PDA

View Full Version : 32 case trimmer

jballs918
01-28-2006, 02:13 AM
ok guys sorry so many questions about my 32 just hard to find info on it. i was just wondering if you can use a 30-30 case trimmer for the cases or not

as always thanks

Buckshot
01-28-2006, 04:58 AM
ok guys sorry so many questions about my 32 just hard to find info on it. i was just wondering if you can use a 30-30 case trimmer for the cases or not

as always thanks

..............Well I suppose it would depend on whose case trimmer, but I'd bet 95% would require the right diamter guide, or spud for the caseneck. I know my RCBS trimmer would.

.................Buckshot

versifier
01-28-2006, 03:40 PM
What kind of trimmer do you have? Both my Lyman & RCBS require different specific pilots to center the case necks. With the Lee system, the case length gauge is also the pilot - .30-30 & .32spec are both the same length, but they are of different diameters.

StarMetal
01-28-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a forester that I've had since 1970 and it's served me well. I just bought a new cutter shaft for it as I pretty much wore the old one out. I make pilots on my lathe, but before that I made them on my drill press.

Joe

woody1
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
If you happen to have a Wilson Case Trimmer, the case holder for the 32 Spec. and 30-30 are the same.

jballs918
01-28-2006, 06:13 PM
ok i was looking for a cheap lee case trimmer but they dont make. and the ones with the pilots i have no idea how they work. becuase im resizing 30-30 into 32 ws if that helps any.

MTWeatherman
01-28-2006, 07:11 PM
I use a Forster and it, like the others, requires the correct pilot for trimming.

Since I've had the Forster for years, I've never used the Lee. However, many seem to prefer the Lee over the more expensive designs....including those who have both.

As versifier has already point out, since the case lengths are close enough to be considered the same, the issue is mainly one of pilot size. If you don't want to make the investment in a more expensive trimmer, it does strike me that it might be possible to cut the neck off of a .30-30 case, put it over the Lee pilot and build the size of the .30-30 Lee cutter pilot up enough with it to make it work well enough for the .32. However, since I don't know exactly how the cutter is designed...it's just a theory. Maybe someone who uses the Lee can address the issue for you.

Frank46
01-29-2006, 01:25 AM
I have used the lee case trimmers for quite a long time. As long as they have them in the caliber you want they can't be beat. I also on occasion use the foster and when doing some other cases I use the wilson. Get the case holder with the spud for cordless drills. Works great and saves wear and tear on your fingers. i use one of those black and decker screwdrivers and it goes fast when you have a bunch of cases to do. Frank

woody1
01-29-2006, 01:25 AM
As versifier has already point out, since the case lengths are close enough to be considered the same, the issue is mainly one of pilot size. If you don't want to make the investment in a more expensive trimmer, it does strike me that it might be possible to cut the neck off of a .30-30 case, put it over the Lee pilot and build the size of the .30-30 Lee cutter pilot up enough with it to make it work well enough for the .32. However, since I don't know exactly how the cutter is designed...it's just a theory. Maybe someone who uses the Lee can address the issue for you.
Nope. Too big, but......you can Beagle it. Shim that Lee thingamacallit with Beagle Tape* and it'll work like a charm.
*The stuff I have is tesa Aluminum Foil Tape. A couple of wraps should do it. Regards, Woody

jballs918
02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
hey guys i did some more research on this and the 30-30 case lengh and the 32 ws are only .001 off. could i just buy the case trimmer for the 30-30 for the lengh and then just buy one that is bigger then the 32ws in a common size and use that. just wondering if anyone has tried this before or im i way off