PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help or advice for wad and overshot card for 45 LC.

tayous1
06-17-2024, 12:10 AM
I'm looking to load some snake shoot for my 45 LC I used the last of the Speer capsules I had and was looking for away to roll my own a lot cheaper.

Anyway not trying to reinvent the wheel here I know other have done this out there with this caliber. I'm looking for advice on the best way to make the overshot cards and wads? No material wise what the best way to cut it the size you need it?

It was easy with making the 12 ga cards and wads I just found a 3/4 inch hole punch that you could do by hand it was easy. FYI aluminum does work for overshot cards.

steve urquell
06-17-2024, 08:26 AM
I drilled the primer hole out of a .45 case out so I could punch my wads out of the case, chucked it in my drillpress and turned it on, laid a file on the mouth and sharpened it. Drilled my wads out with a rubber backer so it wouldn't roll the sharp edge in.

If you don't have a big drillpress you could put a machine screw inside the case sticking out the drilled out primer hole and put a nut on it against the case head for use as a drillstem.

YoungGun88
06-23-2024, 03:20 PM
Try compressed cardboard sealed with some hot glue. Ram board or even 4-5 layers of manila file folder glued together will be nice and stiff. Apply some acrylic clear coat to help increase water/moisture resistance if needed, allow to cure of course, sunshine/summertime is best time for such things!
Your post piqued my own interest, and it appears a 7/16" hole punch nearly works perfect for 45 Colt cardboard wads. See photo below as an example. This was ram board. Use a cheap cutting board, block of wood or piece of dead soft lead as a cutting pad. Or chuck hole punch in a drill press and drill them out.

https://i.ibb.co/5ssD6sr/45-Colt-Shot-Cards-web.jpg

Adam Helmer
06-23-2024, 04:26 PM
I just use Gas Checks in my cartridges. I put in the powder, gas check cup up, the shot and another gas check cup down and slightly roll crimp. I do the same with .44 Mag, .44 Specials, .357 and .38 Special snake loads. I hope this helps.

Adam

Mk42gunner
06-23-2024, 09:43 PM
A Harbor Freight Hollow Pin punch set cost about $10 a few years ago, maybe more now. I use the 7/16" punch to cut wads out of soda 12 pack boxes. Playing cards work too.

If the 7/16 isn't quite large enough it is a cheap easily modified tool.

Robert

rfesk
06-24-2024, 07:47 AM
My favorite over-shot card is cut from plastic covered paper from milk cartons made of paper. Once the card is slightly crimped in place over the shot I put a little Elmers glue around the edge to further seal it. The combination is almost water proof.

Texas by God
06-26-2024, 10:29 AM
After punching my own card wads from shotgun shell or .22 shell thin cardboard boxes; I’ll never buy Speer shot capsules again. I do have the gelatin capsules to play with in .38 Special, though.
I won’t waste copper gas checks on shot loads either.
Small shot works best- a normal handgun shot load will never equal a normal or 3” 410 shell so there’s no point in using larger shot sizes(in my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

challenger_i
06-26-2024, 11:51 AM
#12 shot makes for a dense shot pattern at 10-12ft out of the 45 Colt. Makes hamburger out of Mr. No-Shoulders.
Also does an excellent job of potting pigeons at 30-40ft.
454 Casull cases with a roll crimp make very nice 45 C shot shells. Holds mor shot than the Speer capsule, as well.

trapper9260
06-27-2024, 04:24 AM
I use cracker boxes the ones that is thick and I had got a Snap On gasket hole punch set and all that is there works for me in shotgun and for this need . And if you need a 1/16" or 1/8" cork spacer in any . I get a sheet from a farm fleet store that they use to make gaskets with. I let a friend use my to load for 12 ga shotgun needed a spacer and out of a sheet he got about 1000 spacers. As for need for over the powder cards , in 38 spl /357 or 44 mag and 327 , 32 H&R , I put 2 of the cracker cards over the powder one at a time and use a wooden dowel the size that fit the best in the case to press the cards over the powder and then , glue 1 card over the shot. It works for me . I have try one card over the powder and there was not enough pressure to make it work the way I wanted then after I put 2 cards it took care of the problem .