PDA

View Full Version : PIC'S: Marbles Tang sight on Rossi 1892

Buckshot
02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
.............Someone awhile back was wanting pictures of a Marbles tang sight on a Rossi 1892 clone. In fact long enough ago they probably already found them :-) But in case not, I took some quick ones, so please forgive the quality.

http://www.fototime.com/C5172D22760ADBF/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/2C9E4B8FED00076/standard.jpg

Mainly at issue was if there was enough room for a thumb to wrap over the wrist. I suppose my hand is average size for a guy 5'11" tall, and there is. Depending upon how you grip the rifle the web of the thumb may touch, but the sight isn't going to eat it up.

http://www.fototime.com/083D1C3D27097A6/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/354DD4FE4E8AE63/standard.jpg

You can see the trigger position here to get an idea of the reach. Right photo has the bolt open so you can see that there is an easy 1/4" more of forward dispacement available. Of course you'd have to file (or re-drill) the front screw hole longer to utilize it.

.................Buckshot

sundog
02-24-2009, 12:07 AM
That was prolly me Buckshot. Thanks for pics. Not all the Win 94 are predrilled, as bantered around in the other thread on this subject. That's what prompted my original question. BUT, the Marbles appears to accommodate a good bit of slack in center to center screw span with that enlongated mounting hole for the rear screw.

So, the question begs. Are the Marbles really worth the money?

runfiverun
02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
after trying a copy i am thinking ...yes. iirc i got a newer lyman.
it was crap, lined up off center,not repeatable. flipped back upon firing.etc...
i am looking for the other type, the one that mounts on the frame now. you know the peep type.

Buckshot
02-24-2009, 02:23 AM
That was prolly me Buckshot. Thanks for pics. Not all the Win 94 are predrilled, as bantered around in the other thread on this subject. That's what prompted my original question. BUT, the Marbles appears to accommodate a good bit of slack in center to center screw span with that enlongated mounting hole for the rear screw.

So, the question begs. Are the Marbles really worth the money?

.............I'd say for a lever action and at lever action ranges, yes they are. However if you have to crank them all the way up to reach the target (longer ranges) then maybe not. It's a simple matter of mechanics as wound way up high they aren't as stable. Like any other apurture setup they're just as good as a 1x scope and way better then a semi-buckhorn out there ahead of the action.

The Marbles I got for my Uberti High Wall came with 2 different barrel lengths. With the regular barrel to reach the 200 meter animals it was cranked all the way up. The threaded shaft could move a bit, side to side. Using the longer barrel reaching 200 meters was no problem as the threaded shaft didn't have to extend so far, so it was MUCH better. Then again, to reach out to 400 you'd be back in the same boat as before, too much extension.

Neither the Marbles nor the Lyman was intended as a long range target sight, but as a means to extend the range beyond that of a barrel mounted buckhorn, and probably primarily for hunting. Used that way they certainly succeed.

...............Buckshot

Boz330
02-24-2009, 09:33 AM
The quality is there with the Marble's and it has windage adjustment which the Lyman doesn't. The Lyman is about half the price though.

Bob

sundog
02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Windage adjustment. Advantage - Marbles. Regardless of cost. Still thinking I might have to have one. My issue was the screws, and now that is a non-issue. Thanks again, Buckshot.

Pepe Ray
02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Sundog;
Forgive a nosey question?
Why have you ignored the much less expensive copy of the Marbles made by Taurus? Is it cause it's not U.S.A.? or because the screws accompanying it are not compatible w/your rifle? Or do you consider it inferior?
Pepe Ray

sundog
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Pepe Ray, good question! I did not know they made one. Ignorance and excuses have an effective range of zero meters, so it looks like I need to do some homework. Thanks for bringing it up.

timkelley
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Pepe Ray, have you tried or know any one who has tried that Taurus Sight? I would like to try one but have ruined my gun budget for a while.
There are a couple different part numbers of that type sight, which one will fit the 92/94?

Jon K
02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Sundog;
Forgive a nosey question?
Why have you ignored the much less expensive copy of the Marbles made by Taurus? Is it cause it's not U.S.A.? or because the screws accompanying it are not compatible w/your rifle? Or do you consider it inferior?
Pepe Ray

PR,

Is the quality and customer service better than their Thunderbolt?

I went to Taurus website, and cannot find sights.........do you have a link?
Does it have positive click adjustments elevation/windage?
Does it come with mounting screws?
Lifetime warranty?
Where do you get them & how much?

Jon

cajun shooter
02-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Sundog, I just mounted a Marbles tang site on my Puma 92. I bought it from Brownells and they also sell the screw kit for the Puma. The stock rear screw on mine was too short and it's a metric screw but the front screw is a 10-32. The screw kit was like 4.90 I think. The Marbles also sells the different height post for the longer ranges, it comes with the short post for close range and three different apertures. I had to cut the hammer spur on mine to allow the action to operate, no big deal. The rifle is a lot more fun to shoot now that I can see and adjust the site and it puts all shots in the x-ring.

