PDA

View Full Version : Fire lapping

Hardatwork
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I have a Taurus PT 945 45ACP that is new. I have terrible Leading problems with it. I was wondered if anyone has done any Fire lapping and if so what was your outcome.
Thanks

dubber123
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I have firelapped 2, and have 1 to do this week. I have been VERY pleased with the outcome. Before you do though, have you slugged your bore? What alloy and velocity are you shooting? What lube? Welcome to the forum by the way!

Bret4207
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, you need to make sure you NEED to lap before taking that step. Dubber has asked the right questions.

02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I love to firelap troublesome rifles, but I would check out the relationship of the charge holes to the barrel. Mismatch between the cylinder and barrel are most likely the source of your troubles. There may be many, but that is where I would look first.

dubber123
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I love to firelap troublesome rifles, but I would check out the relationship of the charge holes to the barrel. Mismatch between the cylinder and barrel are most likely the source of your troubles. There may be many, but that is where I would look first.

The 945 is an autoloader I believe. :-D

Hardatwork
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi Thank you for the Welcome I am using Nearly Lyman # 2 . - 2 pounds Linotype + 5 pounds Wheel weights Water quenched about 22 BHN. Lyman 4-Cavity Bullet Mold #452374 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 225 Grain Round Nose lubed with White Label Carnauba Red Cast Bullet Lube sized to 452 with a RCBS lube a matic I have not slugged the barrel I just thought that I would be OK at .452 I am using 6.3 Gr. of Unique. It is cold and I did not not chronograph them. I think they would be around low 800 FPS It took forever to get the lead out of the barrel . Yes the 945 is a auto.
Thanks

dubber123
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Unless the barrel is significantly shorter than 5", you are likely over 900 fps. In a 5" barrel, 5 grains of Unique will get you around 800 fps. I would suggest a slugging, just to be sure. You are likely OK though.

I would skip the Linotype, and also skip the water dropping. A softer boolit will likely lead less, as hard as it may be to believe. I shoot a RN cast from air cooled WW's, around 850 fps. I went almost 4,000 rounds a few months back, with NO barrel leading. The chamber finally got gunked up and neccesitated a cleaning. Let us know how you make out.

Hardatwork
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks I will try that. I will get back with outcome. I will have to weight till my Taurus comes back from repair.should be about 2 more weeks.
Thanks

cbrick
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Hardatwork :drinks:

I think dubber nailed it, forget the lino and for sure skip the quenching. 22 BHN is right up there with higher velocity rifle loads well out of the realm of 45 ACP pressures and velocity. Use straight WW air cooled and size .001" larger at about .453". WW is 11-12 BHN and even this could be too hard for light 45 ACP loads. I shoot 6 BHN HP's sized .002" over groove diameter in my 1911 45 ACP at 850 fps with no leading just to give you an idea.

Too hard is the second leading cause of leading, the first is too small a bullet and it kinda sounds like you have both.

You might also try a softer lube, I've never been much of a fan of harder lubes, gotta get them to melt them to do their job and you did say it's cold where your shooting.

Slugging the bore would be wise, if you do be sure to use a "soft" slug in a clean oiled bore and then size your bullets at least .001" over measured groove diameter.

Rick