PDA

View Full Version : VERY large server update going on. Be aware

Gunload Master
05-30-2024, 01:09 AM
I am currently in the process of performing a BIG update to the server, updating hardware / software. This is a pretty extensive update that might get a bit crazy if things do not go as planned. Please be prepared for downtime and strange notices!

Wag
05-30-2024, 06:39 AM
Have fun with that!

--Wag--

Gunload Master
05-30-2024, 10:35 AM
First rounds of updates went to hell. The old server cant handle the new updates. I am in the process of building a brand new server and will be doing transfers over the next few days. Since we are transitioning i will have to close the forum down to transfer data to the new server. This takes some time so please be prepared. Thanks!

Shawlerbrook
05-30-2024, 10:38 AM
Good luck !

Rapier
05-30-2024, 10:39 AM
Thank you for the time, effort and money.

jdgabbard
05-30-2024, 10:43 AM
That sucks. Been doing similar at our office. Also, upgrading everyone's workstations, since Win10 becomes unsupported as of next year we need to migrate to Win11. And because the system requirements are ridiculous, that means replacing all but two workstations in the office. But, it gave me justification to go ahead and get myself a larger monitor with a riser so I don't have to deal with as much neck strain. Or what one might call Tech Neck...

I hope the rest of the upgrades go smoother for you!

country gent
05-30-2024, 10:45 AM
Keep up the good work a great forum and great people. Do what you need to keep it going.

gwpercle
05-30-2024, 10:53 AM
Are we going to get a LIKE button ...

Thanks for the update warning ... heads up

Good Luck , hope all goes well and as planned .

You Guys are Awesome :drinks: Thanks !
Gary

tinsnips
05-30-2024, 11:15 AM
Consider your self lucky you don't have to have me helping you. It would never work again!! Good luck an thank you

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-30-2024, 11:47 AM
oh boy...Good Luck.

waksupi
05-30-2024, 11:47 AM
Thanks for running the show, Willie!

Just to get ahead of the curve, we know someone will complain and mourn the change from the old one.
I formally register the first complaint, and say it's terrible, worthless, and not how Uncle Henry would have done it.

The caveat is, I haven't seen the new update, have no idea what it will look like, but I would hate to be the last to complain! [smilie=l:

DougGuy
05-30-2024, 11:51 AM
In 2000 I certified in Server+, A+, Network+, went through Inet+ and LPI Linux on RedHat 7.2 but that was almost 25yrs ago, and now with 25yr old memory of these courses I'd probably not be much help now.

GOOD LUCK with the upgrades!!

jdgabbard
05-30-2024, 12:19 PM
In 2000 I certified in Server+, A+, Network+, went through Inet+ and LPI Linux on RedHat 7.2 but that was almost 25yrs ago, and now with 25yr old memory of these courses I'd probably not be much help now.

I am fluent in Zilog Mnemonics...that'll make you feel old...

racepres
05-30-2024, 12:37 PM

And I still Use Linux...Windoze leaving folks behind is Not New..learned from Mac, Me Thinks.

Bull
05-30-2024, 12:37 PM
Thank you for making this site. This has helped me so much with many things. And I appreciate you making the update I cannot even imagine how much time and effort it takes.

Winger Ed.
05-30-2024, 12:50 PM
I'd be glad to help if ya need me to.
However--My method of fixing and working on electronics is like Andy Griffith would do in "No Time For Sergeants".

When the TV on the porch wouldn't come on, he'd spit into the back of it and give it a good whack on the top.

DougGuy
05-30-2024, 04:43 PM
And I still Use Linux...Windoze leaving folks behind is Not New..learned from Mac, Me Thinks.

I have been with linux starting maybe 2015, I forget. Soon as win8 came out and some of my hardware didn't work, it was bye bye billy G!

Linux is still running on some of the same hardware winblows8 choked on. I had a "hop box" it was an auxiliary box that I used to test every new distro that looked interesting to me, I learned a lot but settled on linux mint cinnamon, it looks feels and runs like a Win7 machine only more stability and less of M$'s bs.

