PDA

View Full Version : No longer a virgin

Apache
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/Apache5000/DSC00002.jpg

This is my first successful paper patch for a 458 winchester. Took about 10 tries to get it right, now it's much easier. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

This started as a .459 Lee cast bullet: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=214596

Sized down to .451 using a Lee sizer: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=444306

Then paper patched with adding machine paper. Coated with Johnson's Paste Wax when finished. Gives a final diameter of .461. Just happens to be the same diameter of the throat on my 458 Winchester barrel for my Savage rifle. I swap barrels on it a lot.

Got the hollow base mold for it too, but haven't cast any yet.

Any advise?

montana_charlie
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I guess you can put an 'R' on the end of your name...

CM

Apache
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
:roll:

ROTFLMAO!!

Bullshop
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
For use with your .461" diameter PP boolits you may want to consider a larger than standard expander for your die set, that is if you are sizing for those at all.
Reason being that seating a PP boolit in that tight neck may cause problems with the patch tearing or with the boolit pushing through the bottom of the patch.
Something I do to solve the sizing issue for over size PP boolits is this.
Cut a spacer that will slip over your unsized 45/70 case so that it will slide over but stop when it contacts the rim. Cut this spacer to a length so the when in place over the case and with both inverted a portion of the case to be sized will incert into a Lee 45/70 factory crimp die from the top. You slip case is now acting as a depth gauge to the 45/70 case controling the depth its mouth will fall into the crimp die. Now with the die adjusted so a to apply a moderate crimp to the case at a depth setting predeterimend by you to apply a caniler to the 45/70 case. I like the caniler to be about mid way of the boolit in the case. This helps to align the boolit when seating. this is very gentil on the patch and the ammount of caniler can be adjusted from almost nothing to a very deep groove pressed into the case. For long boolits you can make two depth gauges to apply two crimps to hold the longer boolit in alignment, one near the top and one near the bottom of the boolit.
I prolly made it sound more complicated than it really is. If in case you are fortunate to not have ant problems at all seating the over sized pp boolits in sized cases then just totally disregard all this gibberish I just tapped out.
Oh yea another thing I do now to avoid all this is to just patch up to .450"
Blessings
BIC/BS

Apache
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I am pretty sure I understand what you're talkin about...I'm gonna use a Lee universal case expanding die to flare the case mouths and only size the necks if/when needed. I may need to ream the neck portion of the die to keep from being so tight that it tears the paper while seating boolits. I haven't tried it yet, still casting/patching boolits.

The cannelure idea is very interesting, I'll definitely have to try it.

BTW this is for a 458 Winny, if that should make a difference. The principles should be the same for any straight walled case though, I would think.

Thanks for the advise.

docone31
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Those look well done!
Welcome to the wonderful world of makeing confetti.
I am looking forward to range results. I hope you get the same as I did.

Apache
02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Thx!

Hope to be able to shoot a few this coming week if I can get off work early enough....

Bullshop
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
OH! Sorry I see now that you were talking 458 Win mag.
Yes its all the same and you can do the same job with a Lee factory crimp die for either cartridge. Since your incerting the case mouth from the top of the die it makes no differance which die you have as long as its for the same caliber, 45 rifle. For example I have used a 375 H&H crimp die to caniler a 38/55 case.
Blessings
BIC/BS

carpetman
02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I was disappointed somehow I didnt expect this would be about paper patching bullets.

3rptr
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Nice looking work, Apache!
...Adding machine paper...

Working too late for target practice?
Not good.
If you are previously sighted in you'll probably find you only get 1 shot per block.
Them street lites aren't very tough!:lol:

cast405
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
For case neck tension/sizing I can highly recomend a bushing style neck size die (no expander ball). I am personally using the one that CH-4D makes and would not want to live without it now.I do not even use lube while sizing do to the very minimal amount it is getting reduced.I have also had very good results using bienfang tracing paper from "Walmart"two wraps then lubed with rooster labs liquid jacket which drys waterproof.. have fun playing!!

Apache
02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
I was disappointed somehow I didnt expect this would be about paper patching bullets.

:twisted:

Title was a bit misleading wasn't it? LOL!!

Nice looking work, Apache!
...Adding machine paper...

Working too late for target practice?
Not good.
If you are previously sighted in you'll probably find you only get 1 shot per block.
Them street lites aren't very tough!:lol:

ROTFLMAO!!!

Live out in the semi-boonies. No street lites here......but a few miles down the road could take care of that!!! :roll:

For case neck tension/sizing I can highly recomend a bushing style neck size die (no expander ball)....... have fun playing!!

Thx......but I don't think they make a bushing die set for the 458 Winny.......could be wrong though. If someone does make bushing dies for it, it is the only way to go.....currently using a RCBS set.

pdawg_shooter
02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
You are doomed now! How are you gonna live without barrel leading, low velocity, and bad accuracy?