PDA

View Full Version : Colt DA revolver timing

trickyasafox
02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
So I've been shooting my official police, and I'm starting to worry the DA is close to being out of time.

The hammer is being released as the cylinder is locking up for all six cylinders- I was under the impression that the final lock up should happen before the break. Are colt DAs different, or am I just misinformed in general? I'm going to shoot the gun SA until I figure out if this is a 'me being paranoid thing' or if this is me helping to extend the life of my official police.

thoughts?

JMax
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Colts are a bit different in that they need the trigger pulle3d t0o the rear. They are very different beasties that your other revolvers. In general all others work off hand width where Colts use length.

GP100man
02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
tricky
is the hand worn or the notches on the cyl worn , these are the main places to watch.
colt times it close so the trigger feel won`t be jerky .
if it ain`t spittin shoot it.

GP100man:cbpour:

trickyasafox
02-22-2009, 11:27 PM
The notches look good- As for the hand, it looks fine but only because I see no obvious wear. I'm not sure I would know a worn hand if I saw one.

its not spitting though- so I think its ok. I just didn't know if they timed them like this or if that meant I was running on the edge of falling out of time.

thanks for the help!

218bee
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I've got a 32 New Police that has a similar problem in single action where on two cylinders when hammer is cocked I can rotate ever so slight and then bolt locks in place. In double action, all cylnders lock tight. I believe the hammer goes back further in double action. If I cock single action back until it clicks/locks I can then pull hammer back slightly further and its enough to click bolt into notch. I need to lenghten hand a bit if possible I don't think I can do much with notches on rear of cylinder

missionary5155
02-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Good morning
A simple "For Sure" test for cylinder spit.... staple / tape a sheet of paper to a post (must not harm a tree) and fire the revolver with the barrel gap about 6- 8" from the paper.. any lead will fly that far and cut interesting slices in the paper. I tried closer distances and sometimes the paper got nice "Blast" holes through it with 357.
God bless you.

anachronism
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Colt revolvers are friggin' wierd about timing. Call Cylinder & Slide & ask them. They would know,

trickyasafox
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
thank you everyone! I'll try the paper test first- then follow up with cylinder and slide if I'm still scratching my head.

Dale53
02-26-2009, 03:16 PM
The Colt's that I am familiar with have two "steps" on the hand. The second "step" comes into play when you pull the trigger in single action and on the last bit of movement double action. Final locking does not occur until the hammer is released. It is arguably a better arangement than Smith (so the Colt fanciers claim). However, I MUCH prefer the smoother action of "out of the box" Smith's compared to Colts.

However, I have seen a few Pythons after they were worked on by the various Colt "Wizards" that were beyond criticism.

Dale53 (a Smith fan).

9.3X62AL
02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Heretic!

:)

Dale53
02-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey! What can I say? I was bit by the S&W magic when I was but a lad (and THAT was a LONG time ago!:mrgreen:

Dale53

Dan Cash
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
The Colt's that I am familiar with have two "steps" on the hand. The second "step" comes into play when you pull the trigger in single action and on the last bit of movement double action. Final locking does not occur until the hammer is released. It is arguably a better arangement than Smith (so the Colt fanciers claim). However, I MUCH prefer the smoother action of "out of the box" Smith's compared to Colts.

However, I have seen a few Pythons after they were worked on by the various Colt "Wizards" that were beyond criticism.

Dale53 (a Smith fan).

+1 on Dale's comment. The hand on a Colt bears against the rachet during firing. Some of them left the factory not indexing completly to lock until the trigger was pulled. May worry a guy but the cylinder will index and lock before the hammer strikes. If the gun is out of time, you will surely notice the problem during firing. If you don't, the shooter along side of you will let you know.