I think my first linux mint was 17, I went with all the updates and all the upgrades to 21.3 which I had some issues with the displays and printing so the laptops run 21.3 quite well but I had to format and drop back to 21.2 on the desktops, with the supplied xserver-xorg-video-nouveau display driver, no nvidia.

jdgabbard
05-30-2024, 05:01 PM
I have been with linux starting maybe 2015, I forget. Soon as win8 came out and some of my hardware didn't work, it was bye bye billy G!

Linux is still running on some of the same hardware winblows8 choked on. I had a "hop box" it was an auxiliary box that I used to test every new distro that looked interesting to me, I learned a lot but settled on linux mint cinnamon, it looks feels and runs like a Win7 machine only more stability and less of M$'s bs.

I think my first linux mint was 17, I went with all the updates and all the upgrades to 21.3 which I had some issues with the displays and printing so the laptops run 21.3 quite well but I had to format and drop back to 21.2 on the desktops, with the supplied xserver-xorg-video-nouveau display driver, no nvidia.

I have been a fan of Ubuntu, but they've seriously had a problem with issuing updates over the last decade. My original goto back in the day was Red Hat. Then Debian, which I still occasionally use. I haven't messed with any distros in a few years, but these days I'd probably start with something minimal, and install my own graphical system...

Gunload Master
05-30-2024, 05:18 PM
So this forum software will remain the same for the time being, this update will be a start of the preparations to switch this site to the new software (which im not a fan of, bit can only put it off so long). The new software will have a like button :)
This update is pure hardware, getting a brand new server (about $2,000). More RAM, better cpu, and upgrading the way backups are done. Ensuring we will never lose our information. Also hoping for a generous speed boost too, we have been bogging down quite a bit lately.

Barry54
05-30-2024, 08:24 PM
What are the odds of this update telling me my browser is not supported like many other websites I used to frequent? I sure hope not. I like it here!

deltaenterprizes
05-30-2024, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the warning and thanks for the site!

Gunload Master
05-30-2024, 09:06 PM
What are the odds of this update telling me my browser is not supported like many other websites I used to frequent? I sure hope not. I like it here!

This particular update shouldnt effect that.

Gunload Master
05-30-2024, 09:08 PM
Tomorrow or saturday this site will be shut down for the transition. Once moved to the new server it will be reopened. The IP address of the server is changing which will take a bit to update for everybody. Some people it takes minutes, some take days. If after 2 days you still see a message that its closed, please send me an email at webmaster@gunloads.com so we can help figure it out.

Wheelguns 1961
05-30-2024, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the update!

William Yanda
05-31-2024, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Yesterday morning my browser would not connect and I was ready to blame a browser update protecting me from dangerous sites.

uscra112
05-31-2024, 10:57 AM

Megadittos.!!!!! At my age I DREAD subjecting myself to another round of figuring out how to make a new O/S & browser do the simplest tasks, hours of porting my masses of data to new browsers and email clients, trying to make my legacy CAD software work, buying/downloading new versions of apps I seldom use but need when I do, figuring out how to protect myself from Gurgle/Microsoft, und-und-und. Transitioning to Windows XP was bad enough.

/rant

jdgabbard
05-31-2024, 11:11 AM
I mean, if your browser is saying that it needs updating to view a website, update your browser. That's pretty basic stuff there...

SSGOldfart
05-31-2024, 11:25 AM
Humm thanks for the heads up, this subject is way way over my head.

WILCO
05-31-2024, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the time, effort and money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Barry54
05-31-2024, 01:08 PM
I mean, if your browser is saying that it needs updating to view a website, update your browser. That's pretty basic stuff there...

I suppose it does sound basic to most. I’ve missed a couple of updates. There’s not enough memory on my phone now to do the update. I’ve taken care of my phone and the planned obsolescence infuriates me. I hate computers to put it mildly.

Did I mention the ambulance took my father to a hospital in the next town over last Friday? Yep! Computers were acting up at the closest hospital. I’d give up running water if I never had to encounter another computer.

