PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 12

Ithaca Gunner
06-06-2024, 10:53 PM
Nothing special, just a run of the mill 1958 Winchester M-12 12ga. 28'' Mod. choke. It's been quite a few years since I've owned an M-12. I noticed this one looking lonely in a rack filled mostly with imported alloy receiver semi auto scatter guns, made a deal on it's behalf and walked it to the truck. It found it a little stiff and hard to work with at first, a good cleaning removing decades of crusted oil made a huge difference in it's attitude to cycle, break down, and go back together. She's runni'n smooth now! I did remove the pesky plug from the magazine, I don't hunt anymore so what's the use? Gimme all seven rounds!

https://i.imgur.com/46U0JVXh.jpg

Rockingkj
06-06-2024, 11:07 PM
Looks like a dandy gun! I like mod 12’s seems a gun that’s fits me and I shoot reasonably well. Years ago shot trap with standard field mod 12. Got a fancy Rem 870 TB and hit fewer rocks. Back to the Winchester. Congratulations

Wheelguns 1961
06-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Nice! That would look good next to my 1958 winchester model 50 30” full choke.327261

Ithaca Gunner
06-06-2024, 11:26 PM
Reminds me, I believe Winchester made a solid frame version of the M-12 at one time under a different model number, what was that model number?

Ithaca Gunner
06-06-2024, 11:30 PM
Looks like a dandy gun! I like mod 12’s seems a gun that’s fits me and I shoot reasonably well. Years ago shot trap with standard field mod 12. Got a fancy Rem 870 TB and hit fewer rocks. Back to the Winchester. Congratulations

I have a beautiful Wingmaster from 1967 and can't hit with it myself. Put an Ithaca M-37 in my paws and I can knock em down. Haven't tried the M-12 yet.

M-Tecs
06-06-2024, 11:36 PM
Reminds me, I believe Winchester made a solid frame version of the M-12 at one time under a different model number, what was that model number?

Model 25

15meter
06-06-2024, 11:39 PM
7 rounds.

You can play double, double, double, SURPISE! on the skeet field.

Puller hits the doubles button as fast as he can, three times, then his choice on high or low for the seventh shot.

Makes the skeet purists cringe, but it's fun.

Got 2, 12 gauge featherweight plain barrel with an adjustable Cutts and a 30's vintage solid rib 16 gauge with a poly-choke. Shoot both of them on both skeet and sporting clays.

Ithaca Gunner
06-06-2024, 11:48 PM
Model 25

Thanks! That may be my next shotgun.

gc45
06-06-2024, 11:59 PM
Still have three 12's I bought at gun shows; then there is two from my wife's father, and one more from my own father. Don't know why I keep them, memories I guess.

smkummer
06-07-2024, 06:30 AM
Do you know how to take it down? And if the barrel/action is wobbly, there is an adjustment for that to restore the tightness.

Ithaca Gunner
06-07-2024, 08:11 AM
Still have three 12's I bought at gun shows; then there is two from my wife's father, and one more from my own father. Don't know why I keep them, memories I guess.

They are good guns, but they're also a beast! That was one HUNK of billet steel they machined those receivers out of! I can think of quite a few lighter guns to carry for upland game hunting.

Ithaca Gunner
06-07-2024, 08:17 AM
Do you know how to take it down? And if the barrel/action is wobbly, there is an adjustment for that to restore the tightness.

Yup, and yup. I've had a few before this one. I remember sometime in the 80's Century Arms imported a bunch of them, all in 20'' riot configuration from what-ever country they got em from. My lgs had a big stack of them that didn't seem to get any smaller, he'd sell a dozen and get a dozen more. This went on for about a month or so before he tired of carrying them in from the car. I had my share, as I remember he sold them at $200.00 ea.

One thing I did forget about for a minute or so when I bought it was you have to slap the pump hndle forward to simulate recoil or use the slide release to rack it if the slide is fully forward and uncocked.

35 Rem
06-07-2024, 08:19 AM
They are good guns, but they're also a beast! That was one HUNK of billet steel they machined those receivers out of! I can think of quite a few lighter guns to carry for upland game hunting.

I've never owned a Model 12 but wanted one for a long time because of that reputation for reliability. But like you I always loved the light weight of the Ithaca 37 so for the most part have done the majority of my shot gunning with them rather than anything else. I had a few part failures that may not have happened with a Model 12 but I finally decided to just fix the Ithaca's and stick with a gun that was easy to carry. Also since shooting a shotgun is so much different than a rifle, anytime I change shotguns my hits drop. Best to stick with just one if at all possible in my opinion. When I finally got the double barrel I thought I wanted for many years, I found that it was impossible to make the 2nd shot on a bird. The gun wouldn't fire. I could not stop trying to pump the forearm and when it didn't slide back, my trigger finger refused to move. Darndest thing I'd ever seen. :)

square butte
06-07-2024, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=Ithaca Gunner;5734537]They are good guns, but they're also a beast! That was one HUNK of billet steel they machined those receivers out of! I can think of quite a few lighter guns to carry for upland game hunting.[/QUI
I have a cut down to 18 inch Heavy Duck 3" mag - Its a heavy beast. Anyone ever attempt to remove the lead out of the butt stock of a Heavy Duck. Thinking of doing that and having it set up for choke tubes so i can use it as a turkey gun - among other things

lightload
06-07-2024, 01:25 PM
Many of the older pump shotguns wore adjustable chokes or a Cutts. These devices reduced value of Model 12's, and I found a couple good deals on 12's for this reason.

