PDA

View Full Version : EMF Levers

badgeredd
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Does anyone have one?

I've seen several on line and was wondering if they are decent rifles.

Thanks

Edd

square butte
02-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I just bought an EMF 92 trapper in .357. It went back for repair after 8 rounds. Too much head space. We'll see what happens when I get it back, and how long it takes to get it back remains to be seen. (They've had it for 3 weeks now) Nice lookin gun. Like the trapper configuration. I hope it works out.

badgeredd
02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I just bought an EMF 92 trapper in .357. It went back for repair after 8 rounds. Too much head space. We'll see what happens when I get it back, and how long it takes to get it back remains to be seen. (They've had it for 3 weeks now) Nice lookin gun. Like the trapper configuration. I hope it works out. Tom

Boy does that suck! So happens that I have been looking at the 92 clone in 357 myself.
Thanks

Edd

square butte
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Yep, it does kinda suck. Hope I end up with a good one in the end. Would love to have 92 trapper clones in 45 colt and 44 mag. At this point i'm not sure any one makes a really good one. I think EMF and Rossi could and should do a more correct profile of the receiver. As it is now, thiers kinda looks like a cross between a 94 and 92. Cimarron and some others do a correct profile, but no trapper version. Maybe i'm missing someones version. I'd like to see a few more opinions on the EMF and see how they do on my repair before I pass final judgement.

runfiverun
02-24-2009, 11:23 PM
for some time rossi was building all the parts and everyone else was buying them and assembling the parts.
they may have used different bbls.
but the rifle versions of all had smoother actions then the carbine versions.
the navy arms and lsi versions are definately rossi parts.

jlchucker
02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I've got a pre-safety 44 mag rifle. I wish they had offered that version in the short rifle or carbine. It's not bad, but that crescent buttplate KICKS. If they had not put that ACLU safety on them, I'd right now be thinking seriously about a 44-40 carbine or 357. These aren't bad guns.

cajun shooter
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
jlchucker, try putting a simple leather pad on. It works on mine and tames the recoil some. You can take the safety off and put a plug in it's place . Go to stevesgunz.com for the info and parts. Later David

fecmech
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know what the twist rate is on the current EMF .357 carbines. On the Legacy website they show a 1 in 30 twist for all calibers including the .357. I hope that's a misprint.

jlchucker
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
jlchucker, try putting a simple leather pad on. It works on mine and tames the recoil some. You can take the safety off and put a plug in it's place . Go to stevesgunz.com for the info and parts. Later David

My rifle is the PRE-safety version. Stevesgunz is surely where I'd buy another EMF 92 at some point, though. He's highly acclaimed on this and other sites. I've exchanged emails with him, and find him to be a great guy to deal with. As for the recoil problem with the curved rifle buttplate, my solution so far has to be to shoot with a slip-on pad, or to just wear something heavier than a t-shirt. I have a trapper model 94 in 44 mag (shotgun butt) and the 44 recoil is noticeably less. I see where EMF is now offering a trapper hunter version with a flat butt and recoil pad. Makes sense.

Boomer Mikey
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
All the EMF, LSI PUMA, and Navy Arms rifles are made by Rossi in Brasil. I have examples of each. A Navy Arms 357 short rifle, PUMA 357 Carbine and Rifle, PUMA 44 Magnum carbine and rifle, and EMF 1892 Hartford 45 Colt rifle. The Navy Arms short rifle is the best of the lot.

All of these are rough out of the box with oversize chambers, looong, throats and lousy sights. They require smithing to slick them up if you expect them to last. Wood to metal fit is disappointing... especially in the rifle's butt plate to stock. The less expensive carbines fit and finish is a little better than the rifle. My LSI PUMA 44 Magnum's bore's were oversize at 0.433" - 0.434". I purchased my 45 Colt from EMF hoping to get a better quality rifle than the LSI PUMA's and IMO they are the same but EMF seems to have better customer service.

All of them shoot accurately with no reliability issues. I have several thousand rounds through my 44's and 357's. I take the crecent but plates to my belt grinder to remove the "point" and re-shape the but plate for more comfortable shooting. I like the shorter length of pull in the carbines... get rid of the junk rear sight and install a Marble's half (semi) buckhorn sight with a large brass bead Marbles front sight on the carbine. Install a Marbles tang sight on the octagon rifles with the large brass bead front sight and add a Merit #4 adjustable hunting aperature in the Marble's tang sight for an excellent sighting package for all lighting conditions.

The 1892 action is much stronger than 1894 Winchester and Marlin actions and much smoother after a tune-up. Get Steeve's Guns DVD for tune-up info or send him your rifle for an action job but be prepaired to wait 6 months as he is usually busy.

Wait for Big5 sporting goods to put these on sale... they're well worth their cost.

Boomer :Fire:

Boomer Mikey
02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know what the twist rate is on the current EMF .357 carbines. On the Legacy website they show a 1 in 30 twist for all calibers including the .357. I hope that's a misprint.

My LSI PUMA M92's all shoot well with the 1:30 barrels.

Boomer :Fire:

badgeredd
02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys. Good info and it'll help me while shopping for a little lever. Glad to hear the 1:30 twist does work since that was a concern of mine too.

Edd

cajun shooter
02-26-2009, 09:22 AM
As stated before the Puma Navy models that are pre-safety came with American Walnut from Missourri and the fit of these rifles is very good. They also have the 1-30 twist and mine will shoot out the x-ring at 35 yds. I use it to shoot CAS. Boomer, I talk to Steve every couple of weeks and you are correct in the time frame of guns. He is at this time working on August 08 guns. But you can order parts and the dvd and have a chat with Steve with a phone call. I have sent several people to him and he will always take time to help someone out. That's part of the reason he is behind on his gun work. He's one nice guy.