PDA

View Full Version : TC #13 smells like Goop. Ah an experiment.

Remmy4477
05-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Finally ran out of my old bottle of Thompson Center #13 bore cleaner.
Old Gibsons price tag says $1.99
Looked it up and cheapest I can find not counting shipping 9.99

Was at Harbor Freight today for a few things, hand cleaner (goop) saws all and some blades.

Did my work, washed my hands with the goop, hey that smell seems familiar??
Checked my bottle of #13, smells identical to the goop. Huh?

So mixed three heaping tablespoons to about 8 ounces of water, whipped it good to get out the lumps and poured it into my TC bottle. Not real runny but not thick either.

Going to try it for a black powder bore cleaner. I did a little research and found some folks use it as a lube for patches some for a cleaner. Nothing mentioned as far as watering it down.
Will give it a run and see if it's decent?

Normally I'd run 3-4 patches with the #13, one run with the bore brush then one with the 13, then 2 dry and one pass with a clean oiled patch. Always worked till I started getting low on the #13.

Switched over to windshield washer fluid mixed with murphy's oil soap, does the job fine. This is also my soak mixture for my spent cartridges, clean's them up good.

But who'd of thought TC #13 would smell like goop?

indian joe
05-27-2024, 06:39 AM
If you using real blackpowder ? can substitute H2O for the goop / TC13 ........it will work just as good

Sasquatch-1
05-27-2024, 07:00 AM
At the range I use an alcohol-soaked patch for between shots and a mixture of alcohol, peroxide and Murphy's oil soap for a final cleaning. I than swab down the barrel with bore butter. At home it is just good old fashion soap and water and then a rust preventative. I have never bothered with any of the cleaning products sold just for black powder.

toot
05-27-2024, 07:47 AM
I for years have used liquid dish detergent from the back of the sink with hot tap H2O. still getting good results. jmho.

Don McDowell
05-27-2024, 10:25 AM
Napa water soluble cutting oil mixed 1 part oil to 7 parts water works very well to clean black powder fouling. And at 10$ or so for a bottle last a very long time.

fastdadio
05-27-2024, 10:35 AM
Napa water soluble cutting oil mixed 1 part oil to 7 parts water works very well to clean black powder fouling. And at 10$ or so for a bottle last a very long time.

This seems like a good idea, kind of value added substitute for Ballistol.

Don McDowell
05-27-2024, 11:46 AM
It works. Some use as much as 1-10 mix.
But no matter what one uses to clean the fouling you still need a good bore solvent to remove the carbon and any lead that might be in the barrel