PDA

View Full Version : 45cal barrel length ?

357maximum
02-22-2009, 08:23 AM
1 in 66 twist 45caliber rifle 7/8 flats- patched round balls only........

optimum barrel length...if there is one?

minimum barrel length..you would consider on a H&A style underhammer?

Looking for something short/light and handy for whitetails (up close from an elevated position), but do not want to go too short.... and lose too much speed.

thanks in advance for facts/opinions/whatnot..I have almost zero 45cal smoker experience.

Michael

FL-Flinter
02-22-2009, 08:41 AM
30-40" balances out just right on the H&A depending upon your body type but with a 7/8" OD .45cal there isn't a whole lot of weight difference per inch so even smaller built people are comfortable with a bit longer bbl in the 34-36" range - bigger built people will generally not notice much difference in the 32-40" range. Normally somewhere in the 33-38" range is where most people will find a happy medium between balance and steadiness for free-hand shooting. Remember too that you can always add a little weight under the buttplate to adjust the balance if need be.

As for minimum length ... about 20" will give you plenty of burn time on a .45 PRB with 3F black powder but of course, the longer the bbl, the higher the velocity you'll get with the same amount of powder.

Mark

rhead
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
I have one of the mid 1970's under hammer buggy rifles in 44 cal with a 19 inch barrel. I have never shot it over a chronograph but the velocity is great enough to get an exit wound on the south Arkansas whitetails with a .433 rb and 45 grains of fffg. I would rate it as handling excellent, power adequate, accuracy quite acceptable, The sight radius has become inadequate in the last couple of decades. I can't see going to a .45 cal altering the results a great deal.

357maximum
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I was thinking 28 to 30 inches but did not want to skew other opinions,,,thank you both.

I would like to see a 19inch barrelled buggy rifle...would really like to shoot one...sounds very interesting indeed.....it would be excellent for my
"squirrell nest" blind I have in the ol mans woods.

rhead
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
There are pictures in some of the older catalogs and the guns digest. My camera in with #1 son at college and it wont fit in my scanner. I guess it filled the need for a truck gun in the 1830's through the 60's. Or maybe the trapper modle of the period.
A friend's 9 year old daughter killed a doe with it last fall from about 30 yards. The deer ran and wobbled about 65 0r 70 yards and fell. She has a vision problem and needs a scope on a small light rifle. We drilled and tapped the barrel for a marlin 336 mount and got her in business.
If I remember right they were around $50 when I bought it.

mooman76
02-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I've had a couple 50's one with a 24" and one with 26". Both shot well(1/48 twist) and seemed to have plenty of power. The inlines have fairly short barrels. I was thinking if you are wanting a short barrel gun something like 24-28 inches or so should work fine for what you want. Never shot an under hammer but the basic function should work out the same.

On a curiosity note: If you have little expeience with a smoke pole, why an under hammer?

357maximum
02-22-2009, 04:16 PM
On a curiosity note: If you have little expeience with a smoke pole, why an under hammer?

I said like zero experience with a 45 smoker....I shoot .50 :wink: always have ..since the beginning. I did not know if there was some highly technical inversion of the reversion principle on some odd weird inversible atmospheric conditions that change when one makes his balls smaller[smilie=1:

I need something other than a sidelock to play with, and a flinter ain't quite on the menu yet.:wink:

mooman76
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Maybe you should be the first to invent the under hammer flint lock!

357maximum
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Maybe you should be the first to invent the under hammer flint lock!

TOO LATE//// already been done..I actually saw some pics of one on my researching for this project. The underhammer was made to keep the flash of the flintlock out of the target shooters vision apparently.

Charlie Sometimes
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Usually, people who start shooting with the bigger balls, always end up shooting smaller balls, because of the savings on lead, etc.- it don't cost as much if you are doing it a lot.

As to barrel length- as long as you can see the end of your ML when you stand it up to load it, you can't be too wrong. I used to shoot with a fella whose rifle was taller than he was, and he had to lean it way out to load and clean. He also had a little difficulty holding it up after a while, too.

