PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pattern powder, first go around

15meter
07-09-2024, 07:13 PM
Picked up an 8 pounder about 6 weeks ago. Almost had buyers remorse for buying an eight pound keg of powder that I had never used before, so went and bought a single pound. Figured I'd try the small can first, if I really, really didn't like the powder, a factory sealed keg is easier to move down the road.

Set up the MEC 9000, figured out the correct bushing for the recommended 14 grains. Standard AA wad is too short, left a caved in case, Winchester gray wad was too long, had to seal a couple of cases with the handy dandy red candle that is kept on the bench just for such emergencies.

The Winchester SL wad gave an almost perfect crimp.

Started with a full pound, 7000/14=500 if my math is correct, a fresh bag of 500 wads. When I was done with the powder I had 3 wads left. Taking into account the one AA wad and two gray wads, that is about as perfect metering as you can get.

Was a little concerned about a powder that is rumored to be faster than Bullseye, last time I loaded Bullseye in shotgun shells, I swore I'd never do THAT again.(Yes, there are listed 12 gauge loads).

Shot a line of sporting clays this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised, all went BANG and broke targets nicely.

And did not beat me up, actually the recoil was rather mild.

Guess I need to pickup another jug of two.

Barry54
07-09-2024, 08:01 PM
I got an 8 pound keg too. Was looking at the Hodgdon reloading data center for recipes and saw discontinued off to the right...

15meter
07-09-2024, 09:06 PM
I got an 8 pound keg too. Was looking at the Hodgdon reloading data center for recipes and saw discontinued off to the right...

Just went to the Hogdon site, shows it as available, couldn't find any reference to discontinued.

Curious where you saw that posted.

Barry54
07-09-2024, 09:22 PM
I wish I had taken a screenshot. It says Buy Now where it said discontinued a couple of days ago...

Rick R
07-13-2024, 09:26 AM
I’m on my second 8# jug of Perfect Pattern. I’m using a 1 oz load of #8 in a 7/8 oz Claybuster wad over 15ish grains of PP in AA hulls. Low recoil compared to factory 1 1/8 oz loads but it still works 100% in my two semiauto guns. Meters well, shoots clean, breaks targets at way out there ranges,
I just wish I could still buy it for $190 per jug.