PDA

View Full Version : Gun show in loosiana

Frank46
01-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Well there is another show near new orleans saturday. Last one wasn't too bad as shows go. Hope this one's better. Will let you know later. Frank

Frank46
01-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Well sorry to say didn't make it to the show. truck problems. Better luck next time. And almost darn near got creamed by some jerk driving on the wrong side of the road. Frank

walltube
02-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Frank46,

Happy to read the jerk missed you.

If you're reffering to the Ponchartrain Center show in Kenner, you haven't missed much IMO. After too much encouragement from,Janie, six $$ got me in the door Sun. afternoon. Other than some good conversation with two range officers from the Honey Island Pearl River Shooting Range booth all else was a bore. Same old-same old with more fantasy type knife and sword stuff. Three gadzillion black nylon holsters & "assault weapon" cases, clip-on sunglasses for every occasion and frame shape, on & on!.

No moulds! Not even a hint of lead boolit stuff. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Bought some primers & .44 Mag brass to justify two swollen arthritic knees and the trip from Gretna. :smile:

Y.T., Walltube

Frank46
02-01-2006, 01:53 AM
walltube, yep thats the one. Hey you forgot the gel candles. The quality of shows here has gone down the tubes over the past few years. Same old stuff. I am very greatful that the jerk missed me also. Had no where to go so just stood on the brakes. Darn career drunks.
I hear you about the knees. I have osteoarthritus and after walking a short time one of them scooters starts to look mighty tempting. I had hoped to get some 8mm brass for my stash and some powder. One of these days I'd like to hit the tulsa oklahoma show. 11 acres of guns. But will definitely rent a scooter. Thanks for the scoop. Frank

walltube
02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Frank,

You are welcome and you are right on with the decline in gun show content and quality here in SE Loosieanna. Since when have costume jewelry and tattoo parlour gift certificates become gun show items? On the other hand, there apparently was a market for this crap judging by some of the attendees. [smilie=f:

I sometimes just wanna scream!

WT

LostCajun
02-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Walltube,
Reading your review makes me glad I decided it wasn't worth it to fight the traffic. Can't really justify buying gun stuff right now anyway, so I would have just been torturing myself for no good reason. Went to one last year in Kenner, your description fits.
By the way... Talked to your son-in-law a while back. Turns out we're a few houses apart. First tip-off was the 2 marked cars parked at the house. Makes SWMBO feel nice and safe.
There aren't many things I miss about Florida, but Gun Shows is one of them. Sometimes there'd be a gun show and computer show on the same weekend, AT THE SAME PLACE. Those were expensive weekends, but being single, I didn't have to care. Range selection was good, too; at least on the East coast. Not here, especially now.
Ah well, maybe Slidell will be better. Might have another mouth in the house by then, so scratch that one, too. Definitely by the next Kenner show. Gotta stop thinking about gun shows... too much work to do on the house.
Take care,
LostCajun

walltube
02-03-2006, 12:31 AM
L-C,

Good hearing from you.

Yeah buddy, gun shows in S.E. LA have become less and less "gun" and more a trinket\gadget affair. Or so it seems to me. Component & reload vendors are mostly the same folks seen at every other 'show' featuring all the same wares for all the same price.

Out of state sellers demand prices for stuff that are less costly thru S'Gun News. They must think we're all FEMA rich. :>D

There are now two less ranges I know for sure that are no longer in operation. The Arabi indoor pistol facilty was destroyed by wind & water. St. Bernard R&P Range has met a similar fate I'm told, but no real confirmation to my satisfaction. Gretna Gun Works is closing its' doors after 50 yrs; a very good 75' pistol range will go with it. Sigh!

No wonder you miss Florida.

My daughter and son-in-law told me of meeting you & your Dearly Beloved. I'll relate the story when we finally do that "cuppa". If you are so inclined, send to me a personal message when you have time to entertain a somewhat functional geezer.

Best To You Till Then,

Harold

Frank46
02-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Walltube, if you bought stuff to reload you probably got it from waggespak reloading supply.Mark is a good guy to buy from. There used to be another dealer from alabama with cheaper prices but haven't seen him for some time. The kenner show used to be a good show, but as you mention fantasy swords, tee shirts, gel candles, and of course beef jerky vendors don't quite make it. And you seen the same over priced junk for sale. And mil surps are a hit and miss proposition. You may see some nice ones at a show then go for months without seeing any decent ones. I wanted one of the yugo M-48's the egyptian model. Me and my buddy haunted the shows for months before I finally got an unissued one. First time I ever got a brand new 50 year old mauser. was worth it though. The last show at lamar-Dixon was only so so. But the parking lot was jammed with vehicles. The houston gun show is usually great, but the walking kills me. But you see just about anything you could think of, even class three toys. I like gun related books so when we went to houston I'd take a backpack and there would always be three or four dealers selling books. You buy your bulk brass by the pound. Always saw rifle actions, used and take off barrels there. Here if you see one bbl its usually crap and not worth folling around with. As far as casting stuff forget about it. In fact, I only know two other guys besides myself that cast their own.
Sorry for the rant. Frank

walltube
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Frank,

Yep, Waggespack it was. The 1m Federal primer price of $17.00 was good, the 50 .44 Mag brass price was better than average. Another dealer's prices were very close but still higher than I wanted to pay. Besides, I consider Mark Waggespack a local dealer as he is located in Gonzalez. Given the loss of so many small dealers in S.E. La. due to K*****a, the trip from Gretna to Gonzalez is no real biggie.

