PDA

View Full Version : tumble lube

shickf3
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
can you run tumble lube bullets through a size and lube or do you have to tumble lube them

Paladin 56
02-23-2009, 07:39 PM
shickf3,

Welcome to the board.

You can run them through a size and lube die, but you may not get lube in all the grooves (unless you use a Star sizer and have a die with lube holes in the right places). Seems I may have done it in the past but just don't remember.

I believe Tumble Lube bullets are made to do just that, tumble lube and load. Makes it less expensive since you don't have to purchase a lube/sizer.

shickf3
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
so I'm better off buying standard dies?

mikenbarb
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Another way you can lube them is to get a Lee alox pan lube kit and a Lee push thru sizing kit. Just stand the boolits up in the pan and pour the molten alox around them. When the lube hardens cut em loose and push them thru the die. It works pretty good and I lube a couple sizes that way but its a sloooow process.

Fish_N_Russ
02-24-2009, 06:21 AM
I tried this with a TL 357 bullet, most of the lube grooves held very little lube after sizing......so I would agree with using the tumble method to work best.

Ron B.
02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Hello Shick!
I've got a Lee mold or two which produce their tumble lube style bullets. I actually prefer making them take a trip through my Saeco Luber/Sizer. Using my Lyman heater, I heat my lube machine to make the task a little easier. I haven't had any problems with the resulting bullet. IMO, my cheap Lee Molds really do compete very well with my much more expensive molds. And, you know what's funny? The center of my targets can't tell any difference. I would never shoot any bullet, no matter the hype without resizing. :)

Good luck to you,
GRB