PDA

View Full Version : Help for "older" eyes

Shuz
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Red Dot type sights are sure a help for some folks, as has been noted many times. However, there are three other aids out there that have helped me......one is the Merit Optical device that is merely an adjustable aperture that fits on your shooting glasses with a suction cup. Another is a Hi-Viz type fiber optic light gathering front sight as found on S&W 329PD's and others. I love this sight for hunting, and I have found, for me, it is much easier to acquire the target than either a Red Dot or an EER scope. It's biggest drawback is for serious target work since there are no "light bars" to find. The third device is called a "Hole in the Wall" (brand name) rear sight that is merely a large aperture in place of the rear sight. Jury's still out on that one for me, but others have found it helpful. Hope this helps some of you newer old pharts!--Shuz

"Hole in the Wall" should read "One Ragged Hole" sorry, tuff to get old!

Dale53
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I am now a confirmed "Red Dot Man".

One thing I learned when I tried my first hand gun scope. That is dry firing from "down position" at home will pay large dividends with trying to "find the hole" in a scope OR Red Dot. Further, the 30 mm is a good bit easier to "find the hole" than a 1" one.

Just a thought...
Dale53

billct
02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm slowly admitting to myself that I'm I'm old phart and can't see "thit" any more! Boy is it ever frustrating, I love to shoot handguns and I can't see the sights or the target clearly. I have a 45 auto with a scope that's beautiful but I really can't bear to drill and tap holes in my revolvers to mount a scope. I'd rather not shoot than put holes in it I think.

I'll look into that Merit Optical device.

Thanks

monadnock#5
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
My distance vision is still good, but need reading glasses for close in work. For target shooting, I've found that full size reading glasses (as opposed to half frames) are just the ticket. I've got my front sight focus back, without getting kinks in my neck. I keep a second pair next to the computer.

The last pair I bought came from Staples. Less than $20 for an off the rack pair.

Dale53
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
>>>I really can't bear to drill and tap holes in my revolvers to mount a scope. I'd rather not shoot than put holes in it I think.<<<

That has crossed my mind also. However, the factory has drilled and tapped all of the new revolvers (not really all but a considerable number of them). My recent acquisitions: 629 Light Hunter, 625-6 (5"), 625-8 (4"), 686 (6") have all been factory drilled and tapped. The screw holes are hidden by the rear sight when received. Just have to remove the rear sight, remove the blank screws and mount the scope mount. Nothing could be easier OR nicer. I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with doing EXACTLY the same to my 624's, etc AS LONG AS IT IS DONE EXPERTLY. If I do it to an older "before drilling and tapping" revolver I WILL follow the factory's lead and do it exactly as they did on the newer revolvers. I really could not care less what some collector who probably will not even shoot my guns may or may not say. Piffle!!

I am a shooter and my guns are to shoot. I NEVER abuse my handguns (OR long guns) but carefully drilling and tapping so I can actually use them makes absolute sense to me. I only have a few years left (if I'm lucky) and I am going to make the best of it. Then, my kids can do the same, and hopefully one or two of my grand kids may be interested.

Just some food for thought...

Dale53

Three44s
02-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I agree with Dale53,

They are your guns ....... enjoy them while you can ....... if someone that follows has an issue with D&T ...... tough!

But you can always start with guns that are factory D&Ted ....... or if none are ..... then select one you could bear to do so with.

My drop dead favorite is the Bushnell Holosight ....... EOTech makes even better versions but for more bucks

Just two peices of advice: If you go with these ......... ALWAYS shoot them the same way as you did when you sighted them in ....... ie ..... sight in with both eyes open ....... then shoot with both eyes open ...... and if with one ...... then shoot with one open.

And the second: DO NOT buy the version that used "N" bats .......... "splurge" and invest in one that uses AA bats .......... the difference is DECISIVE!!!

Three 44s

Poygan
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
If any one is interested, I have a Merit optical device that I no longer need due to cataract surgery. I used it very little. I'd like $45 and I'll ship it to you (stateside or APO/FPO).

First PM gets it.

Sold Pending Funds

billct
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Dale53/ Three44s,

Yes you guys are certainly right about enjoying them as they were meant to be, it's just a bunch of iron I guess anyway. But that's good info about the newer guns being already drilled and tapped, I never knew that. I have a S&W 586 that I really like to shoot, it would be nice if that was already drilled and tapped, I'll check it out.:drinks:

Thanx for the advice on batteries etc. also!

Bill

Don McDowell
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
The One Ragged Hole sights are pretty good. They do take some getting used to tho. www.oneraggedhole.com

billct
02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
And the second: DO NOT buy the version that used "N" bats .......... "splurge" and invest in one that uses AA bats .......... the difference is DECISIVE!!!

Three 44s

Been looking around at the Bushnell Scope you mentioned, all I seem to see are ones that use 2 "N" batteries, no AA's. Are you sure they make this for AA's??

Bill