PDA

View Full Version : Idea for making pointy bullets

happy7
02-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I have been playing around in my mind with the idea of trying to semi duplicate the highly successful commercial plastic tipped bullets. I am basically thinking of casting a hollowpoint bullet and then ordering a custom mold to cast gluelets in the shap to fit the hollowpoint hole and make a spitzer tip for the bullet which could be glued in, in the style of the earlier Lyman composit molds. Hope this explanation makes sense. Let me know what you think.

docone31
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I am not sure of the advantage. Castings do not fly that fast.
I am also not sure hollow points might just work better.

deltaenterprizes
02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
I still don't understand the purpose of a hollow point cast bullet. A bullet hard enough to be driven fast enough to expand will most probably shatter rather than expand unless it is a two part soft nose.

What am I missing?

theperfessor
02-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I could see the improved exterior ballistics of a sharp pointed bullet. With a proper shaped mold and a simple swaging die you could probably fold the bullet nose around a tip with a plastic stem. No glue needed.

Expansion versus shattering can be controlled by using proper alloy. (Brittle versus ductile alloys) I would think a soft alloy bullet w/a gas check could give good expansion at handgun velocities.

Might be worth trying, that's what makes life fun.

docone31
02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
From what I have read on hollow point aerodynamics, the hollow point is slightly more aerodynamic than spire points. Unless I am mistaken, the cavity actually produces a wave that has less resistance.
I might be all wet on this, I am pushing a paper patched .303 British, and .308 to 2500-2700fps with just a plain spire point. POI at 100yds.
I would also project, a slight flat point might be more effective than a spire point. I had the opportunity to try some flat point .30cals, paper patched. They were slightly heavier, and hit POI.
I only shoot paper, so I have no idea whatsoever on its effect on game. I run my castings real hard and they fragment on impact on the berm, or ReBar uprights. I have not recovered yet one intact except for the milsurp loads I have fired. They bend on impact.

Bret4207
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I have been playing around in my mind with the idea of trying to semi duplicate the highly successful commercial plastic tipped bullets. I am basically thinking of casting a hollowpoint bullet and then ordering a custom mold to cast gluelets in the shap to fit the hollowpoint hole and make a spitzer tip for the bullet which could be glued in, in the style of the earlier Lyman composit molds. Hope this explanation makes sense. Let me know what you think.

My question would be- Why bother? I have a friend who is highly enamored with these "Leverlution" type designs, I hear guys going on and on about their 30-30 being a 250 yard deer rifle now. IMO it's a sales gimmick and little more. If it floats yer boat fine, but I see no reason to bother with something that encourages "Hail Mary" shots at game.