Pepe Ray
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
First let's make it clear. Any tang sight is better than a middle, open sight. Right?
I like Lyman and I like Marbles but I love saving a buck!
I've compared photos closely. of the Taurus and the Marbles. The Taurus is a copy.
(Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.) I have 3, purchased a few years ago, soon after I became aware of them. They were introduced to go with the Taurus 22 rifles and were accompanied by screws to fit the 22RF's. that mattered not to me.
The sights are of a ferrous metal and some of the parts appear to be cast. They're finished nicely in a flat black and operate smoothly. I would liked a stronger spring in the post retainer but so far in use the post has remained erect until deliberately lowered.
I had to D/T to install and found screws at the rural hardware store. At the time the price was 1/3 of that of a Marbles.
As I have mine and not been shopping I cant attest to the info regarding part or item #'s. Also, if there were any warranties expressed I cared not.
Also I've found that the Merit adjustable aperture fits perfectly. I'm happy with mine.
If I've forgotten anything come on back.
Pepe Ray

Boomer Mikey
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
The Marbles tang sight is the best tang sight for my money... I have over a dozen of them installed on my leverguns. Another option for the Marbles tang sight is a Merit adjustable hunter aperature for changing light conditions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=873808

Merit #4 Hunting sight disc. Built to withstand extended use in the field, the aperture is adjustable from 0.022" to 0.125" and uses a strong internal spring to hold the selected sight setting constant during recoil. The size of the disc is meant to be compatible with many commonly used tang-mounted sights, and is intended to simply replace the existing fixed aperture.

This combination works great.

Have fun,

Boomer :Fire:

45nut
02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
http://www.taurususa.com/products/tangsight.cfm

helice
02-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Buckshot,
I too had a question about Tang Sights last month. I appreciate your remembering and your taking the time to post the pictures. Quality was good enough for me. My thanks.

Keep writin', I'm learnin'. Helice

Boerrancher
02-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I have noticed that Marbles makes the original and the improved the improved is half the price and I am trying to figure out why. If the improved works well I will buy it. I also looked at the Taurus copy. If I thought that it would work I would use it. I don't care what kind of sight I put on my Rossi's but it has to work and work well. Both are 45LC, and I load them really hot, so I don't need the sight folding down in between shots. These are not target guns but used to bust 'yotes and other critters.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

cajun shooter
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Joe, I can only speak about the Marbles as that's what I have. If you try to order the better model from Brownells, the one that comes with two post the site says dropped by company. The standard model is what I have. The longer post is available for more money. The Marbles has a ball bearing lock stop so that it stays in position. I think that sites are like the fram man in that you can pay me now or pay me later. I will not argue the point but when you invest time and money in the rifle and ammo why would you stop and put a lower quality site on it?When I worked in the gun store, I saw guys buy a nice rifle that cost hundred of dollars and then put a $39.95 Tasco scope on it. They would have been better off buying a cheaper rifle and putting a Leupold on it. If you can't hit the target then the rest is a pile of scrap.

Jon K
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Joe,

The "New Improved" is half the price, because the price is for the "Base Only"($59.99), then add $43-$54 each post(staff) +screws. Buy it w/posts short range-long range $172.46 (Brownell's pricing)

On the other hand, if you know which post you need, you can get the base and 1 post screws for less than buying a kit, or buying standard version.

Jon

Boerrancher
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I think I am just going to get the Marbles original sight that is made to fit the Rossi and be done with it. I will pay Midway their $120 + tax and be done with it. I will have to drill and tap the front hole in the tang but that is no big deal, been there, done that lots of times. I can even shorten the hammer spur if need be to keep it from hitting the sight post.

Both of my Rossi's shoot real well with the right ammo. I think the newest one may actually shoot better than my older one, so it will be the one that I put the sight on for starters, and zero it 2 inches high at 100 yards, just like the barrel sight is set on my other one. With that zero a 'yote is mine out to 150 yards easily.

Best wishes and thanks for all of the input,

Joe

NoDakJak
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I have installed the Taurus peep on the Taurus Model 63 and another on the Thunderbolt. No real complaints with either one other than they get in the way of my thumb. I have installed Lyman reciever mounted peeps on my lever guns and much prefer them. Neil

cajun shooter
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
It's not the sight post that interferes but the base itself. I cut about a 1/8 inch off mine and it worked fine. Mine is the pre-safety Navy and all Rossi's might not have this problem.

Gee_Wizz01
03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I have installed the Taurus peep on the Taurus Model 63 and another on the Thunderbolt. No real complaints with either one other than they get in the way of my thumb. I have installed Lyman reciever mounted peeps on my lever guns and much prefer them. Neil

NoDakJak how did the Taurus peep work out on the Thunderbolt? I was thinking about putting one on mine. Did you have to drill the tang or did the holes line up OK? Did the existing screws work or did you have to replace them? The sights that come on the Thunderbolt are terrible for my old eyes and I am looking for something better.

G

Farmall 1066
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Which Taurus sight model did you install on your Rossi? I must say I am intrigued by these!