PDA

View Full Version : Midway USA Remote Location Surcharges

muskeg13
05-21-2024, 10:03 PM
This complaint is probably old news for many, but Midway USA has lost another 30+ year regular customer due to shipping price gouging. Living in Alaska, while on the road system, I'm used to paying a little extra for shipping, but Midway's remote location surcharges are outrageous! I was planning to purchase a new chronograph and 3 boxes of .30 jacketed bullets, 11.5 lb and $250 before taxes. Before signing in, shipping was estimated at a reasonable $17.60.

Once I entered an Alaska zip and PO Box, shipping jumped to $70.60!!! Not only is there an $18 remote location surcharge, there is another $35 surcharge for shipping over 10 lb to a remote location PO Box! Screw that! Grafs, Buffalo Arms and Brownell's don't play that game, neither did Midsouth or Natchez the last time I ordered from them.

Maybe I'm getting senile, but I'm sure I got an email notification a month or so ago from smiling Larry Potterfield, Mr. Midway USA, stating that Midway was starting to use USPS flat rate shipping and there wouldn't be any remote location fees tacked on if the USPS flat rate delivery was available to the shipping address. Did anyone else see that notification? Maybe I was dreaming.

In the end, I bought a much better (and more expensive) chronograph from Brownell's, the new Garmin Xero Pro doppler radar reviewed by Terry Weiland in the latest issue of "Handloader" and it was $43 less than Midway.

sukivel
05-21-2024, 11:00 PM
I would leave them and take my business elsewhere as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwtebay
05-22-2024, 01:23 AM
Is that shipping via USPS?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JimB..
05-22-2024, 04:13 AM
Let us know how you like that Chrono.

muskeg13
05-22-2024, 05:21 AM
After 38 years as a Midway customer, I'm done. Midway USA's remote location surcharges are a complete scam. Yes, they ship through USPS to my USPS post office box in Alaska. First I pay postage for priority shipping to my zip code, which is fine, but that should be the end of the shipping charges. Once my package leaves Midway's control it is handled by USPS. The USPS doesn't tack on surcharges above the postage rate to deliver my mail to the USPS box I pay several hundred $ to rent every year. Midway's remote location surcharges should be illegal. Midway customer service sent me a feeble email excuse that "their" shipping carrier tacks on these additional fees and it's beyond Midway's control. That's total BS! The fancy new "Nitro" shipping system is Midway's own system.

There is no excuse, particularly when USPS flat rate postage pricing is the same throughout the entire USA.

I'll let you know how the new chronograph works. It will replace my 30+ yo CHRONY Gamma that I bought from Midway.

Shawlerbrook
05-22-2024, 06:00 AM
For high price items like optics, chronos, etc., I always check Amazon. Don’t know if their free shipping option goes to remote Alaska.

Half Dog
05-22-2024, 07:30 AM
This is troubling. I see the same thing happening at many places and our little voices aren’t heard. Look how our voices impacted Dicks Sporting Goods profits.

tigweldit
05-22-2024, 07:35 AM
I was a big fan of Midway years ago. Not so much anymore.

dverna
05-22-2024, 08:09 AM
I am shooting less and downsizing more so not buying as much stuff. Over the last few years I have been doing most of my buying from MidSouth or Amazon. I used to use MidWay a lot but things change.

MrWolf
05-22-2024, 08:58 AM
For high price items like optics, chronos, etc., I always check Amazon. Don’t know if their free shipping option goes to remote Alaska.

Amazon hits rural folks also. If I get a defective item, they want me to pay for a UPS pickup ($7.99) or drop it off at a UPS facility which are 45 minutes away for me. I complain all the time and they started it over a year ago. My drivers are good about it and will take the boxes when they are out but it is a pain. I really have no choices out here and deal with Amazon or Walmart for realistic prices and delivery.

stubshaft
05-22-2024, 02:15 PM
I hear you Brother! I got tired of Midways antics with their shipping to Hawaii.

