PDA

View Full Version : BSA .22 Sweet Rifle Scope

barrabruce
02-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Any one had any experiance with a BSA Sweet rifle scope???
Seen one advertised cheap!!! 3x9 x40 for the .22 rimfire.

Would these hold up to bullet bashing calibres???
Thinking of getting one for me .22 and see how it goes on that first and maybe get to get anothery after i buy a boolit gun!!!

With a parralax adjustment down to 25 yrds I think it seems better than me old 4x32 I got on it at the moment.(75 yds) Just figured it'd be good for cast maybe as the velocities are pretty well the same even if you have to make 'yer own dial thingo!!!

Worth the money??? Good /bad / ugly!!!
Thanks
Bruce

DtheD
02-24-2009, 07:17 AM
barrabruce, just be careful using these .22 cal scopes on larger rifles as the eye relief is shorter. A bigger rifle with more recoil will have the scope hit you in the eye. Look through the scope when it's on your .22. You will see how close to the scope your eye really is. I wouldn't suggest using them on anything but .22's.

Bret4207
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
If you're looking for an inexpensive scope I'd recommend Tasco. They hold up for me. Natchez Shooters Supply has reconditioned scopes for low dollars. That's another option.

barrabruce
02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
:) If I was in Us maybe!!!

Well I might just run with it. Just for the .22
If it don't fall to pieces for a bit then I suppose for $57 Aus about $20 Us ...BNIB I'll take a punt on it.
See how it shapes up. Maybe lucky and .....fob it of to someone else :) :)

Might work out useable. or sell it with a rifle I don't want!!!!

Thanks
Bruce

corvette8n
02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
I had a BSA scope go bad on me, the inside of the glass looked like someone sprayed it it oil, anyaway sent it back to BSA with the required check for $9.95 to cover warrenty work, got a call from BSA said they don't make that scope anymore so if I would send them an additional $19.95 they would send me an equalvalent scope. I told them to keep it and I would never buy another BSA scope again.

IcerUSA
02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
See if you have Barska's (SP) down your way , they are a step up from the BSA's I think . I got a couple of the varmit scopes for the 22-250 and 7mm and it is holding up to the 7mm Rem Mag well , got about 300 full load rounds down range so far and not problems so far .

Keith

kir_kenix
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a 4-12 .17 hmr "sweet" scope. It's a pretty decent scope for what I do with it (shoot ground squirrels and crows). The bullet drop compensator is pretty much worthless, as I won't be shooting my .17 out to 250 yards, and it's plenty flat inside 125 yards to do most of everything I do with it. It's probably not the greatest scope I could put on my hmr, but it does work and I'm pretty happy with it. The AO is pretty decent too, you can use that as a range estimator and make hits on ground squirrels and crows inside of 125-130 yards pretty much everytime.

It's a decent looking scope, but it's mighty long and heavy for the tiny rifle I have it mounted on. My .17 is one of the first Savage put out, and it has a pretty light contoured barrel. I glass-bedded the action, and then bedded a threaded rod the whole length of the stock forarm (it was super flimsy from the factory). Weight seemed too far forward so I filled the butt-stock full of styrofoam and "the good stuff". Threw a cheapo harris knockoff bipod and the "sweet .17" on it...brings the weight up to around 7 or 7.5lbs (rifle stock was probably around 5 lbs). It's a really good shooter, and I don't think I would benefit from a higher power scope.

I have thought about buying a sweet .22 to throw on a savage bolt .22, but I've never gotten around to it. I wouldn't try using this scope on a centerfire, as I'm pretty sure that it would get shot loose in very short order.

Ed Barrett
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a "Sweet .223" scope, I thought it would be nice for the drop compensator. I came with 4 different knobs for different weight bullets and if you stick to copying factory ammo with j-bullets they work fine. With cast bullets and non-standard loads, you just have to feel the clicks. I have had mine on a CZ for about a thousand rounds, it's on a flattop AR now and it's had a couple of thousand J type bullets through it and it's worked flawlessly. For a cheap scope I couldn't ask for more.

barrabruce
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Well its on its way .
So I'll see how it shapes up.:)

Thats for the imput fellas much appreciated.

