifle loading, and that the SD can't do. YMMV

arcticbreeze
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I have loaded all my pistol cartridges on a SDB's and do not find caliber changes to be a problem. I have had one since 1999. My current one is newer.

Char-Gar
02-25-2009, 08:48 PM
I am not a fan of progressive presses in general and the Dillon Square D in particular. I had one for a couple of years and sold it for a song. The primer seating was funky and often I had to reseat the primers and I did manage to double charge (and fire) a round. No damage done, but not something I want to repeat. Progressive work good enough if you give them 100% of your attention 100% of the time. Let you mind wander and you can have all sorts of tie up and problems in general. A good turrent press is fast enough for me.

Lloyd Smale
02-26-2009, 07:40 AM
I guess i feel that when i reload i have to give it my complete attention even if its on a single stage press so the safety issue with any of them doesnt fly with me. Even if it did demand more attention id rather give it my complete attention for an hour and crank out 500 rounds of ammo then spend a day trying to stay focused on a single stage press. I would think theres more chance for a mistake sitting behind a press for a whole day. I would NEVER in a million years go back to loading handgun rounds on a single stage press. It would be about like trading my truck for a horse. I load ALOT probably more then most here and i allways tell people two things id never go without again are a good progressive press and a star sizer.

acemedic13
02-26-2009, 08:13 AM
xxxxxxxxx

kernal_panic
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
The difference in change over time between the 550 and the SDB is the 4 Allen bolts that hold on the SDB tool head as compared to the 550's 2 pins.

I have both presses and if I could only keep one it would be the SDB.

not entirely. there is also the extremely tight area to work with in getting out the shell plate. shell plate is a major pain to change. primer size swap is about the same.

i just sold my SDB on flea bay afterpicking up a 550b.

imashooter2
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
not entirely. there is also the extremely tight area to work with in getting out the shell plate. shell plate is a major pain to change. primer size swap is about the same.

i just sold my SDB on flea bay afterpicking up a 550b.

Is that a joke? The 550 shell plate change is more complicated and takes longer than the SDB. You have a bolt and a set screw to mess with and you have to get the bolt to just the right torque or the plate is too loose or too tight. And don't forget swapping out the advance star while you're tinkering around.

Now I don't think that any of that is a big deal, but it more than offsets any problems the mechanically inept might have with the "extremely tight" SDB access.:roll:

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
square deal is a breeze to swap shell plates on. Just first pull of your dies and use a long allen wrench down through the top. I dont swap them much anymore because i have enough of them set up in specific calibers but i know i could swap calibers including swaping priming systems in under 5 minutes. theres even an advantage to not doing it my way. When you swap calibers it gives you the best chance to clean the internals anyway. I just wish dillon would come out with a case feeder for a sd. Why would they do it for a 550 and not a square deal!! Only thing i can think of is they sell for half of what 650 cost and with a case feeder they would leave a 650 or 1050 in the dust for production and it would probably cut into the sales of those two presses.

qtip223
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Square Deal is a fine press. I have owned one for 15 years. Dillon's lifetime warranty is hard to beat.

arcticbreeze
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
The shell plate takes about 10 seconds to change; there is only 1 screw and a guide wire. The biggest pita about the primer change is emptying the primer tube which is not difficult. I think allot of people relay ideas about the SDB that they have heard others say because I find it hard to believe that is there experience. The SDB is a fine press; it is not as glamorous as some but does a nice job of what it is built for.

imashooter2
02-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Primer tubes are remarkably easy to empty. You pull the handle 100 times. :)

The problem is keeping them full!

UncleClark
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
I have used one for about 15 years or so to reload a lot of pistol calibers. My brother also keeps his 550 at my house so I have both presses in use. They are both fine presses. Your main criteria for a SDB vs the 550 should be whether you need to reload rifle, not the quirks of each press. I don't find either press difficult to change calibers. If you ask me the biggest pain changing calibers is adjusting the powder measure. Unless you plan to buy a lot of powder measures you will need to adjust the measure every time you change calibers.

Its true the SDB has special dies, but I have never had any issue using them, they work perfectly.

Throckmorton
02-28-2009, 11:30 AM
too small and cramped for me,but then I've been a 550 kind of guy for a dozen years.
I have one of each,and if I added a third,it'd be another 550

WickedGoodOutdoors
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Just picked one up and it came with .44 mag dies and .38/357 mag dies.

Just missed it: The guy "Gave Away" 150 pounds of powder and tons of primers to get them out of the house due to his bambino.

Now I need to get powder, primers, cast & jacket Boolits and some dies for .45acp

abunaitoo
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
A friend gave me one for free a while ago. 45acp.
The powder measure tube was broken, so I emailed Dillon to see if it was covered under warrenty. It was!!!!
Got a new one a few weeks later.
I don't reload much for pistol, so I haven't tried it yet.

Any connents on the powder measure????
How good is it????
Can it be used on a regular press????