TNsailorman
05-22-2024, 04:03 PM
Dick's made a big announcement in our town newspaper about removing all pistol and "assault rifle" sales from their stores. Worked like a charm. They are now out of business and the building is standing empty. Good riddance. james

elmacgyver0
05-22-2024, 04:19 PM
Dick's made a big announcement in our town newspaper about removing all pistol and "assault rifle" sales from their stores. Worked like a charm. They are now out of business and the building is standing empty. Good riddance. james

I wish the one where I live would go out of business.
That's not nice, now, is it?
Well tough.

muskeg13
05-22-2024, 05:23 PM

Yes. I buy a lot of stuff off of Amazon. They have no problem shipping to Alaska and their free shipping option is well worth the Amazon Prime fee. If something isn't needed immediately or might be hard to find locally, Amazon has become my Go-To place for everything from razor blades to mealworms for my chickens. Unfortunately, Amazon's politics prevent them from carrying most firearms/reloading related items, and you have to sort through all of the Chinese stuff when seeking U.S. made products.

A caution on supposed U.S. made products offered on Amazon: Check the detailed product specifications for Country of Origin. I've had several instances of seeing a U.S. flag prominently featured in the ad, but the product is made in China. Also, when buying something where you need to fill in sizes or colors, check the Country of Origin after you've made your final selection. I've had the main ad say Made in USA, but when I select a specific size or color, have the origin change to manufacture in another country.

Gtek
05-22-2024, 05:23 PM
When DICK'S made the decision and pulled the AR's, I made the decision to never pass through their doors again. Midway has really disappointed me with their tiny bubble floppy envelopes and after several smashed items, I shop really hard for price and alternatives.

jcullen
05-22-2024, 05:39 PM
Midway Domestic shipping is going down the bowl, ordered on 5/2 shipped by UPS switched to USPS in Orlando, bounced up and down Florida for a week, then went silent, no movement for a week, showed up at the house on 5/17.. While I was waiting I ordered the same item on 5/14 with plans of returning the last one to show up, also upgraded shipping to USPS Priority, here we are again 10 days and shipping shows no movement. I'm done with Midway

whisler
05-22-2024, 08:25 PM
USPS priority problems are not Midway's fault but are the problem with the crappy way USPS is run. I shipped an item to NH priority mail and it took 8 days to arrive. It was in NH in 2 days, then bounced around PA and then NY and finally to NH. I'm not defending Midways shipping charges, but the post office is the cause of delays in many cases.

Barry54
05-23-2024, 06:44 AM
Midway Domestic shipping is going down the bowl, ordered on 5/2 shipped by UPS switched to USPS in Orlando, bounced up and down Florida for a week, then went silent, no movement for a week, showed up at the house on 5/17.. While I was waiting I ordered the same item on 5/14 with plans of returning the last one to show up, also upgraded shipping to USPS Priority, here we are again 8 days and shipping shows no movement. I'm done with Midway

Put a box of ammunition in your order. The USPS won’t touch it. Then all that nonsense goes away.

schutzen-jager
05-23-2024, 07:13 AM
gave up on Midway years ago -

HARLOWPARKENFARKER
05-23-2024, 08:03 AM
:lovebooli Five Star rating Message. I spend 6 mos. per year in Hawaii, same, "Remote Location," b/s. Amazon Prime has the same method; sign up with prime, no Remote Location fees and if your order is above a certain amount of $$, Free Shipping!

30calflash
05-23-2024, 09:26 AM
I stopped buying from Midway due to overcharges on shipping 20 years ago. Once they stopped including shipping in the price and went to 'fair and honest shipping' it started going downhill on shipping costs fast.

If you want more for a product, state is thusly and don't try to make it up on shipping, JMHO.

deces
05-23-2024, 11:01 AM
I was never upset about midway's shipping. But getting a couple orders of items that someone had returned and being resold as new again, really chapped my hide.

35 Rem
05-23-2024, 11:06 AM
I don't blame the OP for avoiding Midway due to those remote shipping costs but since they don't apply to me I still consider Midway a potential source for all things reloading. My main beef with them is their poor packaging for heavy items. It seems as if they have 6 year old kids packing some of those boxes with a heavy item flopping around in a big oversize box with just a couple of their green shipping "pillows" to take up space. The box arrives all busted, ripped, etc. and may or may not contain all the products I ordered.

kerplode
05-23-2024, 11:41 AM

Lots of counterfeits on Amazon...

I used to do a lot of business with Uncle Larry, but yeah, lately they've been losing their luster for me as well. Prices are a lot higher, stuff is all just randomly thrown in a box with minimal padding like it was packed by a chimp on meth, if something goes missing in transit or shows up busted, they do their best to make it your problem. Just overall not the experience it used to be.

