PDA

View Full Version : Wax in the cavities ??

Jack Stanley
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Accidently got a little plate lube in the cavities of a iron mold , wiped out as much as I could with a Q-tip . Unfortunately , the lead thinks it's still there . What do you use to get the last sniff of the stuff out of the cavity ?

Jack

cast405
02-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Try brake cleaner to remove it,I use long term assembly lube its a dry moly base spray to lube all my moulds (dow corning 321 dry film lubricant)good to 840f just cast a boolit leave in nice hot mould and spray down entire block and spru plate drys to a hard film never need to lube spru plate again.

Bullshop
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
You can clean it with a q-tip and acitone while your casting. Hardly even have to skip a beat.

Jack Stanley
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks , I quit trying to get it right and shut things down for the night . Tomorrow I'll get the acetone out and try it out .

Jack

Shiloh
02-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks , I quit trying to get it right and shut things down for the night . Tomorrow I'll get the acetone out and try it out .

Jack

Tomorrow you'll be casting good boolits. Been there, Done that. Many here have.

Shiloh

Jack Stanley
02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Tomorrow you'll be casting good boolits. Been there, Done that. Many here have.

Shiloh

You were right . I put the blocks in an old bread pan and sloshed some acetone on the and went after them with a toothbrush and Q-tips . After reassembling the blocks and adjusting the plate . I cast a few just to warm the blocks and then smoked them with a wood match . They were much better but acted like a little wax was still there , I thought it might have been the soot from the match . It did start working right as I got to casting faster , after about forty cast you would have never known the fits it gave me the night before .

Jack