PDA

View Full Version : New guy Thanks you all!

oldtoolsniper
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I am a new guy to all of this. I have read most of the postings here and have learned an awful lot of interesting things. I am a retired Marine, my job was a 2111 or gunsmith and a weapons storage area security inspector. If a Marine carried it I fixed it. I have had little interest in firing weapons since returning home. I tested the 240g machine guns for durability when the Corps was contemplating the switch from the M60E3. I fired until the barrels were shot out, melted or the gun just cooked off. 10,000 rounds a day was pretty normal. I stood in front of a 500 ton press in Albany Georgia putting m1911A1’s and m14’s into it to be crushed for scrap under the Clinton administration. My goal was to LTI/PFI 500 M-16’s a week and I mostly met that goal. (limited Technical inspection/ Pre-fire inspection) My last job before retiring was managing the shop that repaired every Marine weapon in Iraq for the invasion at the beginning of this war. I traveled all over the country trying to keep those guns up and running with a great team of Marines. I have seen the best this country has to offer and the worst. When I retired I came home and sold or gave away most of my guns as I had no interest in shooting just to be shooting. I enjoy fly-fishing because I can tie my own flies and catch whatever wants to eat my creation, I don’t eat fish but I love tying my own flies and catching them. I found this site and started to read. It’s the fly-tiers version of shooting. I am suddenly interested again. I have no interest in over the counter boolits, but rolling my own and the challenges involved have brought me into the sport of shooting once again. As a new member I want to thank-you all for such a great site.

Semper Fi
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/th_06022103.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/?action=view&current=06022103.flv)

45nut
02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Welcome aboard Marine.

454PB
02-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Another welcome, and thanks for your service.

So.....how's your hearing after being exposed to that much gunfire?

targetshootr
02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
It’s the fly-tiers version of shooting.

Well said.

Something I've also wondered is if troops have always used hearing protection in combat zones. Whether they use it or not, they probably don't hear much.

:castmine:

Poygan
02-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Welcome!
If I didn't cast and reload, I seriously doubt I would shoot. I love to experiment with different boolits and powder combinations. Its interesting to see how one pistol will like one combination and the next one won't.

You will also find a number of military retired folks here, including me.

waksupi
02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Welcome aboard. I believe there are quite a few here that had got jaded with shooting, until they discovered the pull of cast boolits. It is a fascinating aspect of the shooting sports, that is sadly overlooked by many.
Check into the chat room in the evenings.

oldtoolsniper
02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
We pretty much all suffer hearing loss in combat. Earplugs seem like a good idea until the concussion from an IED or other explosion pushes them deep into your brain housing group. Muzzle blast when the Marines behind you have to fire is absolutely horrible. Firing a weapon inside a bunker or a building is even worse. Marines are taught when all else fails empty the magazine so as you may imagine with three combat tours my ears ring.

On a static training/testing range ear protection is mandatory as a range safety officer I removed Marines from the range on the spot for violation of this rule. As a Marine you must qualify every year or you will not get promoted and you could be barred from Reenlistment. You only get to go to the range once a year for Requalification. I always wore earplugs and muffs over those in static situations.

madcaster
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Welcome aboard here SIR,and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to our great country!
Is there anything we can do for you?
Jeff

oldtoolsniper
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Madcaster and everyone else here

You ask if there is anything you can do for me... You already have. This site.

I do have a brand new Lyman 4500 and RCBS II lubesizer that I have yet to use. From my readings I am wondering if I should sell them and buy a star. I am a tool hog so maybe I need all three. Looks like the two I have are slow, requiring multiple handlings of each boolit and the star is a push through with no additional handling. Rifles seem to be problematic in a star and it shines for pistol. I am getting it?

madcaster
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Sir,
I think that may depend on your personnal time limitations,if you are pushed for time on just getting to go shoot then buy a Star if you wish.
If not,then the RCBS LAM II would be my prefrence for all of it!

docone31
02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the real world. You certainly paid your price!
I pan lube, and use Lee sizers.
Hey, it works, and smells good also.
Most of all, relax, get some coffee and let us bore you to death!!!
Then you can collect more tools.
I am a jeweler, you wanna see tools! Each one is minutely specific.
Glad you made it, and thank you.

jdgabbard
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Oldtoolsniper, welcome home. Three tours under my belt as well. But in the Army and not the Marines. I got tired of shooting due to the military too, and like you was re-enthused once again with the aspect of reloading. Good to have you with us!

Recluse
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Welcome aboard. This old Air Force vet salutes you for your service, sir.

Tool hog, huh? So am I. Keep the RCBS and the Lyman and save for a Star. One can NEVER have too many tools or toys.

Like you, I went for a period where I had no real personal interest in firearms, but continued to shoot and reload anyway. Glad I did--kind of that "forced discipline" thing they teach when you wear Uncle Sam's issued clothing.

I'm at the point now to where I enjoy tinkering with loads and boolits and alloys and home-brew lubes and the whatnot more than I enjoy shooting. My wife says the only reason I shoot is to see how my tinkering turns out. [smilie=1:

She's probably right.