I like the longer1:66 RB rifles. For the H&A Underhammer, I'd consider what your action and stock length is and subtract that from a measurement somewhere below your chin. What is comfortable for loading? That difference would approximate my barrel length in something commonly made.

Boz330
02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Mine is a 26" buggy rifle in 50 but it went through the last deer that I shot with it at about 50 yrds. The other model they had was 32" and I would have preferred that model but I was in a hurry and the 26" was on the shelf. I got my Godson one of the longer models and both balance quite nicely.

Bob

mooman76
02-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Funny thing about 45 vs 50 or others. When I first started getting into ML about 20 years ago or so, almost everything was 45 and that's what I had. I was trying to get a 50 or bigger because you needed at least a 50 to hunt BP where I was if you wanted to shoot RB. They had a minumum grain weight to hunt with during the BP season and most guns then had the slower twist rates for RB also and wouldn't stablize a conical. They were available but cost big $$ to get and I didn't have the $$ at the time to get on of the real good one. I had to stick with CVA and Traditions mostly for that part.
Finally got my heavier gun(s) several in fact and then I wanted to go back to something smaller for economy and you can't hardly find anything in 45 any more. picked up a 32 which is economitial but there was something lacking. Finnaly got a 45 back to shoot so I can go somewhere inbetween economy and the power. Actually picked up a kit and a swap meet for $50. It was a old kit but never touched, still in the plastic wrapper.
Just kind of shows you how times change and influence the market.

FL-Flinter
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure I want to reply to this post again what with every one talking about the size of their balls!:kidding:

I started many moons ago with a CVA Kentucky flint - got the kit, spent months figuring out how the lock was supposed to work then fixing it so did work, at least somewhat anyway. I did take some deer with it, no problem with the .45 putting them down if, like with any other gun, you hit them right. Size doesn't really matter as much as accuracy because if you hit 'em in the guts with a .62 they're going to run just as they would with a .45 to the guts.

I've gone to bigger bores for big game hunting .54, .58, .62, .66 just because I like having more range and options. Of course, going bigger doesn't excuse making a bad shot but a bigger hole bleeds faster and a heavier ball means more momentum on a bigger target.

For small game & target, it's hard to beat a .40 but a .36 is good too but the .40 reaches just a little further and is usually less of a picky eater than the .36

Yes, flintlock underhammers were already made and will be again just as soon as I get caught up on what I already have going.

BigBore56
02-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I too shot 50's and 54's for years...when powder and caps were cheap (lead was free). I just bought a new .45 Longrifle, which will use less powder. It gets to be a big deal when you shoot a lot.

northmn
02-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Were I to build the gun to my preferences I would use a 32-36 inch barrel with a 7/8 as they balance nice and so forth. As stated, when I started shooting the 45 was King in longrifles, usually with a light 13/16 barrel. They made fine rifles and for shooting matches and general shooting still are. The biggest difference in effectiveness with a smaller bore on deer is range. Round ball tend to lose velocity quicker especially in smaller bores. I use a big bore like a 58 for hunting for that reason as 100 yard shots are not uncommon where I hunt. A 58 can start out about 300 fps slower than a 45 and hit at the same speed at 100 yards or close to it. If shots are kept closer, like within 75 yards the 45 is fine. Also there is a difference in deer across the country. Grain fed midwest deer can field dress at 200 pounds with 150 pounders on the hoof not uncommon. Some of the southern deer may make about 160 on the hoof for a trophy buck with 100 pounds or less not uncommon. Still have thoughts about building another 13/16 45 for old times sake as they really balanced and shot well.

Northmn

Boondocker
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/boondocker6/DSCF2923.jpg

Here is a 45 Dickert I am attemping to build. 38 inch barrel and 1:48 twist and here is a link to my picks if it works.http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/boondocker6/?start=20

northmn
02-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Interesting. Is it a kit or precarved stock?

Northmn

Boondocker
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Not a kit I bought all the parts seperate and the stock was precarved with just the barrel channel and ramrod hole.

northmn
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Building guns gets pretty addicting also. Hope you enjoy the building as well as the shooting as some folks do.

Northmn