The Xero, though...That thing is awesome! Kinda makes me wish I had waited a couple more years on buying a Lab Radar.

MOshooter
05-23-2024, 12:21 PM
I completely understand doing business else where with shipping costs like that.

I still shop at Midway since they're only about 20 minutes away. I just pickup to avoid shipping cost and get what I need when I need it. They usually have my pickup order ready within an hour, after placing the online order.
My complaint with Midway, you really need to check current pricing, Midway seems to jockey prices quite often.
I was going to order a tumbler, the week before it was 171.00. The next week they had that same tumbler, but selling blemished? at 189.99?
I ordered from Natchez for 159.99, and got great fair shipping service.

redriverhunter
05-23-2024, 01:34 PM
Put a box of ammunition in your order. The USPS won’t touch it. Then all that nonsense goes away.

I wonder weather the USPO knew what was in the box. I ordered 22lr ammo from midway a few years ago I was shipped UPS. The package was then dropped off at my local post office who then delivered it the next day.

Barry54
05-23-2024, 02:55 PM
I wonder weather the USPO knew what was in the box. I ordered 22lr ammo from midway a few years ago I was shipped UPS. The package was then dropped off at my local post office who then delivered it the next day.

Then that probably was a mistake from MidwayUSA.

Handloader109
05-23-2024, 04:55 PM
The issue is that they are using a multi shipper system. Ups or fedex first and final local by usps. I'd bet there are hidden exceptions whereby UsPs can receive from a different shipper and deliver to final destination even if it contains ammo. But using this system usually doubles shipping times and increases damages at no savings to the customer.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

JimB..
05-23-2024, 05:52 PM
After 38 years as a Midway customer, I'm done. Midway USA's remote location surcharges are a complete scam. Yes, they ship through USPS to my USPS post office box in Alaska. First I pay postage for priority shipping to my zip code, which is fine, but that should be the end of the shipping charges. Once my package leaves Midway's control it is handled by USPS. The USPS doesn't tack on surcharges above the postage rate to deliver my mail to the USPS box I pay several hundred $ to rent every year. Midway's remote location surcharges should be illegal. Midway customer service sent me a feeble email excuse that "their" shipping carrier tacks on these additional fees and it's beyond Midway's control. That's total BS! The fancy new "Nitro" shipping system is Midway's own system.

There is no excuse, particularly when USPS flat rate postage pricing is the same throughout the entire USA.

I'll let you know how the new chronograph works. It will replace my 30+ yo CHRONY Gamma that I bought from Midway.

Not sure that the add on charges from the delivering carrier are BS. USPS doesn’t tack on fees for retail delivery, but they very well could for wholesale customers.

charlie b
05-23-2024, 06:00 PM
I'm another who has kinda given up on Midway. Places like Graf's, Powder Valley, Titan, Brownell's, etc do well for me.

USPS has gone to hell since the new postmaster was put in place during the last administration (and COVID). It had problems before that but the wholesale upset of the personnel structure screwed everything up.

Back when we had our own business I shipped only through USPS. Best rates, most reliable ship times and the fewest damaged packages. Now days all of the shippers have problems. Interesting that most of the 'least cost' shipments are sent via FedEx or UPS and they transfer the packages to USPS for final delivery. Adds a bunch of time just so more people can make a profit.

MOshooter
05-23-2024, 07:44 PM
I will say the first time I met Larry Potterfield was 1981, he had a very small gun shop at Midway,MO. and in the back area he had a bunch of white and blue boxes that said Midway.
In that very small gun shop is where he started MidwayUSA in 1977, the man has created an empire, everything he ventures into turns to gold?
He was fresh out of the USAF when he opened his very little gun shop in Midway, MO.

Kenstone
05-23-2024, 08:27 PM
I will say the first time I met Larry Potterfield was 1981, he had a very small gun shop at Midway,MO. and in the back area he had a bunch of white and blue boxes that said Midway.
In that very small gun shop is where he started MidwayUSA in 1977, the man has created an empire, everything he ventures into turns to gold?
He was fresh out of the USAF when he opened his very little gun shop in Midway, MO.