My opinion aside, I enjoy the people and knowledge and atmosphere on this site. If the update was going to cause me to be excluded here, my plan was to try to get real contact information for a lot of y’all I communicate with. Looks like I can procrastinate a little longer.

jdgabbard
05-31-2024, 01:18 PM
Are you using an older phone? Even my iPhone 8 manages to navigate the firms just fine. I don’t see where a phones browser would be a problem unless it was very old. If that’s the case, it probably is time for an update. Even my iPhone is starting to get worn out….

Barry54
05-31-2024, 01:40 PM
Are you using an older phone? Even my iPhone 8 manages to navigate the firms just fine. I don’t see where a phones browser would be a problem unless it was very old. If that’s the case, it probably is time for an update. Even my iPhone is starting to get worn out….

This isn’t the thread for discussion of my phone, but here’s what happens when I try a link in an email from Smith and Wesson, for example.

Gunload Master
06-01-2024, 02:10 PM
We are on the new server right now. Any issues?

cabezaverde
06-01-2024, 02:43 PM
Seems much faster.

Shawlerbrook
06-01-2024, 02:48 PM
Working great at this end ! Thank you for maintaining my favorite gun community on the web !

FredBuddy
06-01-2024, 03:21 PM
working great for me, also.
Much thanks for work on maintaining
this important site!

BorderBrewer
06-01-2024, 03:32 PM
Working great No.1. Crisp and fast!

Pine Baron
06-01-2024, 03:46 PM
That wasn't so bad...Thanks for the hard work on this.

Tripplebeards
06-01-2024, 03:47 PM
I'm back in. It's loading super slow for me.

Minerat
06-01-2024, 03:49 PM
Willie,

Looks like I have full access and no issues logging on.

Steve,
Cast Boolits moderator.

gmsharps
06-01-2024, 03:59 PM
Works fine here

gmsharps

schutzen-jager
06-01-2024, 04:51 PM
forum working perfectly all afternoon with the exception that no attachments will load at all -

Gunload Master
06-01-2024, 06:13 PM
Ill be working on the attachment issue after a bit, its on my to do

Wag
06-02-2024, 07:45 AM
Seems to be fine now!

Thank you for all of your efforts and time.

--Wag--

Rapier
06-02-2024, 09:01 AM
So far so good,

Gunload Master
06-03-2024, 12:35 PM
New Cookie being created. Everyone will have to login again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Finster101
06-03-2024, 12:44 PM
So is Nord VPN acceptable? I don't use it at home, but if I travel I do not trust hotel and airport Wi-Fi.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-03-2024, 01:19 PM
I log out after every visit. anyway, I just logged in, all good.

wingspar
06-03-2024, 02:13 PM
Took a while to get logged in, but once logged in the site seems to be working as it always has until I went to reply to this thread. Getting the “Advanced” posting area took quite a while.

If the new software is what I’ve been seeing on other sites, it will take a little while to get used to, but once used to it, it’s very nice and I’ve always been a big vBulletin fan.

Gunload Master
06-03-2024, 02:23 PM
No new software yet. I may be upgrading very shortly.

Gunload Master
06-03-2024, 06:31 PM
You will notice the top right does not have your avatar and looks different. This had to be changed for new server software.

steve urquell
06-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Most of us on here are old enough to be patient. I'm sure it will be fine when the bugs are worked out. No need to worry. Everything will be OK. Just have to be patient. Thank you to the staff for upgrading the software. :cbpour::cbpour:

country gent
06-03-2024, 07:30 PM
Took me awhile to get logged back on, but that was my fault couldnt find where to get new password. Looks good, Will be be getting the new posts back in the right corner block????

rancher1913
06-03-2024, 09:14 PM
my unread posts icon disappeared, hopefully its just a glitch

jss227
06-03-2024, 09:26 PM
Until just now have been getting "bootstrap" messages whenever I tried to get on the site.

Rickf1985
06-03-2024, 09:49 PM
This is the first time I have been able to log in. Got an error code for the last three days. deleted all my cookies and nothing, beside losing all of my auto logins to all of my sites. Right now at 21:47 it is very, very slow to respond. Saying all of this now in case it does not let me back in.
Been there and done that with my other forum so kind of know what you are going through. But I do not have my own server so I went through a host, Kualo, and all was done in about 2 hours.

country gent
06-03-2024, 09:59 PM
Unread posts just came back for me. This is getting better and better. Keep the the great job

GhostHawk
06-03-2024, 10:05 PM
My unread posts just came back as well. Think it was a matter of logging back in after the first time.