WildmanJack
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Abunaitoo,
I load .45acp, .45 colt, .357, and .45-70 on my 550. Years ago I loaded on a Star Universal press. It was the smoothest and best press I ever used. Now I have a Dillon, I have to tell you. The dillon is the next best thing to a Star. No it's not as smooth, no, it's not as small, nor is it as easy to change calibers, but it sure is a great press. I was teaching a buddy to load his .45 ACP on it last week. It was kind of a pain as he wanted to weigh every third round of powder. I told him to just keep loading and if the drop changed after 30 rounds I'd buy him dinner. IT DIDN"T!!!!! I love my Dillon and can't say enough about it. I just bought a Square Deal a few months ago from Cajun Shooter and haven't set it up yet. I have no expectations that it will be a problem setting up. Dillon makes a wonderful product..
All the best,
Jack

mike in co
03-01-2009, 03:41 AM
A friend gave me one for free a while ago. 45acp.
The powder measure tube was broken, so I emailed Dillon to see if it was covered under warrenty. It was!!!!
Got a new one a few weeks later.
I don't reload much for pistol, so I haven't tried it yet.

Any connents on the powder measure????
How good is it????
Can it be used on a regular press????

powder measure work good wiht fine powders, get bulk or long and it may not be as accurate...but in 45 with aa 2i...like butter with a hot knife....

mike in co

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2009, 08:51 AM
someone touched on the only problem i have with them. there small and i have problems getting a good pace loading small rounds like the 32mag on them. I guess i wouldnt call it a problem but it isnt as conveinent as my 550 for that purpose. As to the powder ajustments when switching calibers. that can be done fast too. Just buy extra charge bars and set them for the loads you use most and mark them. then when switching calibers it just takes a second to swap in your adjusted powder bar and go to town.
I have used one for about 15 years or so to reload a lot of pistol calibers. My brother also keeps his 550 at my house so I have both presses in use. They are both fine presses. Your main criteria for a SDB vs the 550 should be whether you need to reload rifle, not the quirks of each press. I don't find either press difficult to change calibers. If you ask me the biggest pain changing calibers is adjusting the powder measure. Unless you plan to buy a lot of powder measures you will need to adjust the measure every time you change calibers.

Its true the SDB has special dies, but I have never had any issue using them, they work perfectly.

AZ Pete
03-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I have a 550b (have had it for about 18 years) and a SDB (bought used about 10 years ago). I do all of my pistol loading on the SDB, .38spl., .357 mag., 9mm, 41 mag., 44 spl., 44 mag., 45 acp, 45 Colt.

I don't see the complaint about caliber changes. They take a few minutes, and the primer change the same, as setting the powder charge. If you are loading a few of a caliber at a time, then you don't need a progressive. But if you are loading volume, set it up for the caliber you want and go to town. Then change the caliber to the next one.

Dillon has rebuilt the SDB for me, completely gone through, parts replaced, at no charge. Dillon gave me the updated primer feed, making sure that it was the size that I most often use (lg. pistol), I keep the original as sm. pistol and just change out the entire primer feed, when I need to change from one primer size to another, rather than fool with the smaller parts.

Really guys, once familiar with the SDB, and set up with tool heads and dies for the calibers that you load, the change over is smooth and easy.

I only use the 550b for bulk loading .223 now, and if I ever run out of ammo for the Garand, I will bulk load -06 with it.

Any small lots for load development or hunting are loaded on a Forster Bonanza Co-Ax.

The SDB is awsome for pistol loading. If I was looking for greater convenience, I would buy another SDB and keep one set for large primers, and one for small primers. And that would just be for days that I feel the need to load calibers in both primer sizes, and was in a great big hurry.

kernal_panic
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Is that a joke? The 550 shell plate change is more complicated and takes longer than the SDB. You have a bolt and a set screw to mess with and you have to get the bolt to just the right torque or the plate is too loose or too tight. And don't forget swapping out the advance star while you're tinkering around.

Now I don't think that any of that is a big deal, but it more than offsets any problems the mechanically inept might have with the "extremely tight" SDB access.:roll:

:roll:

yeah try getting a allen wrench in there to do it some time. the 550b has a set screw and a much larger working area. it takes longer to change the SDB plate. unless YOU make a tool specifically to do it. the long end of the allen wrench is too long to be able to insert into the bolt head. so you have to use the short end. then you run into the problem of width. the press frame is narrow. the long end on the wrench prevents going around in 360.

I probably wasn't clear on the primer assembly on the SDB. its easy to swap over.

the SDB isn't difficult it can be more time consuming.

Landric
03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I owned a SDB for a while, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Several years back I got divorced and moved into an apartment where I didn't have the room for my reloading stuff. So, my RCII and SDB went to a friend who wanted to get into handloading. The idea was he would store it for me (and be welcome to use it) until I moved somewhere I could set it up.

