PDA

View Full Version : Help with identification.

BT Sniper
02-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Picked up a couple coffee cans full of a dirt colored ash mixed with small pieces of melted lead of some sort. Defination I was given was that it was used to force up the contents of what ever was beeing melted or retrieved from a multent state. Sorry for the poor details as this is second hand.

Was able to melt and seperate lead from ash. Ash turned alittle guey when heat was applied for along period of time. This lead, or what ever it is, is pretty hard. Makes a pinging noise when dropped on concrete floor. Melted it down a couple years ago before I got into casting. How would I identify it now? Anyone ever incounter such a thing? Ideas?

Thanks guys,

454PB
02-23-2009, 02:28 PM
"multent state"....did you mean molten state? It sounds like it may be the dross from some molten alloy.

BT Sniper
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
yah. my spellin sucks. I'll look into "dross" thanks. How would I test the alloy to figure out what it is.

docone31
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Put it all in a cast iron pot. Crank up the heat. Sprinkle some Kitty litter on the melt if there is any. Stir, and flux, stir and flux. After seperating the melt, then make the tests.
As long as there is molten metal, more dross will enter it and metal will drop. The Kitty litter will eventualy almost go into dust form and be easy to remove.

BT Sniper
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Have allready seperated the lead into ingots. Just don't know what kind of alloy I have come up with. It seams as heavy as lead just harder.

Docone31 are you saying to melt it down again or was this the technique that works best to seperate the lead from the dross in the first place.

Still trying to figure out what I have. Thanks guys.

runfiverun
02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
put some muratic acid on it. if it bubbles it is zinc.
you might just have some dross from someones pot it should be high tin and antimony unless they could flux properly.

Bill*
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
sorry, please ignore