PDA

View Full Version : Range Time For Colt PP/38 S&W, et al

9.3X62AL
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
The Fates Of Range Use and the weather gods found the same sheet of music to play from, and I was able to get a little sideiron trigger time on Saturday. Marie wanted to head out to some rockhound location lacking ZIP Code registry between Barstow and Las Vegas, so I did the driving and navigating while she napped enroute. Once arrived, she scrambled off in one direction in search of agates or some such thing, while I pointed myself in the opposite direction and dragged out the war toys.

First project was the SIG Mosquito, a 22 LR initial abomination that has more recently begun to civilize itself. Still dirty from its last range trip (100 rounds of Mini-Mag Steak & Lobster Ammo), I intentionally left it uncleaned for today's test drive. I'm happy (and surprised) to report that another 100 consecutive rounds of the MMS&LA went through The Bug with neither let nor hindrance. It will stay dirty for next week's range trip, and remain so until reliability stutters again. Considering the pistol's past balkiness, this borders on an epiphany. In view of the irritating nature of the pistol's early performance, the sobriquet "Mosquito" was ironically apt nomenclature.

Now for the good part. The little Police Positive x 4" in 38 S&W made the trip too, and I was excited about giving it some attention. I had 50 rounds each of two loads, both toward the upper end of the 38 S&W performance envelope--Lyman #358242 (122 grain RN) atop 3.3 grains of Unique, and Lyman #358429 (163 grain Keith SWC) seated over 3.0 grain of Unique. All were sized @ .359" to match the throats, and were a good fit in the chambers--snug, but loaded cartridges fell free easily when the muzzle was turned up with cylinder flipped open.

I installed a Tyler T-Grip on this revolver to give me something to grab ahold of while firing. The factory hard rubber stocks were kinda dinky for me. Both loads bounced the PP around some, more so than did the Detective Special with standard-strength 38 Specials. The DS with its wooden Agent grips + T-Grip worked very well for me, but I can't say as much for the PP in its present garb. As for grips, time for Plan "B".

Both loads might be a little much for the little roller. Extraction was a mite sticky, about like a 22 LR D/A revo gets after 50-60 rounds. Data was well within published limits, in fact about 15% under max listings. But the Colt is a tightly-dimensioned little platform, something the test guns from the data might not have been. I'll back things down further next time through.

Accuracy was EXCELLENT with both loads. At 25 yards, I kept a dinger plate bouncing easily, and both loads shot close to the sights--a tiny bit low, but very close. Zero leading in throats or bore was noted.

There is much to like about this little roller. It seems to be accurate enough for small game hunting at any reasonable range a caliber of this intensity is appropriate for. My anticipated boolit for this revolver (#358477) at 650-700 FPS will serve well pending an accuracy check, and the two boolits tested would be excellent if accuracy holds at lowered velocities. All in all, this seems like a pretty decent trail sidearm--a Kit Gun With Attitude.

dubber123
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Glad the little Colt seems to want to play nice. I have a S&W flat latch I need to drag back out now that I have a mould to fit the generous throats. Accuracy with .358" slugs was indifferent at best.

DanWalker
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice to hear the new toys are working well.
I may have to sneak off to a remote firing location tomorrow to air out some hoglegs.
My blackhawk has been silent for far too long lately while I've been sidetracked by this evil JEEP.

Buckshot
02-24-2009, 03:26 AM
...............Al, I'm really glad to hear the little Colt dd well. I was going to PM and find out if you'd shot it yet, so good timing. All that aside, the Colt was just to cute and too tight to NOT have done well! I guess you can use those Lyman 35863's in your V model. I shoot'em just like they are.

Rick

Tom Herman
02-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Glad your trip went well! let me know if you and Marie ever get to SW WA state.. I know a lot of good places for Agate. My first trip of the year yielded 75 pounds of mixed Agates, petrified Wood, Jasper, and the famous Salmon Creek Coprolites.
Last weekend I went on a horrendous death march into Lucas Creek... At least we all survived. One guy lost his finger tip when a rock rolled.
Next weekend is a trip to a much more friendly location. We may actually be able to drive to withing a quarter mile of it instead of a six mile round trip hike in impossible (and impassible!) conditions.
My Ruger Redhawk 7-1/2" in .45 LC goes with me on the trips. I've got a nice shootin' spot near one location. I can reach out a couple hundred yards if I want to.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

9.3X62AL
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Tom--

Oh, yeah--Marie would hike every mile of it, and grin-happy for the chance to do so. She's nuts.

Rick--

I sorta thought the little roller would do all right. The only bugbear remains recoil recovery, which sounds a little strange considering its caliber--38 S&W. Before taking tools to a set of Pachmayr neoprenes I have laying around, I'll assemble some factory-level loads to gauge its level of jumping around in the hands. Those dinky grips in my big ol' paws just don't get along--and from this tendency you can derive the reason why J-frame S&Ws are short-lived in my gun safe, while K/L/N frames tend to stay.

Tom Herman
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Rick,

I thought the guys were nuts when we were 2-1/2 miles in, and they were talking about going to between 4 & 5 miles where the "good stuff" was!
My knees just can't take that... I did good to get that approximate six mile round trip in.
Saturday is the trip to Green Mountain in Kalama: It's normally a two mile hike behind a closed gate, but one of the members has a key, and we have permission to drive right up to the site.
Hopefully, that will leave me in better shape than the other day.
I actually found a spot where the Agates are still stuck in the rotting lava: It's a hoot to pull them out! They are all rough, like picking up sea urchins...
So many things to do, so little time...

Happuy Shootin'! -Tom