PDA

View Full Version : Heat treating stick on WW.

JeffinNZ
02-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Team.

I have been curious to see if stick on 'Pb' wheel weights will heat treat to a BHN greater than air cooled.

I use my stick on weights for making a faux 40-1 alloy. Air cooled stick on measures around 7 BHN and though this is very soft it is obviously not 'pure' Pb which measures 5 BHN. To create my 40-1 to top of the stick on weights with an appropriate measure of some of the tin based babbit I have. BHN bumps to high 7's.

A week ago I was oven heat treating some bullets and tossed in some of my 40-1 bullets also. All were baked for one and a half hours at 450F then dunked in cold water. After 7 days the 40-1 bullets measured 11.8 BHN, higher than regular clip on WW air cooled.

Now I know this is not very scientific but what it does show is that stick on WW can be made into very usable alloy with a BHN on par or slightly higher than their clip on cousins.

bobthenailer
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
i dont know if this will help ! but 50/50 wheel weights and lead will water drop from the mould to around 15 to 16 bhn. it works very well . i never water dropped straight lead.

leftiye
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Nice to know!

OLPDon
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Stick on WW are to be treated as pure Lead. If there is anything in the stick on not of much to factor in.
Don

wiljen
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
wouldn't surprise me at all to find that stick-on wheel weights had 1-2% antimony just to strengthen the alloy and prevent deformation.

JeffinNZ
02-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Stick on WW are to be treated as pure Lead. If there is anything in the stick on not of much to factor in.
Don

Did you read my post?

OLPDon
02-23-2009, 03:17 AM
My toughts were stick on had limited amouts of other alloys if any, and wasn't enough to factor into a alloy mix other then just lead. Reread and seen my oversight on your post. My reply was by no means ment to offend you.
Don