:coffee:

Leadforbrains
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome aboard and thanks for your valuable service to our country.:drinks:

There are so many different ways to engage in this hobby it would be almost impossible to get bored with it.

R.C. Hatter
02-24-2009, 04:13 PM
First off, as I'm an old army veteran, I want to thank you for your service to our country and secondly, welcome you to this forum. You'll find a lot of nice folks here who will be glad to help you any way they can.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome back aboard, Marine!

Slow Elk 45/70
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Welcome Aboard Marine, glad to have you with us..I did 3 tours with 3rd Marines in Nam,8651, my hearing isn't so good eather, but I can still squeeze the trigger.

Happy casting, lots of good folks to talk with here at this site.

Semper Fi , mine is not to wonder why....

WHITETAIL
02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
oldtoolsniper, Welcome to the forum![smilie=w:

Dennis Eugene
02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks to us? Hell man thanks to you! Dennis

Heavy lead
02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Ditto's
Thanks is not enough, but it's all I've got, so Thank You

Dean D.
02-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Oldtoolsniper, welcome home and thank you for your service! USAF vet here.

You have found one great site on the net with some friendly and learned contributors.

Casting your own and working up that most accurate load has its own satisfaction. I marvel every time I see those gleaming silver creations drop from my mold or that nice tight group on a target.

Semper Fi , job well done Marine! :drinks:

carpetman
02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Oldtoolsniper--A young whipper snapper such as you may have been one I tried to influence to go Air Force when you were a pup and I was a recruiter. No on second thought--I didnt talk to you--you went USMC. Welcome aboard.

Lead melter
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Ditto on what's been said already. Don't know if I'll spell it properly, but here goes.....HOOO-RAH!

oldtoolsniper
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I love the Air Force! You guys had the hot chicks! I still don't think volley ball is PT.

Recluse
02-25-2009, 02:33 AM
I love the Air Force! You guys had the hot chicks! I still don't think volley ball is PT.

It is for the officers. [smilie=1:

Us enlisted guys just had to run a mile and a half in less than an hour. :mrgreen:

Wish I knew where those hot chicks were you speak of back when I was in some 30+ years ago. Back then, the chicks all had hair on their knuckles and could outdrink and outswear the crew chiefs.

Seriously though, this is a great forum and it is VERY friendly and appreciative to veterans. Several folks have started projects to help the men and women over in Sandland as well as their families that are still stateside. But basically, patriotism is valued here, but loyalty to one's buddies is valued even more.

You'll find that if someone offers to help you, such as casting or reloading or whatever, and they live in your neck of the woods, the offer is sincere and if you take them up on it, they'll show up. Not just good people here--the best. I "lurked" for probably almost five years before finally joining. Older I get, the more reclusive and anti-society I get. That's okay here, too. But over time, I have seen many geniune, deep and long-lasting friendships develop. That's priceless in an age of "me first and to hell with you" general attitudes.

:coffee:

45nut
02-25-2009, 02:46 AM
If we can pry a "Recluse" out from behind the tall grass then something must be happening right.

None of this friendship would be possible without, you guys,, the membership. I remind myself every day of that lately to remind myself that yes indeed, there are great people stiff out there that the fools in DC and Wall St. have no connection to whatsoever.
There is still hope.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. :)

timkelley
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome "Sniper" you are right, this place is fun.:-D

9.3X62AL
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Oldtoolsniper--

First and foremost--MANY THANKS for your years of service to our country.

Welcome aboard, from another fly-tier and boolit caster. I would add that trout are surely NOT the only fish species that respond well to the fly. Try a 5#+ black bass--striped bass--or perhaps saltwater species like bonito in the Pacific or the tropical battlers in FL like tarpon or bonefish on the East Coast.

sundog
02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Oldtool - volley ball is a game. PT is what you do at zero five. Welcome aboard from another retiree - Army. Thank you for your service.

oldtoolsniper
02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Being in Iowa the trout population is rather thin and the oceans are quite a ways from me I go after whatever I can catch. Bluegills, bass, perch and sunfish are easy. Once in a while I get a big ole northern and I have had pretty good luck with leaded or bead head nymphs for walleye. I have not dialed in the recipe for carp on a fly rod yet but I will. One of my closest friends is the president of Umpqua Feather Merchants so I am spoiled in that respect. I also trap full time so I have piles of furs to experiment with. I cast my own jig heads and try tying everything and anything on them. I make my own trapping lures and build lots of stuff for trapping. I render skunk fat to use for my canine lure and I am wondering what it will do for boolit lube. Then there is beaver and coon fat… I use the carp to make fish oil. I wonder why I am not married anymore.

atr
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
welcome Oldtoolsniper !!!
Lots of good information on this site.
I chuckled when I read your first post....because when I got back from my second tour in the RVN I too sold or gave away just about every firearm I owned. Just couldn't handle shooting for the "pleasure" of it.
Have fun casting...it is fun,,,,and educational ,,,,and it will drive you nuts at times
atr
RA18916617

oldtoolsniper
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I am already nut's. I used to wonder what the crazy guy down the street that we avoided at all cost as children was like. I now know, for I am him where I live.