PDA

View Full Version : Scope Warranty

RSOJim
02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
While at the range yesterday, I was loosening the lock ring that secures the ocular ( focus ) adjustment. It did not want to loosen, so I put more muscle on it. The whole thing came loose. The reticles began turning. I completely unscrewed the ocular off the scope to see what had happened. It appears that this piece was threaded and glued into position This is a simmons I bought about 20 years ago. Its one of the old Japanese 6 x 18's. This scope is on a Savage 110 chambered for .223. Its been locked away for a number of years for various reasons. My eye sight has changed since I last shot it, thats why I was adjusting the focus on the back. When I bought this scope it came with a life time warranty. I no longer have the receipt or the original box or anything to prove that I am the original purchaser. I have sent two Leupold scopes back for repair over the years, no problems getting these fixed. I did not need proof of purchase for the Leupolds. Does anyone have some experience getting a simmons or other scope repaired with a life time warranty ? I bet there will be some favorable responses and some horrible experiences. Lets hear about this one. Thanks Jim

bishopgrandpa
02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
I bought a Simmons Aetec at an auction and found the vertical adj didn't work. Sent it to Simmons with the required shipping fee and in two weeks had a brand new one sent to me. Can't argue with that.

Kraschenbirn
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
My experience with Simmons has been that they don't "repair" anything. If they determine that the problem is covered by their warranty, they simply replace it with a like item.

Bill

dubber123
02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
At worst, you will be out the shipping. Sounds like it would be worth a try.

Pepe Ray
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I had extraordinary service from Simmons.
I had been offering "sighting in services" locally. A neighbor asked that I sight in a rifle recently scoped w/a Simmons variable. The scope proved to be defective. I sent it back and an upgraded replacement was received in short time but it was "broken" in shipment (Literally) Once again returned and fast turn around with an increased grade scope again. This variable proved to be reliable and accurate. Another satisfied customer.
The biggest problem I had was finding the address to send it to.
Pepe Ray