PDA

View Full Version : big stray tomcat. his days are numbered

farmbif
05-22-2024, 12:33 PM
momma cat brought out her kittens to the food bowl yesterday. they been hiding in the shed. I was just out there and heard a commotion. the tom was killing the kittens. first clear shot I get on him he is gone forever

Nines&Twos
05-22-2024, 12:49 PM
Sometimes a good shepherd must perform a catsecution for the good of the land and the inhabitants thereof.

Winger Ed.
05-22-2024, 12:56 PM
That's pretty normal behavior if they aren't his kittens.

farmbif
05-22-2024, 12:58 PM
they are partly his kittens of the three ive seen 2 of them look just like him, yellow. the other one is black and white just like big boy, the dominant male of my pride

Nines&Twos
05-22-2024, 01:03 PM
Acclimating to ambient temperature is normal behavior too if you can poke a hole in something vital. There are several ferals in the area as well as other critters...catching your supper is just life but I don't put up with that tom-cat-foolery.

Suppressed .22 + CCI Quiet segmented HP = solved problem ...at least it does here in the 'burbs, just don't discuss with the neighbors. 3 S's = Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up

Barry54
05-22-2024, 01:07 PM
I’ve had sows eat piglets too. They went to the first of the line for next to butcher.

farmbif
05-22-2024, 01:12 PM
oh no, im not in the burbs, im in a place where the sheriff will come out for old ladies and shoot feral dogs. ive keep 12 gauge, 22 pistol and rifle and a 22 pellet gun handy one at each door just for unwanted critters

Moleman-
05-22-2024, 01:25 PM
We tried barn cats (fixed). Coyotes got them, but not before their buddy a big orange tom starting marking the pallet rack inside the barn. There is no more big orange tom in the area, coyotes beat me to him.

jdgabbard
05-22-2024, 01:43 PM
Mixed feelings. I'm a cat person myself. I hate to think of putting a cat down, stray tom or not. But, if he's killing your kittens I totally understand. But as mentioned above, that is pretty normal cat behavior. Even lions do that.

HWooldridge
05-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Slightly OT, but I used to have two Australian Shepherd dogs, a bitch and her daughter, who had an organized routine to kill cats. They would slowly approach from 180 degrees apart and the cat wouldn't know which way to look. At some point, the cat would panic and make a break, which was when the dogs would strike. They would almost always catch the cat and pull it in half, then leave the remains where they lay. We had an old one-eyed tom who lived in the garage since both dogs were young, and he was the only one they never attacked. I saw them pull the same trick on a squirrel once, and they never ate the carcass - it was just killing for sport.

Half Dog
05-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Where I am, I don’t have that problem. If that behavior transferred to some neighbor families I wouldn’t object.

country gent
05-22-2024, 03:25 PM
feral cats will take a real toll not only on kittens but rabbits birds and other wildlife.
Had a orange tom get in the garage he decided the place to lay was on the soft top of the t bird. Orange fur all over that black soft top. Took a long time to get it all off that top. He didnt last long.
Theres a big tom next door on the vacant property that may have to be dealt with sometime.

Woodtroll
05-22-2024, 04:58 PM
I don't know why it is, but I've never seen an orange tom cat that wasn't a pain in the ****. They seem to be mostly crazy for some reason. :evil:

MaryB
05-22-2024, 07:15 PM
I used to have an old orange tom that hung around... think old age got him... he was a terror on the gophers, skunks, and even groundhogs. When I was gardening he would wander up to rub my legs, get a back scritch then wander off. Pets were always n his terms and I warned people not to try and pet him unless he initiated it.

Miss the old guy just laying on the corner of the deck if I was sitting out there. Pretty sure he was a drop off, he knew people... as he got older I gave him food once a day and he would empty the bowl in one sitting. Pretty sure he was abused because he would not go near men. But if I was outside alone he was always near me, watched me... he had a den under my shed in an old groundhog burrow so nice and warm in winter. He dragged an old blanket I gave him down there and used it to block the tunnel on cold days. By looks he was at least 18 the last time I fed him. He ate then got some pets and laid at my feet for an hour then wandered off to never be seen again. Like he said his goodbyes and knew it was time... he was pretty crippled up and battle scarred by then.

