PDA

View Full Version : Can Lyman Single Handles be converted to Double?

happy7
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a surplus of Lyman single handles and a shortage of double. I been thinking that it could be possible to grind down the inside of the jaws near the hinge to allow room for the double cav blocks. However, before I go and ruin a pair of perfectly good single handles, I figured I would check if others have done this and if they can offer me any advice.

I figure this must have been discussed before but a variety of search queries did not give me any results. Sorry if I am revisiting this.

Pepe Ray
02-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm told that the NEW Lyman double mold handles have been modified by grinding , to make handles for singles.---But NOT the opposite.

As inexpensive as Lee gang mold handles are, I'd think you'd be ahead to sell off some of your singles and buying some Lees. That's what I did.
Pepe Ray

Charlie Sometimes
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Sell or trade the singles and buy the Lee 6 cavity handles. They are cheaper, well built, and will fit Lyman double cavity molds. I think it's harder to find the unaltered single sets than finding something to use on doubles.

mikenbarb
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I have ground my singles to make doubles. Just dont take too much off. I made a template first and then scribed the tongs and went to town. They came out great and fit perfect.

happy7
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks Mike. I may do that then. Although the point made by the others is well taken. I could probably get 20 bucks for these and buy some Lee's for less than that.

wiljen
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm gonna put in a shameless plug for Red River Rick http://kal.castpics.net. He makes mold handles that will make the mold envious of their quality and sells em cheaper than he should.