PDA

View Full Version : They followed me home...

klausg
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Gang-
My local gun shop is trying to kill me. Two weeks ago as I was checking to see if they had any powder other than Green Dot or Pyrodex, I innocently decided to peruse the used rack, (a grave tactical error on my part). There, amongst the rifles that I haven't been interested in for at least five months was this nifty little Winchester 94 in 30-30. So I borrow a bore light from Jeff and proceed to take a look. The bore is in great shape, i.e. damn near new, other than about three pennies worth of copper stuck in it, the stock shows use, not abuse; there are two scratches in the receiver blue and normal bluing wear. Did I mention it was made in '58? Needless to say, I bought it. So, I spend the interim trying to get all of the copper out of the bore, lots of Hoppe's and JB's paste. Last Friday, I get a call from them that some of the powder I have on order has arrived; I say okey-dokey and stop in on the way home from work.

I am a happy man, I've got two pounds of H4350 in my hot little hands, but, like an idiot, I decide to again check out the used rack...and there, sitting next to a 7mm-08 that I've already picked up at least 150 times, is something new. It's a Marlin 1889. My interest is picqued; Jeff recognizes the look on my face and comes running over with the handy-dandy bore light. I am trying to be strong so I tell him I don't want to look, but I do anyway. The bore looks brand new; I feel my resolve weakening so I break out my cell phone to call a buddy and let him know about it. Turner was a bit miffed at me for buying that 94, so I figure this one is a natural for him. He is still at work, but says he'll check it out on his way home. I feel safe and am able to leave the gunshop with my checkbook intact. I spend the weekend waiting for Turner to call and crow about his new toy; by Sunday I can't stand it anymore so I call him. He tells me SWMBO had nixed the idea; I am now in agony, that poor lonely Marlin may be sitting there all alone on the used rack or worse yet, someone I don't know might have bought it. I can barely sleep Sunday night. I go into work yesterday and I'm on pins and needles until the gun shop opens at 1000. I give them a call a little early and lo and behold it's still there! I tell them to hold it for me, and I'll stop in on the way home. It's an 1889, built in '90, 44-40 and it's been re-blued so I'm allowed to shoot it. So now I've got two bores to slug; I've also got to locate some .44-40 dies and brass and I'll probably have to get another H & I die for it (I've got .430 & .431 which IIRC is probably going to be a bit big for it). Oh well, I guess worse things could happen...

-Klaus

6pt-sika
02-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Congrats on both !

But the 1889 in 44-40 is great !

Get a set of RCBS Cowboy dies for the 44-40 .

02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
+2 on that.

While I'm a Win type.... the Marlin 89 is one sweet gun. They were usually used HARD, HARD, HARD. So, to find one with a good bore is a treat for sure. For classsic status, they're right in there with the Win 73s and 92s

Boerrancher
02-24-2009, 09:54 PM
I am sure glad I don't find deals like, or I would be more broke than I already am.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Buckshot
02-25-2009, 04:05 AM
.............Great post. Been there done that ................ a LOT! A bunch of others here I know are the same. One day at lunch time I was on my way back to work and on my side of the street was Sportsmans Emporium. Heck I had 15 minutes so I thought I'd just stop in. Sometimes they had old gun magazines. There in the used rifle rack I spied a long barrel sticking up with a cleaning rod and a front band I didn't recognize.

At this time the Turkish Mausers were cheap and all over. Walking around the end of the rack the odd longish barrel resolved itself into a Model 1897 Remington Rolling block in really NICE shape. OH GOD! The barrel is marked "7mm SM" (Spanish Mauser) The price tag said $400, OH MY! I cocked the hammer and rolled the breechblock back. All nice and shiny SAINTS PRESERVE ME!
I don't recall now why I didn't just buy it then? I knew I was going to eventually. I mean I HAD to, but I didn't. I suppose I was fooling myself or it was another maturity test I was inflicting on myself. But I put it back and went on back to work. I couldn't work or concentrate. Suddenly I just KNEW that someone was on their way to buy that rifle. In fact the freeways were starting to back up with people on the way to The Sportsmans Emporium snooping around for 7mm Rem RB's.