Gunload Master
06-03-2024, 10:07 PM
I re-activated the unread posts. Doing some tests for members having difficulty logging in.

ioon44
06-04-2024, 07:36 AM
I am back on the forum as today, I was already singed in from yesterday but was getting bootstrap messages.

So far so good.

racepres
06-04-2024, 07:55 AM
Everything seems to be working as good as ever for me...using Multiple Browsers.. Even the Linux "palemoon" works well..
Good job

Rickf1985
06-04-2024, 08:14 AM
Whatever you did last night made a BIG difference!! Super fast and responsive today. Thank you.

Daver7
06-04-2024, 08:15 AM
Thanks for keeping this place going

trebor44
06-04-2024, 09:09 AM
Had to create a new user, still not optimal, getting some interesting errors. Oh well! Old user profile is working again, thanks. Having done upgrades in the past, I am very glad I am retired! Upgrades are never easy!

Gunload Master
06-04-2024, 12:17 PM
Had to create a new user, still not optimal, getting some interesting errors. Oh well! Old user profile is working again, thanks. Having done upgrades in the past, I am very glad I am retired! Upgrades are never easy!

What errors are you getting?

trebor44
06-04-2024, 01:28 PM
What errors are you getting?

For trebor444: Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/?)

Tazman1602
06-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Working great from up here in the great north, THANK YOU for your time and effort and money..

ART

Gunload Master
06-04-2024, 04:22 PM
Where are you getting this error?
All bookmarks and links need to point to:
https//castboolits.gunloads.com
NOT
https://www.castboolits.gunloads.com
Dont put www in the address.

country gent
06-04-2024, 04:40 PM
Working great here, Seems to be up to speed and very use able. Again Thanks for your dedication to the site. Its truly appreciated.

ulav8r
06-04-2024, 08:29 PM
Logged in last night, no problem. Ran quick the first 15 minutes then slowed down. Opening a thread took from 5 seconds to 17 seconds. Tonight did not recognize my password, had to reset my password.

trebor44
06-05-2024, 09:00 AM
Where are you getting this error?
All bookmarks and links need to point to:
https//castboolits.gunloads.com
NOT
https://www.castboolits.gunloads.com
Dont put www in the address.

get this immediately on login, enter UID and PWD:

"trebor444, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home"

bullet maker 57
06-05-2024, 11:32 AM
Everything works perfectly for me. Thanks.

AlaskaMike
06-05-2024, 04:42 PM
Apologies if I've missed it, but what are the hardware specs of the new server? Ie, number and type of cores, and amount of RAM & disk? Anything special on the network side? Of course, I'm guessing that this is a physical system and not a virtual server.

I've worked for about 30 years with various Linux/unix systems, some big and some small. I find Linux and FreeBSD much more enjoyable to work on than the commercial unix types. As I type this I'm fighting with migrating an AIX LPAR from a Power5 chassis to a (newer but still ancient now) Power7 chassis.

I used to use some little tweaks to get more performance from my Sendmail and Postfix mail servers by running a local caching DNS server. I never really ran any big webservers, but I've wondered if something like that would be helpful on a webserver.

Gunload Master
06-05-2024, 11:08 PM
Its running Almalinux 8.x, its got dual 2.6GHz 8-Core E-2378 Rocket Lake Xeon processors for a total of 16 cores and 64GB of RAM. I run two SSDs for backup with offsite backup as well for redundancy.
And yes a physical server with a 1Gbps bandwidth port.

AlaskaMike
06-06-2024, 03:53 AM
Love it! Many thanks.

Much of my stuff at work is backed up via an old IBM TS3500 LTO6 tape library. I'm pushing to upgrade to a TS4500 library and LTO8, but that's dependent on the bean counters.

For my stuff that doesn't have network connectivity to the tape library, I've been doing rsync, and using snapshots.