HWooldridge
06-07-2024, 04:21 PM
Was that the one nicknamed, The Corn Sheller?

My cousin had one in like new condition - but unfortunately got "appropriated" by an acquaintance after his death and I was unable to find it. He shot a few dove and that was about all - I bet it only had a couple hundred shots through the barrel. Pretty sure it was modified choke.

Minerat
06-07-2024, 10:46 PM
I got mine at a yard sale for $75.00 in 1984 it is a very clean 1956 20 ga full choke. It goes with my 20 ga Auto 5. The 12 never seemed heavy to me and still doesn't but I grew up shooting those thumpers at ducks and pheasants using baby magnum 12 ga. The 20's are lighter and really became my favorite except for ducks and geese.

stubshaft
06-08-2024, 01:10 AM
I bought a 16 ga. model 12 in the late 70's for $85.00, and still use it or doves in the fall. Along the way I've had a couple o them to kill clay birdes too.

Harter66
06-08-2024, 09:08 PM
I have my Dad's made early in 1940 .

I have my Mom's with a 1968 traced SN and the letters and receipts to show it is a 1914 with a new receiver and take down ring . " We are unable to produce a correctly numbered receiver with the line discontinued. The repair can only be made with a new receiver from remaining parts ."

I have a 1916 I saved from a pawn shop in 2014 it was marked as a 1912 . Someone either shortened the stock as a repair on the wrist end or deliberately added just enough drop to make recoil cheek bone contact brutal .

I got a deal 2004 on a 1957 that was black parked ......talk about hiding sins ...... There's a ring in the barrel right at the front of the barrel/mag clamp/ring just enough to have a visible line on the inside .

All but Dad's 40' are 28" full choke field guns in Winchester wood .
Dad cut a new stock for his circa 1960 , a moderate comb and fitted cheek with the 32" goose barrel .

My personal work horse is a field special steel BPS 26" vent rib .I don't know that it's really all that much lighter than the old model 12s , it does have fewer parts .

jimb16
06-13-2024, 08:01 PM
I have both the Ithaca 37 and a 1942 Winchester M12.The featherlight is a 12 and the 12 is a 16. The 12 ga. hunts clays (cyl bore) and the 16ga. hunts turkeys (full choke). Wouldn't trade either of them for anything.

CLAYPOOL
06-13-2024, 10:53 PM
try those adjustable chokes before you cuss them. i did and this one seems to work as advised on settings

Patrick L
06-18-2024, 07:46 AM
A Model 12 is a fine gun, and one that has eluded me. I have several 870s and a single Ithaca M37, just for no particular reason never acquired a Model 12. And I love shooting a pump.

I think I need to remedy that!

Ithaca Gunner
06-18-2024, 11:29 AM
They're old school quality for sure. Prices seem to be all over the map though, plain ordinary hunting 12ga. like mine in good shape might run, $500.-$700. I got mine at a sportsman's swap sale type of yearly thing at a club. Private sale, $500. from $550. asking price. Year before a guy had a new still in the box ''skeet'' 12ga. late, post 64 model I think he had right around $700. on it and still had it when I left. I kinda wish I had bought it, it had the vent rib. They're heavy rascals! Lots of good American steel and walnut. Like many pre-64 M-70's there's a lot of them out there with orange vented recoil pads in place of the original Winchester plate. Pay accordingly. And, yup, they're slam-fire!

Bmi48219
06-19-2024, 09:03 PM
…… And, yup, they're slam-fire!

Yes they can be slam-fired. And NO, you don’t want to do it. I had a six digit serial number Model 12 with the upgraded checkered stock and for-end. Honest bluing wear on the receiver but no scratches, dings or dents. Extra length of pull, it fit me perfect. I couldn’t miss with that shotgun.
The police took custody of it incase it was needed for evidence pending a trial that never happened. Three years later I got a call to pick it up. And yes, in the meantime it had been slam-fired, enough to peen the shoulder of the locking recess in the receiver. After that every time it was fired it would lock up solid, requiring the back of the bolt to be pried down while pushing the fore-end toward the muzzle.
A company out west had purchased the Winchester Model 12 milling equipment by then. They said they could make a new receiver for me, but the serial number wouldn’t match the one on the bottom of the mating barrel/magazine casting, the one right next to the receiver serial number.
If you are considering purchasing a Model 12, try to get a look at the lockup recess the bolt sets against when closed. If it’s peened back even the slightest bit, pass on the purchase.

Ithaca Gunner
06-19-2024, 11:24 PM
The cops had a grand time with your Model 12 while in their custody? Doesn't surprise me a bit, items left in police custody that are attractive to them have a habit of vanishing without a trace. The fact they ruined it is probably the only reason you got it back at all.