Tripplebeards
05-22-2024, 07:34 PM
I don't know why it is, but I've never seen an orange tom cat that wasn't a pain in the ****. They seem to be mostly crazy for some reason. :evil:

Yep!

steve urquell
05-22-2024, 08:18 PM
Set a live trap and you'll have your feral tom overnight. Then deal with him in whatever way you see fit.

eastbank
05-22-2024, 08:28 PM
326882this one showed up and took a liking to me, and comes around to visit and as i have enough land i don,t mind him. he brings me things for the food i put out for him. he never comes around when others are here.

rockrat
05-22-2024, 08:41 PM
Neighbor had an unfixed female. Told him he better get her fixed (she was about 12 weeks old then) so he doesn't have a bunch of kittens. Next thing I know he is complaining about the kittens everywhere. One day he was feeding hay and found all the kittens in pieces. Really upset his wife. Next thing he had kittens around again. One survived this time. He had momma fixed then. Think a car got the kitten.

dverna
05-22-2024, 09:06 PM

Cat redheads.

Handloader109
05-22-2024, 11:19 PM
Nah, they aren't all bad. We had a young one tossed out back in 94 in MS. Hid in my shop for a week or so, would slip in dog yard (couple of lazy dachshunds at the time) and steal their dry food.
Finally got hands on the thing and he became my daughter's companion for the 10 or so years he was around. Became a house cat and we never had a litter box and never had a mess in the house. He and my daughter were best buds. He left one morning and didn't come back...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Outer Rondacker
05-23-2024, 06:58 AM
oh no, im not in the burbs, im in a place where the sheriff will come out for old ladies and shoot feral dogs. ive keep 12 gauge, 22 pistol and rifle and a 22 pellet gun handy one at each door just for unwanted critters

Please do share what paradise you live in so we may flock to it for the remaining years. I should share the story how I got my property. I am on a road with no lines and only power on the poles. The previous owner was at the side of the road getting ready to walk into the property and decide where to have them build her house when she heard a gun shot. She drove straight to the real estate office and listed up the land. I got a call and it was sold in minutes. Now I add the the sounds of the lands.

Sometimes you have to do these things. Like putting down the sick family pet its not a fun time but you know.

greybuff
05-23-2024, 11:33 AM
If you do have totake a feral cat out by whatever means, don't write about it in your memoirs!

kerplode
05-23-2024, 11:51 AM
Our little town is just full up with feral and stray cats. There are so many that the animal control won't even pick them up anymore. Sucks 'cause they're decimating the native bird and lizard populations.

Even though they won't take them, if animal control finds out you did something about the problem yourself, they're right there threatening animal cruelty charges...

The cats are just being cats. It's the humans that turn them out in the first place that are the problem.

Nines&Twos
05-23-2024, 12:22 PM
The cats are just being cats. It's the humans that turn them out in the first place that are the problem.

Truth!

2TM101
05-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Slightly OT, but I used to have two Australian Shepherd dogs, a bitch and her daughter, who had an organized routine to kill cats. They would slowly approach from 180 degrees apart and the cat wouldn't know which way to look. At some point, the cat would panic and make a break, which was when the dogs would strike. They would almost always catch the cat and pull it in half, then leave the remains where they lay. We had an old one-eyed tom who lived in the garage since both dogs were young, and he was the only one they never attacked. I saw them pull the same trick on a squirrel once, and they never ate the carcass - it was just killing for sport.

Gang bangers behave the same way. I have given this a lot of thought and I'll just have to deal with the aftermath of killing the closer one f that happens. Cats don't have Glocks though.

HWooldridge
05-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Gang bangers behave the same way. I have given this a lot of thought and I'll just have to deal with the aftermath of killing the closer one f that happens. Cats don't have Glocks though.

All predators must think alike...

jimdeere
05-30-2024, 08:56 PM

Kinda like orange haired women.

jsizemore
05-30-2024, 09:01 PM
Kinda like orange haired women.

Now ya' done it. Wait till WILCO sees this!