Yep, I remember when I called Midway, Larry answered the phone and took my order.
Bought 1000 38 special once fired nickel cases.
The box came with straw/hay for packing...
:coffeecom

Jack Stanley
05-25-2024, 09:01 AM
It's been so long since I ordered from Midway , I can't remember when I stopped . I have browsed their selection from time to time but the surprises have stopped me .

Jack

compass will
05-25-2024, 09:15 AM
I remember hearing a postal worker compaing about "doing UPS's job and delevering their packages." If it wasn't for ups, amazon, and junk mail, they wouldn't have a job

rintinglen
05-27-2024, 12:14 PM
I was a dedicated Midway shopper, but as they offered more "stuff," (sleeping bags, hunting clothes, socks, shoes, fishing gear, camping supplies, etc, etc) it seemed as though the shooting stuff got more and more costly, while "out of stock" notices became more and more common. Nowadays, if it is not on sale, I don"t buy from them. Most of my brass comes from Grafs, and most other things I get either from Amazon, Ebay, Midsouth or "other." The search engine is my friend.

Wm Cook
05-28-2024, 11:34 AM
I’m the outlier on this one. Here are some of the positives:

- Every 30 to 45 days Midway has free shipping on orders over $x (currently today they have one running that has free shipping on orders over $99).

- After placing an order I receive e mail notice that it’s in process and most always I receive notice that it’s been packaged and a shipping label has been run within 4 hours. If you need to change anything on the order you have to move quick because their turnaround time between receiving an order and packaging is incredible .

- Their birthday discounts are now a tradition for me. I throw things in the “save for later” list and filter out the wishes from the needs when my birthday comes about and they give a great discount the week or so before your birthday.wouldn’t miss it.

- Delivery is typically 2 to 4 days since I live in the Midwest.

For “Remote Locations” customers stick to Amazon & make Bezos richer. I ran a vintage bike parts business for 10 years and I choked every time I had to charge my customers an arm & a leg when shipping to Alaska and Hawaii. Bill C

barnabus
05-30-2024, 06:01 AM
lying larry does it again.....

deces
05-30-2024, 11:44 AM

I doubt Larry is even with the company anymore. Last I read their family soldout.

Wm Cook
05-30-2024, 01:07 PM

Just curious. What were you referencing with that comment? Thanks, Bill C.

Mauser88
05-30-2024, 01:12 PM
Midway was always my first choice as far back as the 90's. Then I discovered Natchez. I always felt the prices were better. Also had some good experiences with Graf & Sons too.

ebb
05-31-2024, 01:20 PM
For the last couple of years Midway has always been more costly than almost all the others. I had been looking for Nosler 123 gr 6.5mm bullets. For a long time, they were way over $150. I started to see them come down in price a few months back. I found them for $99 at a few places but the shipping was too much and a store that everybody uses at my other forum Blue Collar Reloading was out of stock. I bought them from Natchez for $109 but then noticed a few days after my order they went to $99. Some things are coming down in price, not primers. not powder and nothing at Midway USA. I am not the biggest fan of Larry, but they were way better (hours ,price and shipping) with Larry than since.

cwtebay
05-31-2024, 04:57 PM
I guess I don't understand this post. So the OP is upset because his shipping went up - though he's in Zone 8. With that logic, should you be able to drive 1000 miles for the same money as 5?
Yes, Midway prices have gone up - but I don't believe that was the original beef of the OP - it was shipping costs.
I guess if you don't like it.....do what I do with Walmart! Don't shop there.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm?_gl=1*xl7jpi*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE3MTcxODg 0MjYuQ2owS0NRanc2dVd5QmhEMUFSSXNSU1jQURvZnlyNHVfZG ZyOGxnMTBwcE1BWWlGampyU2VQQkFjWE9jWVM4NTc2OWo3SnBq UXdmem1ad2FBdTNURUFMd193Y0I.*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE3MTcxO Dg0MjYuQ2owS0NRanc2dVd5QmhEMUFSSXNBSU1jQURvZnlyNHV fZGZyOGxnMTBwcE1BWWlGampyU2VQQkFjWE9jWVM4NTc2OWo3S nBqUXdmem1ad2FBdTNURUFMd193Y0I.*_gcl_au*MjEyMTQ5MD IyOC4xNzE0NjIzODYw*_ga*NjA0MTIwMTk3LjE3MTQ2MjM4NjE .*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V*MTcxNzE4ODI2OC4yLjEuMTcxNzE4ODQ1M i4wLjAuMA..