Mil-surps in Kenner? Saw many that were probably a deal for someone other than me. $275.00 for a well worn MAS 36 or a $290.00 price tag hanging from a Hungarian M95 with way too much pitting, nah. Must be the current scrap metals market driving prices up :lol: Saw one decent No.4 Mk. II SMLE worth its' $195.00 asking price, but I just can't handle another gun to feed & clothe until I get a real home.

It would do me well to get to Houston's show, I need the emotional therapy. As you have so well stated, large shows that are worth driving to in another State (Tex. or Okla.) require a whole lotta walking and that means physical therapy. :) Sounds like you know sore knees too, Frank. Arthritis sucks! Think we can qualify for one of those MediCare go-carts? Ya know, the kind with a Class III hitch so we can haul all our stuff to the parking lot?

Frank, I didn't see one 'ranty' word in your post; just some honest opinion and obvservation. Real rants have vanished here since the banishment of S*X, R*ligi*n and P*lit*cs as subject matter. Ahh, the good old days. :rolleyes:

How much driving time for me to\from Gretna? Maybe we can meet up for a cuppa whatever and brag about our "one hole" groups. [smilie=l: I need to get out more often.

Yours Truly,

walltube

Frank46
02-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Walltube, yep the knees have it. If I ever get a chance to go to oklahoma i'm gonna beg, borrow, or rent one of those battery powered knee savers. i already have the wheel chair plates on my rodeo. And last year tore up my right knee bad enough to have it operated on, but have the case of chickenitius regarding the operation. i like the idea of the class three hitch for the go cart. When we went to houston for the first time a lot of guys had backpacks. Being a newbie at that show it did'nt make sense. I normally carry one of those pilots helmet bags. Well after about an hour or three of scarfing up some goodies the backpack was starting to make LOADS of sense. Those books, brass, and martini stocks got real heavy real quick. Next time we went I had a backpack. I saw one M95 that had a tag of $139.00 but the lights were turned down so low could not see how good or bad the barrel was. I think they turn down the lights for that reason. Bore light is now standard equipment. Frank

walltube
02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Frank,

Shotgun News says there is a gun & knife show in Slidell the weekend of Feb. 18 & 19 at Northshore Harbor Center, Exit 261, I-10. I'll take a drive out there to scope the place out after visiting Chalmette today. Gonna cost you $7.00 to get in the door. Sheesh, I hope the dollar increase over Kenner's show means less jerky and more real stuff. I can dream can't I? :)

Wow, sorry to hear of your knee injury. Is that what got you the handicap tag?

My fisrt real use of an electric go-kart was during my first and I'll guarantee you my last visit to Disney's World Famous Rodent World in Orlando. The 'scooters' there would be too wide to navigate between the aisles of a gun show. Maybe one of those nifty metallic red & cream colored electric 3 wheelers complete with chrome wire basket on display at Pep Boys would be the ticket.

I may need to retract the "no more guns" statement in my last post. If I can't find enough stuff to replace some of the reloading tools lost to K*****a another gun will help me cope with my depressed mental state. A bore light is first on the list, you are right on with the "dim lights" at gun shows these last ten years or so. Can't possibly be me!

walltube

Frank46
02-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Walltube, well I gotta be honest. The handicapped plate is for the asbestosis I got when I worked for a living. Cannot do much walking as I get tired and can't breathe well. But with the osteoarthritus it ain't much better. Like I said I think they turn down the lights so's you can't see how good or bad the bore is. I've had a couple dealers refuse to take off the wire ties they use now. The others seem only too happy if they have nothing to hide. One guy got downright insulted so walked away. i bought my K-31 at the bellmont great hall show a few years back. The trigger is to die for. That is after I cleaned off the funny black grease. Lately the number of shows has decreased due to the death of the man who sponsored the bellmont show and the show at lafayette blackham coloseium. But someone has stepped up and will be doing those shows for awhile. We used to be able to hit 2-3 shows
a month, in a way I'm kinda glad things have slowed down. Going to all them shows kept me broke. Sometimes I got a serious case of the "gimme's". Don't get me wrong I like the shows but when you walk in the door with maybe $50 in your pocket it doesn't take long to go through that. Decisions, decisions. Thats a good question about how long between here and gretna. Never been down that way. I have abuddy who drives me to the shows except for the local ones. I put the handicapped gizmo on his rear view mirror so's we can legally park in the handicapped parking places. Between the plates and the gizmo its the best money I have spent. I have athing for the 1891 argentine mauser so I keep an eye open when I go to the shows. The ones I have seen are usually bubba'd with lousy bores and have not seen a decent unbubba'd one in years. Still I keep my hopes up. Frank