Last year I bought a house and again had room for the presses. However, my friend had loaded so much ammo for me on them while I didn't have the space (at his expense for components), that I decided he now owned both the presses.

When I got the SDB I was loading primarily .45ACP. At the time 9x19 (which was my second most shot chambering) was so cheap it almost didn't make sense to reload it (I still did from time to time, but mostly I bought it). I did my .45ACP load working on the RCII, then once I got one I liked, I'd load thousands on the SDB.

I really liked the SDB, and the short, fat .45ACP made it easy to see powder charges and handle components during the loading process. I never had a bad round loaded on the SDB.

I never tried to change calibers on the SDB. My friend bought a conversion kit for 9x19 for it, but shortly thereafter he got a great deal on a slightly used 550b. He loads .45ACP, 9x19, .40S&W, and .38 Special. He uses the SDB for the .45ACP and the 550b for all the small primer chamberings. He is planning on getting into loading .223 shortly and plans to do load development on the RCII and then bulk on the 550b.

I bought myself an older RCII NIB that had been sitting around for a while (I like the older RCII better than the new Supreme model) and I've been doing all my handloading on it for the last year. I actually really like loading on a single stage, but I'll eventually add a progressive again.

I only load for handguns, and if I ever decide to load for rifle it will be at a low enough volume that I will do it on the RCII. I've gotten to the point where I shoot pretty much equal numbers of .45ACP, 9x19mm, and .38 Special. I'm thinking I will add a turret press here soon (perhaps a Lee Classic Cast) and then another Dillon in the future. Which Dillon remains to be seen, but it might well be a SDB again. If it is, it will probably be in .45ACP again.

Springfield
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I can't believe someone thinks changing the shell plate on a 550 is difficult. Jeez, just loosen the set screw, sping out the center bolt with your fingers, remove old plate, set in new plate, spin the bolt down with your fingers aging until slightly tight and screw in the set screw. Less than a minute! Like I said, my SD made fine ammo, but it was just too cramped in there for me, I like to SEE what is happening. And since I didn't like the auto indexing there were zero reasons to use one over a 550. Plus I have the choice of using different dies than Dillon, and can even ad a case feeder if I want. And don't forget the rifle reloading. As for price, the Dillon catalog says 319 for a SD, 379 for a 550, plus some more for dies, which most of us already have if we started on a single station press. . Hardly worth considering.

mike in co
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I can't believe someone thinks changing the shell plate on a 550 is difficult. Jeez, just loosen the set screw, sping out the center bolt with your fingers, remove old plate, set in new plate, spin the bolt down with your fingers aging until slightly tight and screw in the set screw. Less than a minute! Like I said, my SD made fine ammo, but it was just too cramped in there for me, I like to SEE what is happening. And since I didn't like the auto indexing there were zero reasons to use one over a 550. Plus I have the choice of using different dies than Dillon, and can even ad a case feeder if I want. And don't forget the rifle reloading. As for price, the Dillon catalog says 319 for a SD, 379 for a 550, plus some more for dies, which most of us already have if we started on a single station press. . Hardly worth considering.

hmmmm 379 for a 550b ??? not in my catalog.....409 is how it is listed in the current catalog.

imashooter2
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
:roll:

yeah try getting a allen wrench in there to do it some time.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I had both presses? I've gotten an Allen wrench in there many, many times.

imashooter2
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I can't believe someone thinks changing the shell plate on a 550 is difficult.

I didn't say it was difficult. I said it was more time consuming than the SDB. I'll stand by that.

Springfield
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
OK, it was an older catalog. so now it is 349 versus 406. Still not enough difference to make any difference. OK, how about this. The SD has plastic bushings, the 550 has hardened steel pivots.

yarro
03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
The small size is a put off if you have used a larger progressive. The special press specific dies were a turn off to me as I already had dies. I have owned two RL550s and a RL550B and now load on a XL650. They would be a fine press if you only want to load one or two pistol calibers. Otherwise spend the extra money and get a RL550B. At about 4-5 calibers the price of the 550B will be the same as a Square Deal B. If you buy either used or Lee die set for the 550.

-yarro

imashooter2
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
OK, it was an older catalog. so now it is 349 versus 406. Still not enough difference to make any difference. OK, how about this. The SD has plastic bushings, the 550 has hardened steel pivots.

The SDB pivot bearings are brass, they don't wear out and if you should somehow ever manage to break one Dillon sends you new ones for free.

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2009, 06:47 AM
your round count will be well into 5 figures before you ever have to think about replacing any bushings on it and there free and easy to change anyway. Just sitting here thinking if mine ever actally needed them replaced. Only time i can think of is when i broke the frame on one and sent it in and they totaly rebuilt that press. Probably close to a million rounds on it before the trip though. Keep in mind too that mine are out in a dusty dirt floored barn. If you kept them clean, something i truely have a problem with with my equiptement, youd probably never wear out those bushings in two lifetimes.