muskeg13
05-31-2024, 07:05 PM
I guess I don't understand this post. So the OP is upset because his shipping went up - though he's in Zone 8. With that logic, should you be able to drive 1000 miles for the same money as 5?
Yes, Midway prices have gone up - but I don't believe that was the original beef of the OP - it was shipping costs.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm?_gl=1*xl7jpi*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE3MTcxODg 0MjYuQ2owS0NRanc2dVd5QmhEMUFSSXNSU1jQURvZnlyNHVfZG ZyOGxnMTBwcE1BWWlGampyU2VQQkFjWE9jWVM4NTc2OWo3SnBq UXdmem1ad2FBdTNURUFMd193Y0I.*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE3MTcxO Dg0MjYuQ2owS0NRanc2dVd5QmhEMUFSSXNBSU1jQURvZnlyNHV fZGZyOGxnMTBwcE1BWWlGampyU2VQQkFjWE9jWVM4NTc2OWo3S nBqUXdmem1ad2FBdTNURUFMd193Y0I.*_gcl_au*MjEyMTQ5MD IyOC4xNzE0NjIzODYw*_ga*NjA0MTIwMTk3LjE3MTQ2MjM4NjE .*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V*MTcxNzE4ODI2OC4yLjEuMTcxNzE4ODQ1M i4wLjAuMA..

1. USPS flat rate shipping postage is the same exact fee across the entire USA, anywhere the USPS delivers, from Maine to Hawaii.

2. The extra remote location $35 surcharge for delivery to a PO Box if the package weighs more than 10 pounds is absolute BS (thievery). The USPS has no additional charges for delivery to PO boxes, and nothing additional is tacked on for shipments over 10 pounds above the initial postage charges. This is something Midway and their Nitro system use to screw unsuspecting customers when they can get away with it.

3. I have no beef with the set USPS postage rates. With flat rate, yes you can drive 1000 miles for the same cost as 5 miles. With USPS priority and other rates the shipping costs are set based on weight and distance, but there are no additional add on fees after the initial postage charge is determined. Midway's Remote Location fees are in addition to USPS postage.

elmacgyver0
05-31-2024, 07:28 PM

To elaborate on this a bit, if you don't like their shipping charges, just pick it up at their store. I think an extra $18.00 is a small price to pay to live in a hunter's paradise.
You have enjoyed cheap shipping for a long time, now it has started to catch up.
Let's face it, it costs more to ship to far out of the way places, they would have to raise prices more to the lower 48 to keep the same shipping to Alaska and Hawaii and wherever.
I know it is not nice and seems unfair, but that is the reality of the situation, and it will only get worse if something doesn't change soon.

muskeg13
05-31-2024, 08:00 PM
To elaborate on this a bit, if you don't like their shipping charges, just pick it up at their store. I think an extra $18.00 is a small price to pay to live in a hunter's paradise.
You have enjoyed cheap shipping for a long time, now it has started to catch up.
Let's face it, it costs more to ship to far out of the way places, they would have to raise prices more to the lower 48 to keep the same shipping to Alaska and Hawaii and wherever.
I know it is not nice and seems unfair, but that is the reality of the situation, and it will only get worse if something doesn't change soon.

You don't seem to understand. It wasn't an additional $18. The order was going to be shipped via USPS Priority for $17.60 which is perfectly OK, but then Midway (Nitro) attempted to tack on an additional $53. How is that justified? USPS was the shipper. It wasn't USPS driving up the cost another $53 it was Midway. How does it cost Midway $53 to ship a package via USPS for $17.60, and how is it justified that $35 of the additional $53 was just because the package was going to a USPS post office box? USPS doesn't charge anything extra for delivery to one of their own PO boxes.

cwtebay
05-31-2024, 08:29 PM
So...I don't think I explained myself fully.
You have to be able to maintain the same standards for each customer that is serviced. That means guarantees against breakage/ dislike / mis order / etc. Which means that you incur risk with shipping everywhere. But FAR greater risk when putting said package on a ship or plane or donkey to get it to the far-flung customers that are serviced. AND be able to return that. Whether you have to package differently, or ship in smaller multiple packages to limit risk......
When I ship to my clients I charge for S&S and insurance. More distance - more insurance.
Definitely worth more money IMHO.