PDA

View Full Version : Diy small critter cage trap

Wolfdog91
05-21-2024, 04:06 AM
Tweaked this off of a design I saw in the story but they wanted $67 ! Really easy to build as long as you can bend and cut some wire and use a set of rabbit cage pliers lol

https://youtu.be/VFuwwbngdx4?si=tDS-iL7NLmcSU0bF

sureYnot
05-21-2024, 05:17 AM
Slick

waksupi
05-21-2024, 10:24 AM
Great project, well done!

Woodtroll
05-21-2024, 08:16 PM
Nice job!

country gent
05-21-2024, 09:49 PM
We had a wood form made 6" square 2' long would cut the wire so both lengths had the wires sticking out open ended. bend around form and wrap wires around the main and sides.Doors were cut slightly smaller smooth sided . used them in muskrat runs and holes below water line. they work good and are easy to make as said. we would buy a roll of wire every couple years and add to our collection. I believe we used heavy dykes to cut and bend wire.
I think the best we did was in a fresh heavy run to a den hole was 4 muskrats in one trap in one night. The animal goes in is caught and the trap is rest.

You did a great job Wolf.

contender1
05-21-2024, 10:37 PM
Another excellent posting of a good DIY job.

Here's an idea.

That trap will catch (1) animal normally. Here's how to make it a multi-catch trap.

Make it about 6"-12" longer.
Then, make one door,, (or as country gent mentions, like a muskrat trap, doors on each end.)
BUT,, the difference is this.
Make the door piece longer, by about 3"-4" over the size of the opening. Attach it 1-2 sections inside the trap,, and fold the "ledge" to where the door, at rest,, is angled inward, and the ledge is about 3" long. They enter from the open end,, pushing to door inward, and after in, it closes behind them by just gravity. If the try & push it from the inside,, they will not only be standing on the "ledge" they will be pushing against the angle. I have some 3ft to 3-1/2 ft long squirrel traps like this. I place them over a hole in a house. As the squirrels exit the hole, they get in the trap,, and it'll catch multiples easily.

Springfield
05-21-2024, 10:46 PM
I like DIY, but not worth my time. https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/gardening-garden-tools/pest-control/animal-chasers-traps.html

contender1
05-22-2024, 08:28 AM
Harbor freight traps are junk that need work to make them effective.

country gent
05-22-2024, 09:37 AM
Evern the hav a heart traps have the doors backwards allowing the animals tail to keep it from locking and allowing them to get out.The trap shown dosnt let this happen as the doors angle is right and they cant get under it.

Springfield
05-22-2024, 09:41 AM
We have caught 3 feral cats to have them fixed/vaccinated and released and they worked fine for us. Nothing is perfect for everyone.

15meter
05-22-2024, 12:41 PM
Rabbit cage pliers.

Had to look them up.

Learn new, weird stuff every day.

Had no idea they were even a thing and I've got probably 30+ different styles of pliers.

MT Gianni
05-29-2024, 07:30 PM
Raccoons are dirty animals. I recommend soaking that trap in a garbage can full of water if you catch one or a skunk. 30 minutes is generally long enough before you open it.

elmacgyver0
05-29-2024, 08:01 PM
I once made a pretty cool cage for a sugar glider.
Never did get a sugar glider and ended up giving the cage away.
Decided I liked dogs better.

Wolfdog91
05-30-2024, 12:27 PM
Raccoons are dirty animals. I recommend soaking that trap in a garbage can full of water if you catch one or a skunk. 30 minutes is generally long enough before you open it.

.22 to the dome , pull them out , fresh dirt on the bottom,keep going. About anything else is a waste or time

sureYnot
05-30-2024, 01:00 PM
Raccoons are dirty animals. I recommend soaking that trap in a garbage can full of water if you catch one or a skunk. 30 minutes is generally long enough before you open it.Raccoon makes one helluva bean soup. I have many quarts of coon on my shelf. Tastes like pork.