PDA

View Full Version : Reducing alloy weight question.

the_ursus
02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
So I cast a bunch of bullets the other day that came out about 10 grains heavier than I wanted. I'm thinking of adding more tin to the blend to bring it down a bit. Would this be a good idea? Other ideas?

BTW I was casting 265's that were comming out at 275.

jdgabbard
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Depends on how much you want to add. To give you an idea as to my experiences with adding tin to bring the weight down. When I first got my Lee 158g TL-SWC mold I cast up some boolits. Afterwards I weighed them. They all cast at about 164 on the average. I added 0.5% tin to the mix and I got right at 160g with a few in the 161 and 159 range. Good enough for me.

Now that was my personal results. Yours may be different.

ChuckS1
02-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I had the same question when I started. I had a H&G 130 mold that was supposed to be throwing 185 grain boolits. With WW alloy, they always came out slightly over 200 grains and drove me nuts. Wasn't until later I realized that the 185 grains was for pure linotype boolits. In fact, I don't think I have a single mold that's dead on the rated weight using my WW alloys. Most, if not all, are slightly heavier by a few grains.

Don't worry so much about the exact weight. Instead, make sure that the boolits are consistent. If they shoot well but are a little overweight, who cares?

runfiverun
02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
whats up with everybody weighing their boolits lately?
i just work up a load for the nice looking grey well filled out consistently poured and sized boolits then shoot them till they are gone.