PDA

View Full Version : Paper & Jacketed Comparison

beemer
02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
I had just finished patching some Lee 180 gr. boolits to .314 for my 91/30 and noticed a few Speer 180 RN bullets I had left over from my 303. I loaded 8 of the paper patch and the 8 Speer bullets with the same load. I used a load of 40 grs. of 4064 and a .5 ball of dacron. Both were seated with the bullet base at the base of the neck.I have used similar loads in the rifle before so I had an idea what it would do with the PP. The jacketed went into 2 5/8 for 5 shots at 100 yds, the PP went into 2 1/2 for 4 shots, I pulled one big time and called it so I didn't count it. The elevation was about the same but the windage with the PP was 2 in. to the left. The rest were ran across the Chrony, thats whats interesting. The jacketed was about 2140 fps and the PP was 140 fps faster.

The bore was clean so I fired the PP first, cleaned the bore and fired the copper. I always like to spot the first shot out of a clean bore just to learn the quriks of the rifle. The primers looked the same and I couldn't tell any diference firing them. I will probably try it again to see if it was a fluke. Not really a detailed test but fun.

beemer

docone31
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey Beemer! Where you been?
I have noticed greater differences between jacketeds and paper. My paper loads are so much more accurate than jacketeds with the SAME load it is amazing.
In my .303 Brit, I use 40.4gns of Surplus 4895, same with my .308, both in my custom Mauser heavy barrel, and both of my Ishapore MK2 2As.
My Mauser is bedded, and my Enfields are competition bedded.
With a 10rd string, the jacketeds are 6" at 100yds in the Enfields, the .308s are 2", the .303 is 3". The .303 is more loose as the bore is large. The Mauser is different, it is iron sight with 2lb Timney. That one is 1.5" at 100yds with jacketeds, 10rds, 1" at 100 with paper.
I am sold, and YOU gave me the magic formula! Needless to say, I am grateful.
I have this fancy Ruger MKII in 25-06. I have not taken it out of the closet for years, maybe fired 10rds through it. It is boring. I built two Mausers, his and hers, in .243 with Richards Culbertson stocks, etc. Iron sights. I haven't even fired them yet. They are now 5yrs old.
Paper has me. Help, I am wrapping and I cannot stop!
I use a cigarette roller to wrap. I can turn my brain off and just crank them out. 200 in one nights sittting.
I am not done with load development yet. The range is too chaotic with the new events going on. Crunch and Tickers tossing brass everywhere. Yuppies reloading for the first time, yelling when they get an hang fire, or primer malfunction. Everyone has to stop for them.
One day, when the snowbirds go home, and the range chills out, I will be able to really concentrate like I want to. I still bet my paper is more accurate than jacketeds.
Thanks Beemer, good hearing from you.