When I'd come back from lunch I'd told my boss what I'd seen. He was a hunter and liked to shoot but he wasn't in the same league as us whack jobs :-) I asked him if I could take 30 minutes, run back and get it? He just laughed (like "You poor moron") and said sure, go ahead. Naturally I hit all the lights red and the mob was rapidly closing in on MY 7mm Reminton Rolling Block! Luckily I made it there before the crowd swarmed the place! In fact I was on my way back to work before anyone else showed up. Wheew, that was close! :-)

....................Buckshot

hotwheelz
02-25-2009, 06:10 AM
.............Great post. Been there done that ................ a LOT! A bunch of others here I know are the same. One day at lunch time I was on my way back to work and on my side of the street was Sportsmans Emporium. Heck I had 15 minutes so I thought I'd just stop in. Sometimes they had old gun magazines. There in the used rifle rack I spied a long barrel sticking up with a cleaning rod and a front band I didn't recognize.

At this time the Turkish Mausers were cheap and all over. Walking around the end of the rack the odd longish barrel resolved itself into a Model 1897 Remington Rolling block in really NICE shape. OH GOD! The barrel is marked "7mm SM" (Spanish Mauser) The price tag said $400, OH MY! I cocked the hammer and rolled the breechblock back. All nice and shiny SAINTS PRESERVE ME!
I don't recall now why I didn't just buy it then? I knew I was going to eventually. I mean I HAD to, but I didn't. I suppose I was fooling myself or it was another maturity test I was inflicting on myself. But I put it back and went on back to work. I couldn't work or concentrate. Suddenly I just KNEW that someone was on their way to buy that rifle. In fact the freeways were starting to back up with people on the way to The Sportsmans Emporium snooping around for 7mm Rem RB's.

When I'd come back from lunch I'd told my boss what I'd seen. He was a hunter and liked to shoot but he wasn't in the same league as us whack jobs :-) I asked him if I could take 30 minutes, run back and get it? He just laughed (like "You poor moron") and said sure, go ahead. Naturally I hit all the lights red and the mob was rapidly closing in on MY 7mm Reminton Rolling Block! Luckily I made it there before the crowd swarmed the place! In fact I was on my way back to work before anyone else showed up. Wheew, that was close! :-)

....................Buckshot

Oh my does this sound familiar to me. Glad IM not alone anymore:drinks:

thor32382
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that problem when I go to the my local gun shops.

helice
02-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Klausg,
My heart sings for joy for you. I hope to see pictures of the "blessed pair" soon. Why is it that great guns almost always come in pairs. And they usually come when I'm flat busted. Thanks for the great post. Its fun to rejoice with you. Keep writin', I'm learnin'. Helice

218bee
02-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Klausg great find on that Marlin...wonder where its been in Alaska..it probably has some stories to tell. Buckshot..great story and I'm glad you and me live far enough away from each other that we haven't collided hustling back to the local shop. Maybe somedat we will have a race say to Denver to try and beat one another to some obscure gun shops rack.
I lost out on an Colt New Police once that I looked at for years and was gathering dust in a guys case. I'm guessing it was there for over 10yrs. I had looked at it again for the 50th time and remembered the s/n and found it was made in 1907 and thought ok I'll buy the damn thing, I think it was $225.00. The shop was closed so I went on line to Midway or somewheres and buy a set of 32 S&W dies and some brass....go rolling in the shop the next morning and walk to the case and its gone!!! Guy says someone came and just bought it didn't ponder the hell out of it like I did...DAMN that wasn't you BUCKSHOT was it????

looseprojectile
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM
you just can't win.
While running my trapline last week I stopped at the local pawn shop. Nothing unusual, though there were a couple of bolt action Marlin rimfire looking rifles on the rack. What I could see from six feet away was 17 on each tag, written with a ball pen. As I already have a CZ 452 in 17 HMR I passed, though the prices were tempting.
I told a friend that someone should have those for trading stock, if nothing else.
Same friend calls next day and tells me that he bought the 17 Mach 2, Damn. Came with a cheap 4 power scope too.
Ain't I the one that bought four bricks of 17 Mach 2 ammo from CDNN about two years ago in anticipation of finding a gun someday?
Seems as though the 17 Mach 2 guns are not too plentiful. At least for a hundred bucks.
The moral to this story is, always look at and handle them. It might be something it doesn't appear to be. Still looking.

Life is good