Bruce

barrabruce
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Well got the scope and gave it a test run today at the range.

My excuse it was blustery and one of me target holders leg broke, making it move around a bit. http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/remingtonnscope.jpg
Well got a photo in this thing fianlly!!!!

The dials don't seem to match any ammo I can get....or maybe its special ammerican yards.....or cos the barrels a bit..lopped off.

Anyway it was consistant in the errors in range. With all tyoes of ammo tested.

Guess I may need graduate a new ring for it.:-D

Not a fine a reticle as a leopold but the otics seem clear enough ..survived one dropping on to the side adjuster with out the cap on when if fell on to the bench un a tended.:roll:

Cheers
Thanks for advice
Bruce

Now I just got to get it to shoot at a 100 yrds as good as it does at 50.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Don't worry about the dial markings. Use a pencil for markings on the drum. I set my sweet .22 scope up for 22 mag out to 250 yards in 25 yard increments with pencil marks and the combination will work for groundhogs easily. BvT

twotrees
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Wal Mart sells a Daisy brand scope, in a blister pack with rings ,3X9 for $29. It's made for air rifles and is sprung for the double 2 way thump an air rifle gives.

We bought one for a young shooter to put on a 22, we (The Wife and I) got him 3 years ago.

It adjusts to 10 yards on it's AO and has held zero through all the bumps and bangs that a new shooter can put on a rifle.

To me it's a winner. As for bigger cal's, I think I would stop at 223 or there abouts with any 22 rated scope.

Good Shooting.

barrabruce
03-15-2009, 09:37 AM
BVT yeah ..!! will do that next time.
Just run a mrker from the ydrs mark to the matching click or maybe scribe me own.

Think DtheD was right about the eye relief and recoil on larger wespons and I'd be looking for something else for me "new gun"when I make up me mind.

For its intended purpose it works quite well. NO complaints at all.

see how it goes 10 yrs down the track.

Back to the drawing board on getting this to shoot.

I think my main trouble is different pressures and burns in the short barrell with cheap subsonic and sonic ammo.

I know that a silencer will even such things out a lot somehow adds 40 ft per second and scubs off the "tail" and evens pressures or something like that.(don't ask me how I knows cos they were banned in OZ 20 yrs ago :( ) So being an upright sort of fella I may try to make a full lenght sleave out of tubing to "stiffen" the barrell it a bit and have some sort of "baffled" muzzle break/holed thingo set up. See if they let me on the range or ban me for life :idea::groner: Anyways thats another story. 19mm at 50yds is pretty average I suppose. But I had one that would shoot that at 100yrds all day.....but thats a whole nother story!!!

Bruce

GT27
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I had a bad experience with BSA. I had bought 2 of their green dots and 1 of the rheostats on one of the scopes went bad.Had to ship it back to them,as per their hidden warranty disclosure they wanted me to pay for them to ship it back to me.They didn't cost a lot, but it taught me to not give them anymore of my business...(check the warranty disclosures)

Maven
06-12-2010, 02:13 PM
bb, I purchased a 2 x 7X BSA air rifle scope for my rifle and couldn't be happier with it: Very clear & contrasty, repeatable settings, and it has held its "0". As for the Tasco scope, which Bret mentioned, the ca. 1990 and older ones were very well made, but the lifetime or limited lifetime warranty is essentially worthless: Only 90 day guarantee on repairs/replacements + a $ 35 fee to "evaluate" problems with a scope sent to them. (Don't ask how I know this.)

Herb in Pa
06-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I also use a BSA Airgun Scope (2x7) on my "Problem solver"

Jon K
06-15-2010, 11:37 AM
As for the Tasco scope, which Bret mentioned, the ca. 1990 and older ones were very well made, but the lifetime or limited lifetime warranty is essentially worthless: Only 90 day guarantee on repairs/replacements + a $ 35 fee to "evaluate" problems with a scope sent to them. (Don't ask how I know this.)

Ditto...Ditto on Tasco. I mounted a Tasco 6X on a T/C Contender 10" 7TCU....2nd shot the cross hairs fell off....load was 8 gr Unique/145 gr boolit Wimp load.
Needless to say it went into the trash can, replaced it with a BSA Sweet 17 2-7X....worked great.

Jon